ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New owner of a V6.

PH1 V6
This will be on later today,
Hopefully it'll last past the first speed hump, it has 2 chances!
@Will 172 Cup, it's one of Phils', asked him to make the lip 20mm as opposed to 25 or 30mm which I think they normally are.

This will be on later today,
Hopefully it'll last past the first speed hump, it has 2 chances!
@Will 172 Cup, it's one of Phils', asked him to make the lip 20mm as opposed to 25 or 30mm which I think they normally are.

Good to read your splitter has arrived, I had to do a double take when I saw the example picture you posted of the splitter on the table as I used to own that exact splitter, I took that picture back in 2015 and sent it to Phil after it had arrived safely. As I mentioned earlier in the thread though I never fitted it in the end as I couldn’t find a set of Cromodora wheels to complete the look I wanted at the time for the car so I sold it on.
It probably would have got damaged quite easily on the roads around here anyway, some of the lanes though they’re tarmac have grassy humps running down the middle of them and I doubt the splitter would cleared them.
Reducing the lip to 20mm will hopefully help you with clearance over speed bumps. Take plenty of pictures once it’s on it will be good to see how it looks.

PH1 V6
It's on and it's a great fit.
Wheel arch liners had to have a bit of modification but nothing too excessive. Planned on painting it matte black but the finish on the gel coat was virtually immaculate so, for the time being, it has been left gloss.
The screws underneath utilised the holes that were already there from the original rubber jobbie the car had from the factory.
It certainly makes a difference, the front end looks finished off.

Last edited:

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
Looks awesome mate! Not usually a fan of modified Vee’s but I think you have nailed it with this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PH1 V6
Looks awesome mate! Not usually a fan of modified Vee’s but I think you have nailed it with this one!

Cheers mate :up:

I know what you mean re modifying them, easy to get it wrong even though we all have different ideas as to what's right!
When it comes to big bits a great deal of thinking goes into it, the smaller bits, i.e cheaper ones, just get bought and if they work they stay, if not they get binned.

The car looks excellent in those most recent pictures, the splitter really helps to complete the look. It’s good you were able to use the existing holes in the bumper to attach it, though I imagine that lining everything up and drilling the holes in the splitter itself was no simple task. Did you have to remove the front bumper? I like the new sticker additions too :up:.

PH1 V6
The car looks excellent in those most recent pictures, the splitter really helps to complete the look. It’s good you were able to use the existing holes in the bumper to attach it, though I imagine that lining everything up and drilling the holes in the splitter itself was no simple task. Did you have to remove the front bumper? I like the new sticker additions too :up:.
Thanks Will.
It was easier than I expected it to be tbh.
The existing plastic bit underneath was removed, you can see the first 2 fixing points either side so they were marked and drilled.
The old plastic part was then laid on the top of the new splitter and the holes were then drilled into the splitter through the holes in the old part.
Apart from the fixing at either end, which is bolted, all the rest on the front are self tappers that screwed into the existing metal clips on the bottom of the spoiler.
I fully expected to have to remove the front spoiler but pleased we didn't have to.
I blame you re the additional stickers, got the idea from the pic of the Trophy you posted :up:

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
Just need to colour code that boot release now [emoji1303]

NHB EP3 Type R
I just joined the forum and this is the first thread I looked into, jesus man what an awesome car!

Keep at it!

Sounds mad but I never noticed the boot lock before around the Renault badge.......... now it's really obvious!! That would really finish the back off if colour coded (the black part around the diamond I mean)

PH1 V6
Apparently there were very few V6 turned out with the black boot surround, the intel was given to me on the owners forum.
For some stupid reason that makes me loathe to change it.

True story :up:

Thanks Will.
It was easier than I expected it to be tbh.
The existing plastic bit underneath was removed, you can see the first 2 fixing points either side so they were marked and drilled.
The old plastic part was then laid on the top of the new splitter and the holes were then drilled into the splitter through the holes in the old part.
Apart from the fixing at either end, which is bolted, all the rest on the front are self tappers that screwed into the existing metal clips on the bottom of the spoiler.
I fully expected to have to remove the front spoiler but pleased we didn't have to.
I blame you re the additional stickers, got the idea from the pic of the Trophy you posted :up:

Oh right that’s a good way to do it, removing the front bumper can be a bit of a pain so not having to do it is nice. I’m glad I posted the Trophy picture now, I particularly like the addition of the Cibie stickers to the front. Any more plans for the short term or have you got everything how you want it for time being?

PH1 V6
Will, you know as well as I do when it comes to the big "is it finished" question the answer is never going to be yes :up:, always going to be something to play about with :smile:
Current things being looked into : -
Electrically operated Fire Suppression system. Waiting for Scott to come back with a cost.
Rear cage, just debating if I could live with harnesses as Scott tells me the seat belts will have to go.
Exhaust work...too many options! Will keep the Quicksilver back box but looking into other alterations. Possibly tubular manifolds and sport cats ( already had a costing for these ), but then again could remove the gubbins from the collector box, of lose the collector box altogether! Have resurrected an old thread on the V6 forum regarding this to see what others have done.

Can't see all 3 things getting done in the short term, likely to do 2 of them. Which 2 is the big question currently.

Last edited:
Will, you know as well as I do when it comes to the big "is it finished" question the answer is never going to be yes :up:, always going to be something to play about with :smile:

Haha it’s true, that’s why I was careful to write “short term” & “the time being” :smile:. A plumbed in fire suppression system would be a nice safety upgrade, fires do thankfully appear to be rare but they as you probably know/have seen pictures online have happened in the past.

I was also at one point in the past thinking about getting a Safety Devices rear roll cage but the main thing that put me off was the fact the left and right sections of the upper engine cover would have to be cut up. If you wanted to retain use of the upper engine covers that is. If they weren’t so rare/expensive I think I could of lived with it but once you’ve cut them up it makes returning the car to standard (should one so desire) in the future much more difficult.
It’s a shame no one to my knowledge makes replica engine covers which could be cut up instead and the originals could be safely stored away. I much like yourself also use my v6 quite often and I can imagine the harnesses may become tiresome when trying to do everyday things. I do still like the idea though.

I think options for tubular manifolds and sports cats are fairly limited, I know Janspeed used to produce them but i’m not sure if they still do or not, having something custom made might be an option though.

PH1 V6
It was Scott that came up with the suggestion of the manifolds & cats. It was his answer to what has to be one of my most stupid questions along the lines of "what else can I do to it as I'm not over interested in going down the engine tuning route". On that basis he must have access to some somewhere, you know how he is....he knows where to get anything :up:
I know what you mean ref rear covers being cut but I'm reasonably sure that if done carefully it doesn't look too bad.
I realise that we've all had cars that are never going to be sold and then we sell it and buy something else! In this case though it's slightly different. Retired last year ( apart from doing a couple of jobs as a favour ) and am 65 this year so this is my retirement car so I'm taking it as far as reasonably possible to get it exactly as I want. It should only be sold if I'm pushing daisies or cooling down in a jar on a shelf which leaves me in the fortunate position to not have to worry about the odd hole where it shouldn't be :smile:.
Not a bad motor to go to the Darby & Joan coffee mornings in :cool:

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Apparently there were very few V6 turned out with the black boot surround, the intel was given to me on the owners forum.
For some stupid reason that makes me loathe to change it.

True story :up:

Correct :)

Car is looking awesome mate :)

PH1 V6
Not updated for a while,

Half cage won't be happening as I'd have to lose the seat belts and feel that having to use a harness full time would be a PITA. Exhaust manifold stuff is also unlikely to happen as I can't justify the costs against very little gain. Never say never though.

Harnesses now fitted, oem belts still there for everyday use, along with an electrically operated fire extinguisher that's fully plumbed in ( can be seen lurking on the shelf behind the passenger seat )

Slight change to the configuration in the pic as the lap belts are now through the holes in the seats.

IMG_1238.jpg

Just completed a euro trip..France, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, back into Switzerland and France then home. 2200 miles and it never missed a beat! Up to an indicated 140mph on the autobahn, it felt like it was starting to run out of breath which was fine as I was starting to run out of balls :)

Just waiting for some availability dates to arrive, then get them to all align and the car will be undergoing some major changes!

Last edited:
I'm glad you haven't gone for the half cage, they seem a lot of hassle tbh. I think they only seem to work if you're going full on V6 Trophy race car look.

PH1 V6
146mph iirc, so the dial would say around 155 ?? I've had mine round once when I got it, scary as there's no weight at the front.

Before the rep Trophy front splitter was fitted, the front end used to get very light at around 85 mph. With the splitter fitted it now feels planted.
I'm glad you haven't gone for the half cage, they seem a lot of hassle tbh. I think they only seem to work if you're going full on V6 Trophy race car look.

Well...........

PH1 V6
Running out of breath at 140mph! What are these geared to?

I've had 135mph indicated in my 182 in France ?

It felt as though it was running out of breath, not that it did run out of breath.

As it says, I ran out of balls so no idea how much further it would have gone.

Nice to see your update, I bet it was fun driving around Europe in it. Do you have any pictures from your trip? These “major changes” you have planned have me intrigued too, can you elaborate or would you rather wait until they’re finished?

PH1 V6
Nice to see your update, I bet it was fun driving around Europe in it. Do you have any pictures from your trip? These “major changes” you have planned have me intrigued too, can you elaborate or would you rather wait until they’re finished?

Have a few pics but hopefully better ones will be with me shortly.

5 cars went to the 'Ring for 3 days, 3 then headed back to the UK and myself and the other went South. The other guy took a fair few pics so just waiting for him to send them over.

The car was great to drive a long distance and the amount of attention these things get still surprises me. A bit of a pain when arriving at toll pay stations etc which are of course geared for a LHD car, having a low sitting car and bucket seat seats makes it a complete impossibility to reach the machine to take a ticket or to pay the toll so getting out of the car each time became routine and folks behind never seemed to mind.

Temps were on the high side....high 20's apart from Italy where it was 32. Bearing in mind the std aircon tends to struggle against the fact the engine is more or less in the car with you, the bedraggled look became the normal look when getting out of the car.....not a problem though :)

Re changes, watch this space.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good trip, did you take the v6 on Nurburgring or were you spectating? The furthest i’ve driven my car in one day is only around 300 miles but i’d agree that they do seem good at covering long distances. I’ve heard from others that the v6 does attract quite a bit of attention in Europe particularly in France but i’ve never driven mine over there, maybe one day. I look forward to seeing some pictures and finding out more about those changes. ?

PH1 V6
Only spectating I'm afraid, going on a track doesn't interest me in the slightest.

The guy that went to Switzerland with me has a F8* M3 and went on for a total of 10 laps as he loves track driving (has just bought an Exige for track use), one guy had a BMW 140 and he did 4 laps, one has a M4 but didn't take that on...he paid for an instruction lap and one lap by himself in a Seat, last guy had a RS3 but was happy doing passenger laps in the M3.

I was happy just to have a look at the various cars knocking about.

Some great pictures there, the scenery looks fantastic in those mountains and Reims is one of those places I must visit one day it looks very interesting. ? I can’t blame you for not taking your car on track over there, there is an awful lot of risk involved.