ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New York - Feb 2009 (pic heavy)

Last week was holiday #4 to New York for me and the other half, can't get enough of the place! Had a cracking time, probably our best trip yet; the weather was incredible (didn't see a cloud for 3 days), the City threw up its usual surprises (that the locals don't give a second glance). Amongst other things we saw what we think must have been at least one suicide attempt, the other half got on TV for a while during an NBC Weather Report and we walked straight through a scene of Law & Order that was shooting on our route back to the hotel one afternoon.

On to the pics anyhow, as I got loads of photos I was really happy with in 2007, I decided to try some new things this time around. The 10.5mm Fisheye got loads of (over)use, it was bought specifically for the trip and is being sold now, so wanted to get the most of it. Also looked forward to trying out the 50-150 as I'd never taken a telephoto before...

478415074_gvmKF-L.jpg

478401543_J2Br5-L.jpg

478791181_wnMw3-L.jpg

478775556_7sUv8-L.jpg

478773712_wnPGv-L.jpg

478761650_Hygh6-L.jpg

478685139_wsSwq-L.jpg

478675600_g7NxB-L.jpg

478691686_J6ozm-L.jpg

478708754_quohA-L.jpg

ESB Observatory
478396090_4Y5rJ-L.jpg

478392161_uVWv9-L.jpg

Last edited:
  mk5 fiesta zetec s
just gonna say some of the best pictures i have seen in a while. i have put the city one as my background. is that the view from the building you was staying in??

172//Crap Micra//Bus
OMG, I'm absolutely speechless... Superb, every single one of them is fantastic. The EBS Observatory, and the Empire State Building?! one's are amongst the best for me. Great work fella, hope you had a good few days away. Thanks for taking the time to share with us!! :)

mk5 fiesta zetec s
those pictures have made me want to go to new york honestly mate. think ill have to settle with great yarmouth lol. what camera was you using?

OMG, I'm absolutely speechless... Superb, every single one of them is fantastic. The EBS Observatory, and the Empire State Building?! one's are amongst the best for me. Great work fella, hope you had a good few days away. Thanks for taking the time to share with us!! :)

Cheers bud, was pretty pleased with them myself considering that 90% of the time I was absolutely exhausted (we walked EVERYWHERE, it's the best way but it's so so tiring). Now going to save our butts off and try and go back for a couple of days over Christmas, at this rate it would be cheaper to move there!

those pictures have made me want to go to new york honestly mate. think ill have to settle with great yarmouth lol. what camera was you using?

Nikon D90 (DSLR) and a couple of different lens. Very very pleased with them!

172//Crap Micra//Bus
lol, I've wanted to move to NY for years now, if only for a few years to experience the lifestyle. But haven't actually been lucky enough to get myself across over there yet.

Just saw a few of these on Flickr - all great shots. Especially like the various night scenes with the deep blue skies.

Awesome! Did you take any video on the D90 whilst you were there?

No not really, the other half has a video camera so she was doing all the video. Would have liked to have played around with it, but didn't really have the time, and I went support-less anyway (no tripod or anything) so it would have been awkward.

What lens's (that dosnt even look like a word) did you use.

Nikon 10.5mm 2.8 Fisheye, Sigma 20mm 1.8 and Sigma 50-150 2.8. Also took my Nikon 50mm 1.8 but didn't use it once, which a year ago would have been unthinkable!

Not tempted to keep the fish eye?

No, not really. Can't really see what else I'm going to use it for now, and I should make a profit on it so it's been more than worthwhile having it for the trip. If money was no object then yes, I would hang on to it, but realistically it's going to pay for a large chunk of another holiday.

EP3 Civic Type R
Only just seen this thread- what fantastic pictures.

Well done mate, you have a fair talent there....

Ian

Focus TDCi
So I completely missed this thread, but caught them on Flickr thank god! These really are professional quality photos Chris.. you could easily make a mint from them if you wanted to. This thread should be a sticky, so everyone can compare their photos to these before posting. :)

Clio
chris, your talent never fails to amaze me, excellent photos. From what I remember New York never looked that good in real life!!

none :(
great photos mate

i went oct 07 and i know what you mean about the weather, ive got the new york times at home dated 05/10/07 and the weather report was highs of 81 and low was 72 in the evening

Cheers guys, pleased they are liked as much as enjoyed taking them.

Had a few comments elsewhere about the lack of people...it really was that quite and to be honest we've never experienced 'busy New York' as we've always been in the winter. All the guide books talk about 2-3 hour queues for things such as Statue of Liberty or Empire State Building, but the longest we ever spent in a queue was 2 minutes tops. We were literally the only people that went up to Top of the Rock (far superior to the ESB Observatory) when it opened one morning.

On a sad note, although we generally avoid the area, Virgin Megastore in Times Square is closing down, the big clearance started on our last day there. Century 21 (horrible clothes store) has offered more rent for the location so Virgin are off to 14th Street.

Ian

Focus TDCi
I see that one made explore as well. Good going. :D

Yeah congrats on that Chris. :) I think it's probably fair to say that the majority of them would have done, but that one went up a bit earlier than the rest.