ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New owner of a V6.

PH1 V6
Where are you getting the KW's from ? I thought they'd have them ready to go.
Apparently not mate, they're made to order.
Ordered through SGMotorsports and I assume they're V6 specific meaning they wouldn't be a huge demand for them.
It was the same when I bought ClubSports for my R53 Mini GP. The fronts were a R53 fit and the rears were a R56 fit and they had to be made to order.
This is an assumption by me rather than a fact as new into Renaults and by no means overly clued up on them :up:

Apparently not mate, they're made to order.
Ordered through SGMotorsports and I assume they're V6 specific meaning they wouldn't be a huge demand for them.
It was the same when I bought ClubSports for my R53 Mini GP. The fronts were a R53 fit and the rears were a R56 fit and they had to be made to order.
Ah right, I did read that the ones for our car and the Phase2 were different. I guess they don't sell many sets for them.

V6 255, 172's, JCW,
Your V6 looks very nice, and the additional modifications you have planned sound good too. I myself have KW V3's on my Phase 1 and I also swapped over to a set of the Phase 2 18" wheels back in April. I opted to fit Michelin Pilot Super Sports with the rears being 245/40/R18 and the fronts 205/40/R18 and have been very impressed with them. Do you have your spacers and extended wheel bolts for the rears sorted out yet?

Here is a picture of my car I took earlier in the year to give you an idea of how the car looks with the KW's and the 18" wheels:

View attachment 1343917

I'm also looking forward to seeing how your new seats turn out, I have black Recaro Pole Positions in mine but have always planned to eventually get them re-trimmed to better match the blue/grey interior.

Looking, and sitting fantastic Will..! Hope you're well mate.. Must catch up sometime..!!

PH1 V6
Got the 18's on, looks much better.
I like the wheels on a car to be at the very edge of the arches so, 20mm spacers to the rear and 15mm to the front and now they sit perfectly.
Perhaps it's time I should start growing old gracefully?

IMG_1060.jpg

These have also arrived at SG, hopefully on in 2 to 3 weeks, he's a busy man!

IMG_1059.jpg

Last edited:
  PH1 V6
That looks great with those wheels on, very clean :up:

I wasn't 100% sure how much of a visual difference going from 17" to 18" would make, especially with them being the same wheel.
Keep in mind the cost of the wheels for a Vee could be fairly classed as a rip off, it was a bit of a gamble!
Delighted with the result though, only an inch on the diameter but look so different.

RB 182 Cup,E46 M3 CS
Lovely car, I'm liking your car history too. I'm not surprised you were bored of the E92 after owning a CSL!

Looking, and sitting fantastic Will..! Hope you're well mate.. Must catch up sometime..!!

Thanks Shaun, I’m ok I hope you are too. I’m not sure when I’ll be up your way again, perhaps next spring/summer.

@moktabe The new seats and wheels look great. I too was a little skeptical as to how much difference visually the 18” wheels would make before I fitted mine but I feel they just look so much better. I had the KW’s fitted with the OEM 17’s originally and the slightly reduced ride height just highlighted how far the 17’s sit within the wheel arches at the front. The difference in offset on the front 18’s solved that issue nicely though, the 15mm spacers you have on top of this must have them right on the edge of the arches.

It’s good to see that your coilovers have arrived, I think I must have been lucky as I seem to remember mine arrived reasonably quickly. Are you going to retain the OEM front top mounts or replace them with solid items from somewhere like Pure Motorsport? Initially I was going to keep them on mine but Scott suggested upgrading to the solid ones.

After seeing everything you have been doing to your car on here I must get around to updating my project thread. :up:

PH1 V6
Hello mate,
The spacers on the front bring the edge of the tyre level with the edge of the wheelarch which I prefer tbh. Wheels were originally fitted without them but they were soon fitted!
It's taken almost 4 weeks for the KWs to arrive and Scott has advised the fitting of the solid top mounts.
The difference the new seats and smaller steering wheel have made to both the appearance and the feel of the interior is amazing. Sit quite a bit lower than the oem ones and the smaller wheel gives the placebo effect of sharper steering.....still rubbish for a 3 point turn though :anguished:

PH1 V6
Coilies have been set 5mm lower on the rears now, going to run for 2 or 3 weeks then will decide whether or not to go maybe up to another 5mm down both front and rear.

Cloudy foglights have been done with a yellow tint, quite expensive to replace for what they are so well worth a go....and I like the results.
PH2 rear lights also now fitted.

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1071.jpg

Hello mate,
The spacers on the front bring the edge of the tyre level with the edge of the wheelarch which I prefer tbh. Wheels were originally fitted without them but they were soon fitted!
It's taken almost 4 weeks for the KWs to arrive and Scott has advised the fitting of the solid top mounts.
The difference the new seats and smaller steering wheel have made to both the appearance and the feel of the interior is amazing. Sit quite a bit lower than the oem ones and the smaller wheel gives the placebo effect of sharper steering.....still rubbish for a 3 point turn though :anguished:

I’d definitely agree that a lower seating position and smaller steering wheel make a big difference with how the car feels to drive, I also have to agree regarding 3 point turns haha! They seem to be closer to a 5 point turn most of time unless you’re lucky enough to find a wide empty road.

I see that since I last posted you have now got your car back with the coilovers fitted, it looks great! Did you get the solid top mounts fitted in the end? I never really got to try my car out with the coilovers and standard top mounts so i’m not sure how much difference the solid mounts make alone, both in terms of improvements but also in terms of negatives such as a harsher ride.

I prefer the looks of the Phase 1 rear lights on the Phase 1 v6 but they really do seem crap in comparison to the Phase 2 lights when you’re trying to reverse in the dark and I have even tried fitting much brighter bulbs but the area illuminated still seems rubbish compared to my old 172 Cup.

Have you removed the Trophy Spoiler or is it just not visible from the angle that picture of the front of the car was taken at?

Do you have any more plans for the car or have you got things how you want them now?

PH1 V6
According to Scott, the spherical bearing top mounts sharpen the front end response up however, not having tried with just coilovers and oem mounts I can't compare. Trust Scott implicitly though having had many chats and calls with him, it's good to find someone who knows these cars inside out and doesn't want to rob your eyes out.
As it is now with the top mounts the reaction and the steering now feel razor sharp. Have never seen anyone so pedantic in getting the geo settings spot on, it's nice to see that attention to detail these days.
Ahhh, the spoiler. It's currently off the car having the fibreglass mounting points repaired, it didn't take a great deal to remove it....just a dark night, an automatic industrial steel door that tripped out before it went right up and, as you've mentioned, crappy reversing lights and no street lights!! The thing could have been much worse and the actual car could have been damaged as opposed to a fibreglass spoiler.
When it's remounted the fixing bolts will be bonded into it meaning the 4 mounting holes on the top can be filled. By the time it's repainted there will be no visible fixing points on show so it should look way better.
Future plans are the fitting of 2 piece brake discs front and rear ( will make no difference on the road but will look quite aggressive behind the wheels which will suit the way the car is going...it's all about looks isn't it? :smile: ), yellow callipers instead of the current red ones, a set of tubular manifolds, a pair of sport cats and a better collector box made to marry up to the new back box. Scott reckons with that sort of breathability when you put your foot down mid-range the will feel much sharper instead of just making more noise. Apparently the PH1 Vee is quite asthmatic!

Scott spent a lot of time getting the geo settings set up properly on my car too after the coilover install. A decent set up makes a huge difference to the way these cars handles. I’m sure that some of the reputation the Phase 1 has regretably built up over the years regarding it’s handling has come from people driving examples that haven't had a decent wheel alignment in ages.

It’s a shame about your spoiler but good to hear it’s getting fixed and will come back stronger than before and the hidden fixings will be a bonus. Your other plans sound good, i’ve seen a few examples fitted with the two piece discs and they have looked really nice, they might also be a nice performance upgrade if you ever decide to take the car on a track day.
I’d also like to replace the manifolds on my car one day with a decent set of tubular manifolds and install sports catalytic converters but I can’t justify it right now so it will just have to wait, at least when I bought my v6 it came with a Janspeed silencer already installed (and the original item boxed up).

Are you after the flexible rubber front splitter the car originally came with or a Trophy splitter? The former, if it’s even still available through Renault anymore is ridiculously priced for what it is (standard Renault pricing policy for v6 parts haha!) but i’m led to believe a Skoda Fabia splitter can be cut down and made to fit quite easily whilst still looking like an original and they are only £12.50 on eBay.
If it’s the latter then “Russo” on the v6 owners club makes a very good quality replica Trophy splitter from a mould he took from an original. I did have one along with an original Trophy rear spoiler but I never fitted them as I couldn’t track down a set of Cromodora wheels at a price that wasn’t absurd to complete the look I wanted. I also came to the conclusion the front splitter would probably get ripped off on the roads around here so I sold them both to help fund a set of Phase 2 18” wheels.

PH1 V6
Had one of the Skoda jobbies fitted by Scott the first time the car went to him. Asked him to bin it when he was fitting the coilovers as the profile of it was going to be too deep, it was fine on PH1 wheels and tyres but on the PH2 kit it scuffed slightly on one of those raised pedestrian crossings nearby to where I live, with the car now lowered a bit more it had to go.
Been in touch with "Russo" yesterday evening and will be having one of the Trophy reps from him. A bonus is that he can make them a thinner profile if necessary increasing its chance of survival.
The manifolds and associated kit will be the last job due to the expense of it, pricey but worth it.
Agree on the Cromadoras, like the idea of a set but, as you say, the cost of any that become available is absurd, PH2 wheels were eye watering enough! Plus I'd be concerned about the integrity of them on our roads and what a Winter would do to them, yes they could be run as Summer wheels but to me swapping wheels around is fine in principle, in reality it wouldn't happen.

I always wanted a set of the Chromodora's! But you're right, they're not all weather wheel. There is a set doing the rounds on eBay, iirc they're in the £3000 + region, without tyres.

Yours looks great on the 18's, but I think the fronts are just a little bit too far out (way better than normal though as they're completely lost) By the way, I think you can buy Scenic fog lights cheap, apparently they're the same things.

PH1 V6
Mock up of the tyre lettering whilst waiting for the discs / hoses to arrive. They will be applied then whilst the wheels are off. The lettering had arrived and tacked one set on with tape to get a guide of how they looked.....Spot on imo:up:. I know they're not to everyones taste but, as I always say, it ain't everyones car. The lettering is the permanently bonded on stuff, not the peel and stick variety.
The way the car is now sitting I think it's aggressive / loony enough to carry them off.

Toyed with the idea of getting a full motorsport style wrap on the car, quite like the idea but not the practicality. Would look a bit strange when pooling about in it so, will give that idea a miss.

I’m not normally a fan of tyre lettering, so I am somewhat surprised that I actually think the mock up picture looks alright. As you say I think the way you have car setup at the moment with the wheels right at the edge of the arches means it can pull the look off, adding the Trophy spoiler to the rear again and the new splitter will only add to that. As it’s been a couple of weeks since you posted, have the new brake discs and hoses arrived yet? And have you permanently fitted the lettering?

PH1 V6
Changes are currently underway, being done mainly late pm / evening time as the guy doing the work is tied up with jury duty.
Discs arrived along with braided hoses,

Callipers repainted,

Tyre lettering sorted, also trying out a USA supplied tyre dressing. Called Black Pearl it's supposed to be long term, reviews seemed good so giving it a try.

Spoiler refitted, a few minor detail changes also done / being done.
Front splitter manufacture almost finished, will be painted upon delivery and fitted when time allows.

Should all be back together Fri night / Sat morning and back on the road.

PH1 V6
Lovely!!!

But the tyre lettering looks abit pony, guy has done it in my road, and look proper pants.
It's all a bit subjective in reality, be no good if we all liked the same thing :up:
I see all the car changes as.....try iy, if I like it then great, if I don't then the bin awaits....although the lettering will take some getting off :laughing:

The new discs look nice, where did you get them from? And are the Renault Sport Decals on the calipers lacquered over or just stuck on to the surface?

I do still to my surprise quite like the tyre lettering, I’m not sure they would look as good on a standard v6 but as I said in my last post the combination of the Trophy spoiler and the wheels sitting right at the edge of the arches means it can pull the look off. I also think the Michelin stickers on the bodywork look alright, I’m not so sure about the Elf ones or the RenaultSport stickers under the door mirrors though but as you have said before it’s your car and the world would be a dull place if we all liked the same thing.

Are you going to be painting the front splitter silver? I’d definitely suggest test fitting it with the black gel coat finish first, I’ve seen it fitted in person in both silver and the black the gel coat and in my opinion the black looks much better. Again it’s your car and your personal taste but it’s easier to remove it and paint it silver if you don’t like the black once it’s been fitted than it is to paint it silver, fit it and then decide it doesn’t look as good.

I look forward to seeing more updates.

PH1 V6
They came through K-Tec, 2 to 3 week wait. The decals to the calipers were applied after painting and the lacquered over.
The current plans for the splitter are to do it matte black. Phil has told me it's out of the mould and just needs trimming.
Agree with your comment ref the lettering, on a standard car it wouldn't suit at all. The Elf and RenaultSport stickers to the side are there to break the side view a little, at times the side view can look a little bland with being silver, if I change my mind on any of them they can easily be taken off but for now, they're staying :up:

Better pic of the seats and steering wheel although it was prior to being vacuumed!

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Welcome to the V6 ownership club mate, bet you're as thrilled as I was when I became a member.

Looks really tidy too!

This was a lie, I have never been and never will be able to be a member of V6 ownership but I am very jealous.

PH1 V6
Welcome to the V6 ownership club mate, bet you're as thrilled as I was when I became a member.

Looks really tidy too!

This was a lie, I have never been and never will be able to be a member of V6 ownership but I am very jealous.

Bit of a crusty here but, one thing I've learnt....

Never say never :up:

S-Max & Mk7 GTi
Is it down at Shop n Shine @moktabe? Workshop looks familiar. It’s looking bloody awesome btw, I’m defo getting in touch over the next few weeks to pop over for a look.

Off topic but you don’t know of anywhere local (but really good) to get four Turinis refurbished do you?

PH1 V6
It was next door at ATD Detailing, Arun is a perfectionist and has done a fair bit to the car.

I'll speak to him Monday and he'll know where to send your wheels.

They came through K-Tec, 2 to 3 week wait. The decals to the calipers were applied after painting and the lacquered over.
The current plans for the splitter are to do it matte black. Phil has told me it's out of the mould and just needs trimming.
Agree with your comment ref the lettering, on a standard car it wouldn't suit at all. The Elf and RenaultSport stickers to the side are there to break the side view a little, at times the side view can look a little bland with being silver, if I change my mind on any of them they can easily be taken off but for now, they're staying :up:

I forgot K-Tec sold them, I checked the price... I guess I better start saving now Haha! The splitter should look nice in Matte black, I’d say the gel coat is probably a satin finish already. Have you seen the sponsor stickers on the original Yellow Clio v6 Trophy Cars as they left the factory? They run along the bottom of the door and might help break up the side profile a bit. Here’s a picture:

06116486-8741-461B-AF9A-305B844C2F70.jpeg

Sorry the quality isn’t great but it’s the best I could find on Google images showing the original side sponsor stickers.

I don’t know, maybe they would be a bit over the top but I thought i’d mention it anyway. A member on the v6 Forum who owned a very nice Phase 1 which had been resprayed yellow (I think he’s sold it now) had them on his car for a bit and they looked good.

PH1 V6
Thanks for the pic Will,
Had a search on eBay and they're all on there.
Like you say, it's easy to go over the top but it's well worth a bit of thinking about.