ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Trophy Owner

Elise, Trophy #31
Hi Everyone,

I'm setting off to collect "my" Trophy this evening. Harry Metcalf's fault, with his bloomin' Evo Diary video a few days ago. :cool:

The little Clio will compliment my S1 Elise in the "fleet", and might replace my 205 GTi 1.9 (if I can bring myself to sell it) :(.

I'll post some pics up once I get settled in the new car, and get it minted up!

Look forward to hearing from you!

Cheers,
Mark F

Elise, Trophy #31
Thanks for the kind welcome everyone!

I've collected number 31, from Dan in High Wycombe. Few little jobs I've spotted, but its in lovely condition really! Pics to follow.
coming from an Elise & Land Rover background, I can't believe the luxury, it's like an S-class Merc in the Clio!!

Congratulations.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how quick the clio is vs the Elise. Cross country my trophy is IMO faster than the vx220 I had previously purely because you can exploit more of the handling more of the time in a safer environment.

Look forward to photos!

Elise, Trophy #31
Hi Wick,

Was mostly motorway last night, so just starting to get the feel of it. It does hurtle off at the horizon quite well though! Will inspect front springs and dampers this morning, as the ride is bad, and on washboard surfaces, it nods it's head somewhat. Might have been lowered a fraction perhaps.

In other news, I'm on the look out of a right hand fodlamp/driving light to buy if anyone has a spare? Mine is cracked.

Time is dragging at work somewhat today (and so far, buyers guilt hasn't kicked in!)

Elise, Trophy #31
Thanks Willcrook.
I know the dampers haven't beef refurbished (which was reflected in the price), so they are most likely culprit. Will be a fun weekend getting to know the car a bit better!

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Thanks Willcrook.
I know the dampers haven't beef refurbished (which was reflected in the price), so they are most likely culprit. Will be a fun weekend getting to know the car a bit better!

Not a cheap job but well worth it, hope you allowed enough for this when you purchased it..

Elise, Trophy #31
Not the best of starts so far!

Bugger.....

Day 2 of ownership of my little 182 Trophy, and we've hit a snag. Stopped mid journey for a drink,keyed off, then failed to re-start. Bumped it, and got home. Then didn't start once home, not even trying to, but found a thread about the immobiliser getting upset, and overcame that by cycling the key to position 1 a few times. So, with the immobiliser happy again, It started (somewhat laboured)...

Bonnet up, hot electrical smell...

Test kit out, idling at 12.4v, then drops to 11.something with all the electrical things turned on (lights etc).

So... Can someone please point me in the direction of the "how to remove the alternator" thread, as looking at it, It looks as though they built the car around it, and that it's in there for life!

CHeers,
Mark F

Bumper off job unfortunately.

Sorry to hear that! Mine went a few weeks back.

You can normally find a second hand one in the classifieds on here or alternatively new from Renault.

Probably a guide (there is for most things) but I can't link from my phone! Good luck!

Elise, Trophy #31
Bumper is off!
LH wheelarch liner has been chewed apart, so added that to the parts list. Am off on Holiday Saturday morning to Scotland, so might end up taking the Elise on the driving tour, rather than the new Clio (so no aircon, bugger)

Am hoping that I have got the car to a stage where I can collect a shiny new alternator from somewhere tomorrow, throw it on, test drive, find all is fine, then take the Clio.

Condensor doesn't look like it's got too long left either :banghead:

​All good fun!

Elise, Trophy #31
Not the "look at my lovely new Trophy" pictures I was hoping to upload!

photo.JPG

Apologies for it looking as though I'm working on the car in a junkyard - I'd sent the servants home, and only then realised they'd left the bins and a tarpaulin covered heap of kit lying around!

Cheers,
Mark F

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Welcome mate. Hope you get it sorted relatively easily and don't let it put you off it, great cars these. Enjoy it!

Elise, Trophy #31
Welcome mate. Hope you get it sorted relatively easily and don't let it put you off it, great cars these. Enjoy it!

Thanks chap,

Am off to Scotland for the week tomorrow, so it can sit on the driveway and think about what it's done! Need to order a tool to reduce the aux belt tension to get the alternator off. Searched and found a suggestion that you could use a jubilee clip around the self-tension spring.... Buggered if I could get that to work!

Elise, Trophy #31
Back from holiday, alternator replaced, all repaired! Now to start looking at getting it looking its best, and refurbishing the suspension!

Clio Trophy 243/500
Enjoy :cool:
​ I had a few teething issues just after I bought mine but all sorted now...

just wish I had a bit more time to drive it!

Elise, Trophy #31
Right.... We aren't getting on well! 2nd breakdown left me stranded tonight!
I'm finding an intermittent fault with my Clio Trophy 182....

- unlock, all normal.
- key in ignition, to position before cranking, instrument warning lights all come on normally....
- all warning lights go out EXCEPT the Immobiliser light, which keeps flashing.
- turn key to crank engine, and nothing happens at all.

Isn't all the time, but left me stranded tonight. Had both keys with me, neither made a difference. Walked home, then went back, and after a few tries, it started normally.

does something in the ignition barrel "read" the key?

Cheers,
Mark F

Elise, Trophy #31
Afternoon all, happy Friday!

A quick update on the little Clio:
- Alternator replaced and working
- Starting/immobiliser problem seemingly resolved with a squirt of WD40 down the ignition barrel
- Off to collect the car in an hour or two from BG motorsport having had the dampers refurbished!!!!! Can't wait!

Hoping for a run of reliability now so that I can get on with cleaning/polishing, and a few small cosmetic jobs before the condensor gives up the ghost, and the aircon needs repair (which can't be far away, as the condensor is very flakey!)

Cheers,
Mark F