ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New wheel Bearing Rrundling

172 Cup
Hi guys,

Just looking for a wee bit of advise. A few weeks ago my offside rear wheel bearing started droning and gradually got worse until I changed both rear wheel bearings last week. The new bearings were pressed in correctly (using press on outside part of bearing so as not to damage) and circlips were seated correctly. Put them on making sure spindle and bearing were appropriately cleaned. Had new hub nut which I torqued up to 175Nm as per Renaults recommendations even though it is a nylon nut and you never get an accurate torgue reading from one of these type of nuts.

Anywya to cut a long story short I am getting a trundling/resonating sound when sitting between 65 and 80 mph. Seems to be non-existant at lower or higher speeds, though at higher speeds could be blocked by (private) road noise. When I go round a sweeping bend quickly to put more load on the OSR bearing (I know there is minimal on these cars, especially the Cup) there is no increase in noise.

I have also jacked the car off the ground and checked for play, even going so far as taking wheels and pads off but it seems pretty smooth.

Anyway obviously I need to get another bearing and try again(the disc is in good condition), just wondering if anyone has had any noises like this that have turned out to be something else or if there is a history of the rear hub needing replaced?

Cheers

Will

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
Im the same as u mate.
just changed a rear bearing.
the new ones just as bad, im wondering if somethings rubbing o the brakes are binding or something as i've just had new rear bads on too!

Megane dci 130
Check for featherd tyres, (like a nobbily affect). Also try changing front wheels to back.

Vw caddy tdi
I get a rumbling also mine is at approx 35 mph and 85mph (Private road) but have replaced all bearings and driveshafts etc ideas anyone or is it possibly road noise?? Anyone had the same ? the only part on front end rebuild I missed was the mani- down pipe join.. is vibration poss from this joint at diff rpms?

"Navy" N17 TWO
It sounds like the noise that I'm getting too.
In the same boat as you lot, changed a rear bearing (NS) about 3 weeks ago and had this funny noise since.
Since it was changed, I have found a bit of play in both my track-rod ends and O/S ball joint

All the wheels were balanced when fitting tyres for MOT and alignment has been checked too

Hard to describe the noise other than a vibrating/subtle rumble at speed - steering is sometimes twitchy too when turning into a junction

Also get a loud creaking noise when I reverse in full (only LEFT) lock and when stopping/pulling off

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
i have noticed that when i turn right, the noise almost goes away.
but straight and left the noise returns and stays at the same volume errelivant of speed and load on the car.

edit. i also changed the rear wheel to the spare. no better!

172 Cup
Yeah did a wee bit of investigating. Yurns out the rear caliper was jammed which had mean the brakes were slight;y applied which has fecked the first bearing and it is the brakes binding which I am hearing now. ordered new pads! Hopefully eliminate noise! :)

172 Cup
Yeah new Bearings fine, refurbed Caliper did the trick. The one in the link looks like the Nut wasn't tightened up properly, mines is def at recommended 175Nm and has zero play fromit and zero noise! :)

"Navy" N17 TWO
Yeah new Bearings fine, refurbed Caliper did the trick. The one in the link looks like the Nut wasn't tightened up properly, mines is def at recommended 175Nm and has zero play fromit and zero noise! :)

What caliper was it mate, what needed done to it? :)

182FF
At 60mph upwards I get a rumbling noise from my offside rear wheel. I can feel the vibration through my steering wheel also. I replaced the rear bearing but it only disappeared for a few days :S any ideas guys?

Sam

At 60mph upwards I get a rumbling noise from my offside rear wheel. I can feel the vibration through my steering wheel also. I replaced the rear bearing but it only disappeared for a few days :S any ideas guys?

Sam
Wow you have bumped an old thread lol :)! What make of bearing did you fit? My guess is you have missed the spacer out which goes between the disc and the hub?

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I had a rear bearing fail on mine a few years ago. It was a new one as well. Had it replaced under warranty as it had only been done a couple of months before it started making a noise.

182FF
Haha it's how's it should be done! Use the search button before creating a new post! It was a mechanic that fitted it for me and it was oem ordered off G172.
Could it be a failed spring? I'm sure the car sits Lower on the right hand side /:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348317307.911663.jpg

182cup & 172 racecar
Easy way to find out, jack the car up and see if the spring falls out.

Even mechanics miss out the rear washer that goes behind the disc.Fact.

182FF
Lol then I'm shagged if the spring falls out ha. He's changed the bearing on my last Clio, maybe he forgot this time /: how do I check ha

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
If you want to check if the spacer has been left out. Jack the wheel up and check for play. It will move a lot. Saying that if it's not in their. Park on level ground and look from the rear. One wheel will be cambered more than the other meaning the spacer isnt fitted.

Made this mistake myself.