ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Sabelt Wheel - Trophy Style...

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I always loved my Renault Sport Sabelt wheel on my RB, but I hated how the suede got ruined so easily.

So for the trophy I decided to get an old knackered one retrimmed, spec is all leather, red top, black perforated sides and black lower with black stitching.

It looks superb in real life, quite hard to picture the red right but it's not a bad match for the Trophy. Really pleased with it, I'd forgot how fun to drive these cars are with a smaller wheel but a 5 minute blast for petrol this afternoon really put a smile on my face :)

Anyway, a couple of pics:

7705015368_796da1e812_z.jpg

Retrimmed Sabelt Wheel by mjenic, on Flickr

7705016204_143bd646df_z.jpg

Retrimmed Sabelt Wheel by mjenic, on Flickr

Looks lovely, dare I ask for a cost?

I've also wondered, how does this affect MOT/Insurance due to not having the airbag? Mine is slowly starting to melt so looking at alternatives but don't want to go into a grey area!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Looks lovely, dare I ask for a cost?

I've also wondered, how does this affect MOT/Insurance due to not having the airbag? Mine is slowly starting to melt so looking at alternatives but don't want to go into a grey area!

Cost wise, it wasn't that expensive, the old wheel and recovering and postage both ways came to about £170.

I rang my insurance as soon as I fitted it (Brentacre), told them the type of wheel and they said thanks, bye. MOT shouldn't be an issue as no lights are on, and not all cars have airbags anyway.

Want. Looks epic, swap for the light stalk tomorrow.

Deal.

No Deal.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Looks alright but think it would have looked better all black.

Personally I like the red, as it matches the trophy. But I do wish I had got a more neutral colour such as a dark grey, as it's quite likely I'll sell the T and keep the cup in Late August/September and it would of matched the cup better.

Personally I like the red, as it matches the trophy. But I do wish I had got a more neutral colour such as a dark grey, as it's quite likely I'll sell the T and keep the cup in Late August/September and it would of matched the cup better.

I'll buy the wheel when you sell. Probably.

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Like this a lot, can I ask you for the details of whoever did the work for you, my suede one is faded. But I love the way it feels

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Looks amazing Mike. I'd have probably gone for all black but the red doesn't look at all out of place!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
That looks top notch! How much do these sabelt wheel go for out of interest?

Cheers, depends if you get lucky or not, usually around £50 for a worn out one.

Looks ace, how does it feel in comparison to the standard trim? Bit spongy?

Cheers, as you know the standard trim is really firm, this is soft but I wouldn't say spongy. Just soft to the touch.

172 Cup
That looks awesome mate, i love my sabelt wheel too they make such a big difference to the feel of the car.

182 Cup
I've been thinking about having mine retrimmed as the suede is all shiny now, but for the cost of a retrim I might just buy a new wheel and sell the old one to make some money back.

182 Cup
After fitting a new squib today and having the wheel off and trying to clean up the suede a bit I've decided mine definately needs retrimming!