ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New SKY HD Planner issues

dk

911 GTS Cab
Anyone had any trouble with their sky box freezing up since they got the fancy new planner?

My box is a 2TB top of the line, been working fine for 2 years, since the planner update about 10 days ago the box keeps going into meltdown, freezes up (normally when I'm trying to watch something thats already recording) and i have turn it off completely and even remove the sat feed cables and card to get it to come back up properly, takes a few attempts too, if i touch it too soon it also freezes up again.

Rang sky (knew id get a bullshit response and they didnt disappoint) and they went through the obvious troubleshooting that i'd already tried, rebuilt the planner etc, nothing worked, my box was 1% free, its always been like that, i watch stuff to get it down to about 2% but i have 2 years worth of good stuff on there. So the woman told me i have to free up space, thats why its running slow (its not running slow, its freezing up), so i comply and delete a load of stuff to get it to 20% free (she said you need 15% free for it not to run slow, b****cks, been running fine at 99-100% for a year now with no issues), i said its the new software update, she said they've been told to say that a software update can't slow a box down or make it freeze up, must be hardware. its a coincidence. b****cks is it, we were told the same when MS released the software update that bricked a load of Xbox 360s with RROD, software does break stuff, all the time.

So frustrating, she's just reading off a script, so i have 2 options, call an engineer out, thats a £60 call out fee, as the box is out of the 12 month warranty, but its not the bloody box!!!! its the software!!!! Said if i had sky Q then the box is covered for the length of the contract as you're paying £12.50 a month for the equipment, which was news to me!

Anyway, option 2 is to do a full reset of the box, which means i lose all 750 recorded programmes, she said this was last resort, but unfortunately we are at last resort. I say no, not doing that, tell me how to do it if i need to but I'm going to continue to play.

So i do and i get it up and running again and its as fast as ever, no slow down or freezing, oh look, the hardware is fine!!!

Anyway, going to see how it goes, but i reckon it will keep happening, and will result in me having to buy a new box or something and losing 2TB of programmes, which is such bullshit, but just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same things since the new planner went live? I saw in the Sky Q thread people are also experiencing melt downs, the funny thing is this new planner for the HD boxes makes it look very similar to the Q one too.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Just delete the 99% of tv you have and reset it.

It's only tv programmes.

If you can an engineer out they'll only change the box anyway and you lose the data.

End result is the same - you won't get sky to put you back to the old software

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
I'm the same as @MarkCup in that our normal boxes (we have 2 - a 500GB HD non-wifi model, and a 1TB HD box) are both absolutely fine with the new software. I did have to force the main box to update a week ago, though, but the upstairs multi room box updated automatically about a month / 6 weeks ago.

Reactions: dk
This happened to me @dk this week. Got new software and it dies. It wouldn't even turn on.

So I called them and they said he's the box has gone. It's a fee to get an engineer out. Told them I wasn't paying as it was their software that had broken the box (and subsequently lost all my programmes).

After a bit of back and forth they sent an engineer our yesterday and gave me a new box. I'm afraid you've lost your stuff mate. As have I....

2014 Clio 200t edc
Ours has just started freezing, and it's only in the past 4 days since the new planner update. Really annoying, but I'm not paying an engineer to come out.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
No, my 2tb box has been fine as has the smaller HD box in the bedroom since the update.

dk

911 GTS Cab
So I'm not alone then, hopefully if it's a wide enough problem they'll patch it, this just takes me back to the rrod and ms refusing to admit their software update had killed a load of day one boxes :(

I guess for them it's great, they get everyone to buy a new box it's happening yo by saying it's not the software but it's out of warranty.

Looks like I might need to call up again and play my face to get an engineer out for free.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Get a new box from them and keep the old box so you don't lose the programmes you have recorded.

It'll be a bit of a faff, but you can then swap the box back to watch recorded stuff and maybe they will release a new software update in weeks/months to come that will 'fix' your original box.

Clio 172 Cup
Had same issue but my box was just in warranty (Nov). Got a really nice engineer out (for free) who used to work in cable TV as I did in my chequered past... Got talking and we both think there will be something in the upgrade code to degrade your service and make you end up with a Sky Q box eventually. Your best bet is to call Sky and threaten to leave if they don't upgrade you, they won't want to lose a customer so you should get a good deal on the Q box... We've ended up with a new 2TB HD box which hasn't had the latest software yet although it will get it automatically very soon as is connected to broadband so we'll see what happens this time...