ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New to Clio's, considering buying a DCI, advice please!

Hi all,

I am currently abroad, looking to come back to the UK soon, and will be needing a very economical set of wheels. Research has lead me to think one of the 1.5 dci Clio's is just about my best bet (when taken with £30 tax, low insurance etc). It's nice to see that some of you have come to the same conclusion!

I must be honest, I have tried to look for a comparison site/page to tell me what the differences are between engines & models, trim levels etc, but haven't been able to find anything beyind a breif explanation of the difference between the 65, 80 & 100 bhp's.

There seem to be many different trim levels, I don't know which is the lowest, intermediate, highest etc.

Also, what should I be looking out for as a buyer, what needs replacing, what usually breaks, stops working etc?

Ideally I would like to be a pre-modified one, 5 doors would be great, but happy enough with 3, air con is a bit of a must too (I guess some models won't have that?)

If you could give me a rough idea of prices that recent ones have gone for as well that would super duper.

When I get back to sunny Britain I need to get one asap so that's why I'm doing my research nice and early!

Thanks so much for your help, really appreciate it!

Cheers,

Coolasacucumber

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Hi and welcome to the club.
Your best bet is to head over to www.cliodci.net We're a friendly bunch over there (there's alot of us CS'ers on there too!) You will find pretty much everything you need to know and more!

However, the 65, 80 and 100 refer to the BHP of the beast. the 80 is probably the one to go for in a Dynamique trim.
* shamelessly stolen from dCI.net*

65 bhp -
No blue letters in the word DCI on the sidestrip.
No intercooler.
Turbo is a 5435 970 0000 Borg warner K series.
JB3 gearbox pretty much same as 1.6 16v.
Engine codes - K9K 704, K9K 700
OVAL PLATE CB07 (Inside of drivers door)
Standard Turbo Boost Pressure = 1 Bar (14.5psi)
Standard Fuel Pressure = 1400psi
No intercooler

80 bhp -
Blue I in the word DCI on the sidestrip.
Large Intercooler located infront of the radiator.
Injectors 15% more efficient than 65's.
Slightly different turbo to 65 (5435 970 0002 Borg warner K series).
JC5 gearbox pretty much same as 2.0 16v. From 2004 onwards JH3 and JR5 boxes were also fitted.
Engine code - K9K 702
OVAL PLATE CB08
Standard Turbo Boost Pressure = 1.2 Bar (17.4psi)
Standard Fuel Pressure = 1400psi

100 bhp -
Blue CI in the word DCI on the sidestrip.
Small fat intercooler (17% more efficient than 80 ic). Located infront of the radiator at the bottom.
Same injectors as 80.
Same fuel pump as 65 & 80 but runs at 1600 bar
Again, more efficient, variable geometry turbo (5439 970 0030 Borg warner K series)
Different block and head and different injection set up to 65 & 80 with the 100 having a stronger crank, stronger rods and pistons.
Inlets on the head are bigger, different cam and ex manifold.
Gearstick, reverse is down and right as opposed to up and left with the lift.
Gearbox is a JR5 120. (5 Speed box as fitted to petrol lagunas, no renault 6 speed box fits!)
Engine code - K9K 712.
OVAL PLATE CB2G
Standard Turbo Boost Pressure = 1.25 Bar (18.1psi)
Standard Fuel Pressure = 1600psi

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
you wont regret a dci mate :)

btw its cheaper tax band on the dCi 80 but tbh, go for a 100. built better and respond very well to a cheeky little remap. mounts of fun :)

tax :
dCi 65 - £30
dCi 80 - £20
DCi 100 - £30

/\ if remember correctly that is :eek:

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Yeah thats right RAZ.
100's are the rearer beasty out of the 3, if you can get one do it! Personally I prefer my 100 over my brothers 65 - mainly due to the clutch and gearbox differences.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
evidently the 100's can take more of a beat in aswell. lets just say iv had EGR fun with my 80 :eek:

are 100's subject to a wide track conversion like the 80's can be?

Wow, great info so quick, thanks guys. I'll scout around the dci forum, thanks for the heads up.

What I understand so far - ignore the 65bhp... 80 is the best for fuel economy, 100 for 'tuneability' & of course the extra power from standard.

I know it's a very vague question as it will depend on driving style, engine condition etc etc, but what roughly is the difference between the mpg from the 80 to the 100?

Also, a remap on both - what does it do to the bhp & mpg?

Thanks.

BTW - the ones that have had the interiors changed to sport alcantara seats looks awesome, that will deffinatley be on the cards!

Also - in general, what do insurance companies think of re-maps, I realise most may not inform them...

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
tonka's beast is the 100 on turinis and alcantara seated :clap:

tbh fuel economy on both are great, not really a comparision. it's all down to how you drive. just to give a ball park figure, iv had 700miles out of a tank driving like a saint :D

remaps on 80's like mine, ( which has a mild map ) has 98bhp at the crank and something like 78-82 at the wheels. torque i cant remember, something like 5% more and MPG 4% more.

100's respond very well to remaps. a health 100 can see the best part of 130bhp, mounts of toruq and a slightly more MPG.

as said, its all down to how you want it mapped, mild being the best of all or agressive being more power concentrated.

insurance are abit funny with diesel's being mapped. some of them dont charge as they see it being worth while, some charge a little extra. but tbh as you said not many people tel them;

What was different about the Billabong model?

One of my first cars was a 06 Quiksilver which had funky seats, badges etc, is the Billabong similar to that?

As a side note, what is the rough cost of a re-map & sport interior?

Thank you!

p.s. best mpg I've had before was on my BM 530D sport, was averaging 45, so can't wait for this, seems epic figures at 55-75!!!

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
My 100 completely standard went on the dyno achieved 135.1 FtLb Torque and 84.5 bhp.

I got 65mpg doing a mix of driving styles - motorway, country lanes, hills and valleys...

P.s TonkaTruck's is by far theeee best dci 100 going!

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
sash how accurate are the rollers you went on? seems a brilliant figure from flywheel to wheel loss :) no much has gone

remap, depends on who you go to, but i would recomend going to someone that has a reputable history, ie people use them for there good job and the rollers being far more accurate than others.

also NO diesel TUNING boxes!! those things wreck everything. one of my mates had one on a dci and it blew up the injectors will over pressure exceeding there limits.

yupp tonka trucks is the best of the best, cheeky git got those seats at a bargin compaired to what they are really worth,...........

Ged

PD130 Peach
Hi there :) what's your budget?

As the older dci's eg the 80 which seems to be the most common often have many problems. Sometimes none for 100k miles +.. However they do have a week fuel system and injectors are expensive!
Turbos may need replacing about 100k miles so think about that aswell.

The reason I ask about your budget is that I'f you could go for a new shape mk3 dci86 or dci 106 in a dynamique s spec, your onto a winner.. The fuel system is now a much more reliable system and the interior in my opinion is allot more refined!

Mpg is a few less than the mk2 shape due to extra weight but that's debatable depending on how you drive!

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
As the older dci's eg the 80 which seems to be the most common often have many problems. Sometimes none for 100k miles +.. However they do have a week fuel system and injectors are expensive!
Turbos may need replacing about 100k miles so think about that aswell.

i learnt the hard way :( mines all fixed tho, some VAG injectors sorted mine

they are not all bad tho, some have had recalls done so thats peace of mind and generally if you pick a well maintained one, truble free motoring.

mk3 dci's are a good shout to, keep forgeting the range went on from dCi 100 :eek:

Ged

PD130 Peach
Haha, much less popular and you can't modify as much or as OEM as the mk2 shape.

IMO engine is superb in mine. Done 20k miles in mine without fault. Still only 40k on the clock though so time will tell :)

I'd like to stick to the mk2 I think, had a quick look at the newer models, but my budget is probably more suited to the mk2 (I'm allergic to depreciation... been stung LOTS in the past!!), plus I prefer the shape & modifying options (cheaper & more plentiful parts). Thanks very much for the suggestion though.

What are service intervals on the DCI's, is it different between 65/80/100?

And when are belts / other big jobs due?

Thanks again, just want to make sure that things have been done when I'm looking at potential cars.

Thanks for pointing out the threads - DCI Raz - what ever happened to your integrated satnav idea?

Also - it probably sounds sad, but I really want to put a fancy boost gage in somewhere, has anyone done this? (I used to have a mk1 Golf with a supercharged G40 engine conversion & loved my boost gage that lighted up 8 different colours :eek:)

Ged

PD130 Peach
service intervals...Book may say 12k.... But id say 10k to be safe, and i do mine at about 7k...

Belts, if the cambelt hasn't been done it needs doing! as its 5 years or 72k... don't let anyone tell you its only based on mileage. Rubber belts perish in time!

Other big jobs, nothing of such really, get the all filters done, (fuel filter is a must)

IF your buying something high mileage, make sure it has good service history with no 30k gaps between services, the more the oil is changed the longer mr turbo will last!

320d
If I did the miles to warrant a diesel I'd be happy with either an 80 or 100. I've got a lot of time for the dci Clio's, I think they're a great engine. Much better than any of the petrols, except the F4R of course.

I definitely should have got one instead of my 1.2 as my first car. Even a 65 is better than a 1.2 once rolling. Whilst achieving 20-30mpg more. Mental MPG from the MK2 dci.

Budget considering, you should look at MK3's,

I get brilliant mpg out if mine, (Clio GT DCI 106) I can get mid to high 70's, 80's if I slip stream behind trucks, on a motorway,

mine is mapped, I estimate around 130 bhp and 220 lb/ft, this is based on its ability to get off the line quicker than a twingo 133 and a skoda vrs.

The Mk2's are great but they are a lot less refined than the 3. All depends on your budget really

320d
Budget considering, you should look at MK3's,

I get brilliant mpg out if mine, (Clio GT DCI 106) I can get mid to high 70's, 80's if I slip stream behind trucks, on a motorway,

mine is mapped, I estimate around 130 bhp and 220 lb/ft, this is based on its ability to get off the line quicker than a twingo 133 and a skoda vrs.

The Mk2's are great but they are a lot less refined than the 3. All depends on your budget really

Very crude way of estimating power. "Getting off the line" is more about grip and the cars ability to put its power down but most of all the driver.

Regardless of power I'm sure drivability has increased a lot with the extra power.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Thanks for pointing out the threads - DCI Raz - what ever happened to your integrated satnav idea?

Also - it probably sounds sad, but I really want to put a fancy boost gage in somewhere, has anyone done this? (I used to have a mk1 Golf with a supercharged G40 engine conversion & loved my boost gage that lighted up 8 different colours :eek:)

intergrated sat nav idea is in my garage waiting for me to finish it, havent had the time to fiddle lately :(

yes you can fit a boost gauge to the dCi, one of my friends has to his 65, only a standard poxy black and white one tho.

Raz thanks for the info, but what do you mean by only a 'standard' black and white one? I would have thought that any boost guage could be rigged up?

Also - do any of the dci models have audio controls on the steering wheel or stalk behind the wheel etc?

Lastly (for now...) - do any of the models have cruise control?

Cheers my dears!

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
sorry wrote that wrong. my freind only has a standard ghey boost gauge fitted ( black and white one )
yes you are correct, you can fit any boost gauge tbh :)

yupp mostly all the dci's come with sterio controls on the stalk behind the wheel. ( depending on trim spec, dont think the basic, basic one has )
also some aftermarket head units wont work unless you get the adapter loom for the controls

cruise control is an optional extra but again mostly the 100's have them fitted ( buttons on the steering wheel, and buttons on little panel ( near headlight level adjuster ) near right leg.

Thanks, I think I can safely ignore the 65's now, unless the right modified one comes up (inc. xenons, sport interior etc etc!)

Cruise control is a real pet plesaure of mine, in previous cars I found it really helped mpg too.

Regarding the stereo stalk controls - is it possible to keep them operational if the original stero is replaced with an after market ipod compatible one?

Also - was air con standard & climate control optional, or were both optional extras?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
id try and stretch for a mk3 dci86 they are a bargain these days, dci106's are still holding money, and for some reason DCi100's are holding MASSIVE money, they havnt dropped in price since i bought mine 3 years ago!! lol

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
sorry wrote that wrong. my freind only has a standard ghey boost gauge fitted ( black and white one )
yes you are correct, you can fit any boost gauge tbh :)

yupp mostly all the dci's come with sterio controls on the stalk behind the wheel. ( depending on trim spec, dont think the basic, basic one has )
also some aftermarket head units wont work unless you get the adapter loom for the controls

cruise control is an optional extra but again mostly the 100's have them fitted ( buttons on the steering wheel, and buttons on little panel ( near headlight level adjuster ) near right leg.

I dont think so... Think Ive only ever seen 2 dCi100's with CC...

Ok, thanks. That'll have to be a big bonus if it comes up on the right car then.

Again, just roughly, what sort of price should one look at for a re-map?

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Thanks, I think I can safely ignore the 65's now, unless the right modified one comes up (inc. xenons, sport interior etc etc!)

Cruise control is a real pet plesaure of mine, in previous cars I found it really helped mpg too.

Regarding the stereo stalk controls - is it possible to keep them operational if the original stero is replaced with an after market ipod compatible one?

Also - was air con standard & climate control optional, or were both optional extras?

the stereo depends on make really, some are compatable but some do require the adaption loom to make the hand controls work.

air con standard is twisty dials and climate control is the digital optional add on ( dynamique's tend to have it allready ( stand corrected if not ) )

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
I dont think so... Think Ive only ever seen 2 dCi100's with CC...

i stand corrected, a few have popped up recently with it fitted.

i know theres a guide to retro fitting cruise control but dont you have to take it to renault for activation? or just plug and play

TonkaTruck

ClioSport Club Member
  28k Trophy - R1200GS
P.s TonkaTruck's is by far theeee best dci 100 going!

yupp tonka trucks is the best of the best, cheeky git got those seats at a bargin compaired to what they are really worth,...........

Feel the love in this thread. :rasp:

I am retro fitting Cruise Control into my 100.
If you want to retro fit it into a MK2 dCi, make sure you either get a 100, or a 65/80 which is newer than 2004.
As theses have the loom fitted as standard.

Get yourself onto www.cliodci.net as well. Has a lot of information for the question you are asking. :)

I don't think I have ever seen a 100 with Cruise Control.

Ged

PD130 Peach
the sterio depends on make really, some are compatable but some do require the adaption loom to make the hand controls work.

air con standard is twisty dials and climate control is the digital optional add on ( dynamique's tend to have it allready ( stand corrected if not ) )

No, tends to be a factory option, and quite rare from what iv looked and and my friends cars :)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
this may not be 100% correct but i beleive that A/C was an option on DCi65 A/C was standard on DCi80 and 100 and digital climate was a £500 optional extra on all models.

The only exception being Extreme 4 models which came with no A/C as standard (not sure if it and climate was an option)

like i said its been a while but i beleive it was something along they lines

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
1 dCi 100 on AT atm with climate, CC and other goodies.

who has the spec sheet or database for whats fitted to the dci range? i know sash posted the engine differences.

seems my knowlege has ran out on whats fitted and whats optional.

Tonka, you sure it was 65's/80's after 04 with CC loom? mine has the squib for it and connections near pedals for it aswell. ( march 03 my car )

Raz - love the look of your suggestion, now to try and negotiate a £5k discount...

Sash - perfect, love the colour & spec, price seems ok, but think after looking I actually prefer 3 doors now!! Plus a thought I had - I couldn't get a Sport interior to retro fit a 5 door...

Ged

PD130 Peach
Raz - love the look of your suggestion, now to try and negotiate a £5k discount...

Sash - perfect, love the colour & spec, price seems ok, but think after looking I actually prefer 3 doors now!! Plus a thought I had - I couldn't get a Sport interior to retro fit a 5 door...

Thats a good car though, rare as anything! and sport front seats would go in.... Then just think of what to do with back seats at a later date :p

Very crude way of estimating power. "Getting off the line" is more about grip and the cars ability to put its power down but most of all the driver.

Regardless of power I'm sure drivability has increased a lot with the extra power.

it is a crude way your right, i have taken it as they are two very different cars to the GT, so its got to be around that area easily, if the power of the other two cars is what the manufacture states

i should of also digressed further and said it wasnt just traffic light GP, there was a couple of rolling tests