ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Phase1 Clio 172 - Where to start checking..

Clio 172
Hello Guys!

Right, story is, ive just bought my first 172 (Phase 1) there are a few niggles that im going to look at with it.

Loud knock under hard acceleration: Ive looked into this on the forum using various searches and it appears the mounts would be the first place to check. The guy I got it off said that the top mount had recently been replaced and that the lower gearbox mount (Dogbone?) was showing signs of wear, from what I have read we are talking about getting a polybush replacement for the dogbone and replacing the upper mounts with standard? Also I will check the downpipe lower gasket to the exhaust to make sure this hasnt worn.

Low Idle/Cutting out: When hot the car was idling about 500rpm, now i've been told that it is fitted with Kent Cams. I've not had a chance to take it out for a proper run to try and judge this. But from what ive read some cams will retain the VVT so this may be hard to tell anyway for somene who hasnt run one before. The idle is not irratic though as I have experienced with performance cams in the past. I will start looking around inlet leaks etc for the iddle issue and cleaning out all sensors. Any other thoughts?

Central Locking: I need to have a little look at this as its playing up a bit, are there any issues with disconnecting the battery with the cars?

Cambelt: Now this is the bone of contention. I have read a LOT of threads on here, regarding replacing cambelts, the tools required, the issues etc. There is a possiblity I may be able to get a lend of the tools in which case I will do it myself. (Have done many cambelts etc in the past without issue) Also I want to post up a sound of the engine running just to make sure all sounds ok!

Well I think that covers it haha taken a day off to give it a proper look over/service. Looking forwards to driving it and still in two minds as to whether to track it or not. It was this, or a 2.0 Corsa and I reckon for the all round car and not much sacarafice in performance i've chosen the right one!

Thanks

Rob

172/1.2/E30
1st: Check all engine mounts for play. Bolt on the gearbox mount likes to come loose. But most likely to be a damaged dogbone mount.

2nd: First of all, i'd check and clean the idle control valve. Inlet leaks will increase the idle.

3rd: What's wrong with the central locking?

4th: Complete tool set is about 150-200 quid. Renault repair manual is somewhere on here.

Clio 172
That's great mate, really appreciate it (and for the tip on the idle) will post some further updates tomorrow after i've had a nose around!

Clio Sport 172 Ph1
try and replace all mounts with upgraded items, if you have a solid dogbone mount then more stress will be passed on to the standard front mounts causing them to wear quicker than normal especially if your going on a track with it.... ktec do all 3 mounts in a deal for around £230.....fitting mine tommorrow...

Clio 172
Neil, if you go for the harder mounts all round are there any side effects/vibration. I'd like to keep it comfortably useable on a day to day basis.

Cheers

172/1.2/E30
Fresh engine mounts and a polybush'd dogbone are the best compromise between precise shifting and a comfy non-vibrating drive (imo).