ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

NEWBIE ADVICE - 182 Tropy or V6 Clio

S1 Lotus Elise
Hello All :rasp:

Looking about at the moment and really fancy hot hatch again :D . Currently have an S1 Lotus Elise with few mods. The Elise gives a fantastic drive, but just need something with a bit more power :race:

I really fancy a Mk1/Mk2 V6 Clio, but some one also said try a 182 trophy as they are a laugh as well.

Any Advice etc any one can give?

Thanks

Kelv

Lee

BMW M2C
Both are very different cars.

First thing to decide would be front engined front wheel drive shopping trolley with a 2.0 16v engine up front and immense chucakbility and excellent performance for a car of that size and class.

or

Mid engined RWD 3.0 V6 shopping trolley which takes a more tallented driver to extract the best on track, but looks amazing, attracts so much attention and sounds lovely.

Both cars are special though, being numbered and limited in numbers.

I always find it's odd to be considering one or the other as they are totally different cars. If I wanted a Clio Trophy or something similar a V6 wouldn't even be on my short list due to it being a totally different type of car i.e. 2 seater. Obviously 2 seats are fine for you if you have an Elise.

Welcome to ClioSport.:D

S1 Lotus Elise
Know what you mean Lee, hot hatch FWD are good fun, but I like the idea of a RWD again with a nice bit of grunt behind me.

So any advice on what to look out for on the clios V6?

RS Meg 175
V6! gotta do it :D beautiful looking and sounding.
if not just get a replica off of eBay.....haha

[ps....ForTheLoveOfGodDont^]

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Hi kelvyn,

We've got a 182 and a Mk2 V6. To be honest they are like chalk and cheese in comparison. The V6 would blitz a standard 182 in a straight line, but show it some bends and the margin certainly closes up. Put the Vee up against a 172 Cup or a 182 Trophy and arguably, that margin will decrease even further.

However, for sheer road-presence, the Vee can't be beaten. It gets people looking at all the time and the sound of it, even in standard trim is very, very nice indeed. Expect low 20s on the mpgs, whereas the 182 will be low-to-mid 30s.

182 Trophys are only available in red, so if that's not the colour for you, you're kind of stuck. ;). Vee's come in a variety of colours - silver seems the most common on the Mk1's and Ilyad Blue is the most common on the Mk2. Slight power differences in the Marks - Mk1 230bhp and the Mk2 255bhp. Both have the same torque figure, iirc?

D.

Lee

BMW M2C
I'll leave that up to the V6 owners on here to talk about.

They do seem to have a lot less faults than most RenaultSport Clios though.

One thing you will notice is the fuel bill will be massive after your Elise. I was thinking of getting a series 2 Elise, one of the reasons was the fuel economy over the Trophy. lol

S1 Lotus Elise
Dont worry no 182 Tophy with a V6 kit, its not gonna happen :)

TBH Not fussed with fuel bill but whats servicing costs etc like?

Would love the Mk2 Version but dont think my budget would stretch to that so would have to be a Mk1

Lee

BMW M2C
You would be surprised how cheap the early Mk2s are. 53 plates in Illiad blue are go for around £15k Having seen various Mk1s on track and been out and driven a few Mk2s I know which one I'd feel safer in. Balls of steel are needed to push a Mk1 hard. lol

missmy257bhp r5/ got evo6
kelvyn said:
Dont worry no 182 Tophy with a V6 kit, its not gonna happen :)

TBH Not fussed with fuel bill but whats servicing costs etc like?

Would love the Mk2 Version but dont think my budget would stretch to that so would have to be a Mk1

mk2 v6 or a trophy dont like mk1 v6 (normally silver,17s, less power, ming head lights)

MINI JCW
get a MKII V6 255 as IMO they look better and according to reviews/road test they are significantly faster, handle better and overall are just better cars than the MKI

Clio v6
Biased owner opinion of couse, but I say get a v6 and you won't regret it. If you're at all worried about petrol cost then you've either bought the wrong car or you're just too poor and shouldn't have bought it.

Exige S1 + Honda S1
Having been in both id probably have the trophy for an everyday chuckable car, but the vee for all out enjoyment because of the noise, looks and torque

my bro has had an s1 elise and now a s2 exige and he loves the vee so im sure you will too!

look out for dodgy coil packs (they all go) any accident damage, wheel alignment and tracking.

S1 Lotus Elise
Lee said:
You would be surprised how cheap the early Mk2s are. 53 plates in Illiad blue are go for around £15k Having seen various Mk1s on track and been out and driven a few Mk2s I know which one I'd feel safer in. Balls of steel are needed to push a Mk1 hard. lol

Mk1 it is then :)

Thanka for all the info guys, will have a better look when i get back from Hols :rasp: