ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New to the forum, but not to cars which cost a fortune..... based in Orpington/SE London.....

Clio 172
Hi all,

As above. New to the forum. Thought it would be a good idea to sign up as I have a Monaco Blue 172, and I think I will be needing the guides! I've owned the car for about a year and a half (actually purchased from @Mbeau in feb last year) , and its been a bit of a pain now and then. Although I expected that as I'm not new to french hot hatches. Had a few Saxo VTS' before the Clio!

Only tends to be used at the weekends, because I walk everywhere else! Probably do 1800 miles a year I think. Shes on nearly 78k now, and gets a really easy life. Hates Shell Optimax, but loves Tesco Momentum (go figure)!

Slowly working my way through the bits that need doing, although I had to get the BCM/UCH rebuilt as there were some really odd things happening. Probably the most annoying of which was refusing to start unless I held all the connectors going into the BCM tightly in the connection ports. Then somehow start it with the other hand.......

It will be nice talking to you all, and if anyone has an LY 182 they don't want.....

Anyway, here's a few images to keep up the interest just after a full decon/hand polish and smothered in some Alien 51 from OCD Waxes.

unnamed (3).jpg
unnamed.jpg
unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed (4).jpg

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Is that your wax of choice? Allways looking to try new stuff. Money dependent of course.

Last edited:

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Ooh that is shiny! I'm a fan of Monaco blue, it really suits the clio imo. As for low mileage for a 172 yours ain't exactly worn out at that distance!

Clio 172
Is that your wax of choice? Allways looking to try new stuff. Money dependent of course.
It was by a guy that I found on detailing world. I have bought 3 different ones from him, only about £30 a pot. But he shut the whole thing down late last year. Which was a real shame because they are so easy to use and worked really well. I have also used dodo juice wax as well. Not as nice smelling but also decent stuff.

Clio 172
Ooh that is shiny! I'm a fan of Monaco blue, it really suits the clio imo. As for low mileage for a 172 yours ain't exactly worn out at that distance!
Thanks buddy. The colour is awesome. Looks lovely after I've been at it with the polish but really needs machining now. Up close you can see it's looking it's age in a way. I know it's still got good life in it but it's belts time next year and I'm just fighting with myself about putting on a stainless cat back system and a royal steering wheel. I'm just too indecisive for my own good really.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Hi mate. Hope none of those things happened soon after you purchased it from me! One of the best condition low owner Monaco cars I have seen! I keep looking out for the car every time I pass your work. If you need any help and advice please pop round or text/email me. Still have loads of parts and there is not much I can't sort. I have diagnostic stuff too. Good to see you are on here. Look forward to some updates.

Clio 172
Hi mate. Hope none of those things happened soon after you purchased it from me! One of the best condition low owner Monaco cars I have seen! I keep looking out for the car every time I pass your work. If you need any help and advice please pop round or text/email me. Still have loads of parts and there is not much I can't sort. I have diagnostic stuff too. Good to see you are on here. Look forward to some updates.
Hi Mark! Nope. It waited a good 6 months before it started giving me real aggro. It was all to do with the body control module. Lights flashing, car not starting, wipers not working, not locking or opening. It was a real sod! I removed the module, got it rebuilt and good as gold since (punches wood). Everything else is wear and tear. New rainsport 3's all round, I did the rear pads, discs and bearings as well. Luckily I get to use the workshop on a weekend whenever I like! You might not see it at work though. I hardly ever drive it to work. Never anywhere to park! But I probably will take you up on that offer of help one day though. I know you know your stuff big time! It's also still in good nick as well. It goes round the roundabouts at the M25 junction like no bodies business. :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Hi Mark! Nope. It waited a good 6 months before it started giving me real aggro. It was all to do with the body control module. Lights flashing, car not starting, wipers not working, not locking or opening. It was a real sod! I removed the module, got it rebuilt and good as gold since (punches wood). Everything else is wear and tear. New rainsport 3's all round, I did the rear pads, discs and bearings as well. Luckily I get to use the workshop on a weekend whenever I like! You might not see it at work though. I hardly ever drive it to work. Never anywhere to park! But I probably will take you up on that offer of help one day though. I know you know your stuff big time! It's also still in good nick as well. It goes round the roundabouts at the M25 junction like no bodies business. :)

I know the roundabout well, car looks good. A word of advice. These cars are so common now there’s no point in having things fixed, just replace them with used items from other cars on here!

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I knew it would get looked after when you bought it. Paintwork looks stunning in those pictures. Glad you are still enjoying it. Any issues you get stuck on don't hesitate to give me a shout.

Clio 172
I know the roundabout well, car looks good. A word of advice. These cars are so common now there’s no point in having things fixed, just replace them with used items from other cars on here!

Cheers man. I saw the wanted section but didn't want to ask as I've only been joined up for a few days...

Clio 172
I knew it would get looked after when you bought it. Paintwork looks stunning in those pictures. Glad you are still enjoying it. Any issues you get stuck on don't hesitate to give me a shout.
She certainly gets looked after, that's for sure. Just wish I had the space to have more than 1 though, cos I would have had that silver cup of yours already... I'm quite attached to it now as well though. I will. Cheers buddy. It would also be nice to chat to someone that's into the cars too.

Clio 172
Welcome mate.

We're are all a friendly bunch here and helpful too.

Car looks tidy mate. @Mbeau seems a genuine guy. Myself and @MrBlonde have dealt with him so I'm sure these issues you had are just bad luck.

What's the plans for the Monaco?
@Mbeau sure is a good guy. An absolute phase 2 nut! Everything that I have had to do is literally just down to age. 14 years and counting AND the poor old thing has to live outside!

As for plans. Well I'm not a mod person. I love originality, even down to the Renault sport badges on the back. So the only things I really really want is a stainless cat back system (been eyeing up the ktec supersports stealth) and get the steering wheel done in alcantara. Other than that, I just want to keep on top of anything that happens and fix as I go....

Clio 172
Did i hear my name?!? @Dr Jekyll

Yeah @Mbeau is top fella,no need to worry,just take a look and read on his thread on his cups.
Cool. I'm not too worried. I've had the Clio for 18 months or so now and I've enjoyed taking some of it to bits and replacing odds and ends. :)

I also enjoyed the cup projects too. Makes me want one!

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Hopefully give my Cup some better TLC once i move and booked in with the bodyshop.I love @Mbeau 's Silver cup tho!

I really am in two minds about selling it!!! If still here next month it will be getting the wheels refurbished again, I have the new rear bumper and I may make the engine bay a bit more OEM. I quite like the black though. It is pretty economical too.

Clio 172
I really am in two minds about selling it!!! If still here next month it will be getting the wheels refurbished again, I have the new rear bumper and I may make the engine bay a bit more OEM. I quite like the black though. It is pretty economical too.
OEM always wins for me! Defo get the uncut bumper on the back though. And I honestly can't believe it's not sold already!

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
OEM always wins for me! Defo get the uncut bumper on the back though. And I honestly can't believe it's not sold already!

I should never have put that bumper on ? has taken me ages to find another iceberg standard bumper too. Would not take much to swap all the engine bay bits. OEM is definately the way forward as these get older.

Clio 172
I should never have put that bumper on ? has taken me ages to find another iceberg standard bumper too. Would not take much to swap all the engine bay bits. OEM is definately the way forward as these get older.
I think so too. Especially with an iceberg cup. Man, that car is pretty rare these days!

I just looked it up. Check out the pic of how many cups were made in both colours!
Screenshot_2018-08-16-23-04-26.png

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I think so too. Especially with an iceberg cup. Man, that car is pretty rare these days!

I just looked it up. Check out the pic of how many cups were made in both colours!View attachment 1381429

Then take out all the ones that have been crashed, exported or converted to track cars. I would love to know how many silver ones are actually left!