ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Windows Laptop

Inferno 182 CUP

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
right, when did you last use an acer? you clearly know nothing acer are very good, not lenovo good but still very good

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I have a lot of experience in all computer hardware manufacturers. Thanks.

If you want a POS sure, go right ahead and get that Acer.. It is PC Worlds/Curry's top selling brand after all... and all technically minded people like to shop for their computer hardware there.. oh wait.. lol

People buy them because they are cheap.. and they are cheap for a reason.

Oh and don't even get me started on their tech support..

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Well you would know that acer used to be s**t, they have improved massively in recent years but people still slate them for what they used to be like, suppose they are bit like renault really then. I have a MBP and obviously my old acer didnt have the build quality of a MBP but find me a windows pc that does. Acer are a good manufacturer.

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Well you would know that acer used to be s**t, they have improved massively in recent years but people still slate them for what they used to be like, suppose they are bit like renault really then. I have a MBP and obviously my old acer didnt have the build quality of a MBP but find me a windows pc that does. Acer are a good manufacturer.

Renault have improved?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
There were s**t and still are. There has not been any improvements. Next time you get your hands on one open it up and look at the chips Northbridge/Southbridge etc.

If you have a MBP then you obviously understand what build quality means... That's something Apple does (pretty) well. Acer.. not so much.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Renault have improved?

Strangely enough, having owned a 172, a 182 and now a 197 yes they have.

The 197 was a huge leap forward in build quality.. still no BMW lol but certainly an improvement.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
There were s**t and still are. There has not been any improvements. Next time you get your hands on one open it up and look at the chips Northbridge/Southbridge etc.

If you have a MBP then you obviously understand what build quality means... That's something Apple does (pretty) well. Acer.. not so much.

The chips on my old acer looked like ones from any other laptop to me anyway and i repair computer/laptops for friends and family so i have seen a few. I also think acer are making some of the best looking laptops at the moment, unlike HP who seemed to go through a stage of trying to look like a macbook.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
sbridgey, i'm gonna have to disagree with you on that too.. Acer's idea of making it look better is.. put more LED lights in it.. looks flashy init'

Danny,

Specification on the HP isn't the best, 5,400 rpm disk and core i3 isn't great by today's standards, but it's all relative as to what you are actually going to be using it for ? if it's web browsing then it's overkill if its HD video editing then then it's underpowered massively !

Last edited:

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
The chips on my old acer looked like ones from any other laptop to me anyway and i repair computer/laptops for friends and family so i have seen a few. I also think acer are making some of the best looking laptops at the moment, unlike HP who seemed to go through a stage of trying to look like a macbook.

Ahhh the slightly tech savvy family member.

Acer are s**t, Acer haven't improved, Acer will ALWAYS be s**t.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
lolwut

Acer are pretty epic for the money, especially with the spec they give. We've had a few reliability issues at work with them but modern HPs are f**king dog meat!

Fair enough I am talking about sub £400 laptops here and Acer are a damn site better that HP for equivalent money.

P.s, we don't buy either anymore. Bought a few Toshibas and they aren't too bad (C660) but the Lenovo B570/Asus K53e's seem the best budget laptops at the minute. Sandybridge i3's, 4gb ram, decent HDD for under £400.

FLOL.

If you just want it to run VCDS get a netbook. It does not need a £600 computer to run it.

Or just get paralelles and a copy of XP VLK and it'll run fine. (It works on my MPB).

Oh and Acer are s**t.

BTW is it a genuine or hooky VCDS lead?

Inferno 182 CUP
Yes but whatever i buy will be replacing my mac .. a netbook won't be powerful enough to do that ..

Its a genuine copy of VCDS

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Lol @ arguing with KDF.

You-dunn-no.

If Chuck Norris was in IT he would bow to KDF.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Hmm, everyone is entitled to an opinion though eh? I wouldn't buy the Acer over the Asus or the Lenovo but they aren't as bad as they are being made out to be.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Well I'm currently on that Lenovo I posted about earlier and for £400 it's a great laptop, certainly feels better than any modern HP I've used, mainly due to the keyboard/touchpad.

Like most I touch type so sometimes struggle with laptop keyboards, especially those with the numeric keypad but this is great so far.

Recommended! (Lenovo B570)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
im a Thinkpad *****, i love them, i always buy 2nd hand a few years later though apart from my current machine i bought new. I currently have here we go lol....

IBM T23 (my first laptop, just never got round to selling it, i maxed it out spec wise about 6yrs ago a mighty 1.2GHz PIII-M with 1GB of ram lol!
IBM T40 solid, slim, light, used to use it when i was on the move but donated it to my sister, shes not that keen on it as its "boring" to look at with no webcam etc lol! (upgraded to a 2.2GHz P-M, 2GB ram, fastest IDE hard drive i could find! flys in windows xp for what she uses it for!)
Lenovo X61 (this was my machine i replaced the T40 with, little 12" machine, i spent a BOMB upgrading it to a 2.5GHz core 2 duo as the cpu's are soldered onto the motherboard so sourced a brand new replacement with the 2.5 LOL cost me about £300 just for that! also runs 8GB of ram, OCZ SSD. i like it to much to sell it, im one of these people that holds onto stuff!

and my new machine that i replaced the X61 with as my daily is a Lenovo X121e, Intel i3 1.4GHz, 8GB ram, SSD etc love it, its brilliant!