ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New to Car Detailing

Vantage
ok ive decided i want to get in to car detailing

whats the best way to start this of..?

e.g. what best products (materials, tools etc) to purchase as a amateur??

what steps should i follow?

B

Ben^

budget and aim eg, paint correction with machine polisher or hand polish etc?

B

Ben^

Well as an example here is a list of stuff I use for a standard detail.

Karcher Pressure Washer
Snow Foam Lance
Snow Foam
2 Buckets (with grit guards)
Swissvax Shampoo
Wash Mit
Detailing Clay (soft and medium) (dodo supernatural etc)
Detailing Lube (dodo)
G220 DA machine polisher
Cutting,Polishing and finishing pads
#83 and #80 meg polish (other too but cba to list all of them)
Swissvax Best of Show wax (£135 a pot but is awsome!)

Missed bits and bats out but should give you the general idea :D

Ben

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I don't mean to sound rude, but are people confusing Detailing with actually cleaning your car properly??

For me, detailing my Audi takes two days. Wheels off, axle stands, Machine polishing, Wet vaccing all materials, Polishing, waxing, sealing.....And thats on a brand new car with 4000 miles on it!

There is a massive difference to cleaning your car to a good standard and 'detailing' in my opinion.

B

Ben^

I don't mean to sound rude, but are people confusing Detailing with actually cleaning your car properly??

For me, detailing my Audi takes two days. Wheels off, axle stands, Machine polishing, Wet vaccing all materials, Polishing, waxing, sealing.....And thats on a brand new car with 4000 miles on it!

There is a massive difference to cleaning your car to a good standard and 'detailing' in my opinion.

agreed, we take around 6-8 hours (2 of us) on one car.

Missed out

Swissvax Pneu tyre dressing
Swissvax Autobhan wheel treatment
Not to mention micro fibre cloths, applicator pads, drying towels etc etc

the list is massive for a "proper" detail

Last edited by a moderator:
  Porsche Boxster987S

im glad you said that tbh. Fed up hearing the word ''detailing'' on here.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've gone to see Clios off this site (for sale) that have been 'detailed' and tbh the russian car washers do a better job for a fiver.

NOTHING
Speak to the chap from i4detailing off this site, really helpfull and you get a discount . He always has time to talk you through everything and what products are best and easy to use, really do recommend him.

Porsche Boxster987S
The main reason I have basically given up with posting on here.

snap mate , just keep my mouth shut tbh. Very tiresome hearing the same questions every 3 days without an attempt at searching through the countless threads thats been made in the last month alone. Not a dig at the thread starter btw , just for this section in general.

B

Ben^

I've gone to see Clios off this site (for sale) that have been 'detailed' and tbh the russian car washers do a better job for a fiver.

lmao!

here here!

General standards as s**t imo went to a garage to do a customers car pre delivery and the valeters said, "should only need a quick once over mate....we did it this morning!" When infact I spent longer re-doing the bits they had f**ked up!...It looked like they polished it with newspaper!! lol

But yea I think people need to be more aware of difference of a full detail and sunday morning wash and rinse!

Megane R26
What's your budget? Are you just looking to enhance the look of your car, or do you want to correct the paintwork?

Is that your BG182 in your avatar?

just search, theres a million and one threads pretty much exactly the same as this.

good luck with the 'detailing'!

Well as an example here is a list of stuff I use for a standard detail.

Karcher Pressure Washer
Snow Foam Lance
Snow Foam
2 Buckets (with grit guards)
Swissvax Shampoo
Wash Mit
Detailing Clay (soft and medium) (dodo supernatural etc)
Detailing Lube (dodo)
G220 DA machine polisher
Cutting,Polishing and finishing pads
#83 and #80 meg polish (other too but cba to list all of them)
Swissvax Best of Show wax (£135 a pot but is awsome!)

Missed bits and bats out but should give you the general idea :D

Ben

That so far is paint correction, not detailing. As has already been stated, a "detail" is a full on, several days job.

This means wheels off; arches cleaned and dressed; alloys cut back, polished, sealed; tyres cleaned and dressed; plastics cleaned and dressed; headlights and tail lights corrected, sealed and waxed; paint work corrected (snow foamed, washed, clayed, washed, dried, polished two stage, finished, sealed, waxed); door shuts cleaned, polished, protected; interior cleaned, vacced etc; windows cleaned, polished, protected; fabric hoods cleaned and protected; rubbers cleaned and protected.

This is why a car paint correction from me (as someone who does it as a hobby) is circa £100, where as a full on detail is anything from 200 upwards.

Well as an example here is a list of stuff I use for a standard detail.Ben

You said that was what you used for a detail. A detail is the list as above. Paint correction is not a detail. Paint correction is paint correction. It is part of a detail, but not "a detail".

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
That so far is paint correction, not detailing. As has already been stated, a "detail" is a full on, several days job.

This means wheels off; arches cleaned and dressed; alloys cut back, polished, sealed; tyres cleaned and dressed; plastics cleaned and dressed; headlights and tail lights corrected, sealed and waxed; paint work corrected (snow foamed, washed, clayed, washed, dried, polished two stage, finished, sealed, waxed); door shuts cleaned, polished, protected; interior cleaned, vacced etc; windows cleaned, polished, protected; fabric hoods cleaned and protected; rubbers cleaned and protected.

This is why a car paint correction from me (as someone who does it as a hobby) is circa £100, where as a full on detail is anything from 200 upwards.

Jamie you turned me on sayin all those things like that ooooooo im gonna need a hose down