ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New PC... final check before I buy

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Hi so looking to buy a new PC tomorrow. Found this...

Extra Value Desktop PC, Pentium Dual Core E6300 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVDRW, No Operating System

Which seems like a good deal. Obviously I need an OS for it (not going Linux before anyone says it :nono:) so would I be best of going for OEM? Never bought OEM before. Also should I finally be getting on to 64-bit? Or is 32-bit still the one to go for, both the same price.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 32-bit - English

Only other concern is the integrated graphics, would mind upgrading that, so was looking at this...

ATI HD 4770 512MB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card

Which I'm told should be run with a minimum 450W PSU. When I was searching on google I also found a page which said... "with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended" don't really know about this. Found a 700W PSU which has "PCI Express - 1x PCI EXPRESS connector" is that the same thing?

Sumvision PowerX2 700W PSU - 2x SATA 1x PCI-Express

Or would I be better off with this one which actually mentions the 6-pin PCI Express power connectors...

Extra Value Titan 650W Neon PSU - 12cm Fan, 20+4pin, 1x SATA, 1x PCI-E

Clio1.2, Dodge Caliber
If you are going with the system above I would recommend the 64bit version of windows 7 to make full use of the 4Gb of installed memory. 32Bit won't see above 3Gb of installed memory I believe

Also noticed they don't list the number or type of expansion slots available. Have you contacted them to check it will take the graphics card upgrade ?

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I've seen the m/b specs somewhere else and they seem decent, and iirc someone else that bought this installed a 4870 and it was running fine :D

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
hmm i dunno about that, i think you get 3.3 usable and 32bit windows would prob make his life easier in regard to app/driver compatibility.

Better than yours. C*nt.
If you are going with the system above I would recommend the 64bit version of windows 7 to make full use of the 4Gb of installed memory. 32Bit won't see above 3Gb of installed memory I believe

Also noticed they don't list the number or type of expansion slots available. Have you contacted them to check it will take the graphics card upgrade ?

Compatibility with apps in 64-bit, the extended use of memory by 64-bit codesets and the complete lack of need to make using 64-bit on anything less that 6GB+-equipped systems an absolute waste.

Please, please check your facts before spouting it to people.

64bit vs 32bit OS performance even in systems with less than 6Gb of memory gets better performance. There are quite a few benchmarks out there showing this

we also did in house testing of this when deciding to deploy 32bit or 64bit Win 7

system looks alright, though id like to see a new core i3.5 or 7!!

GP