ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie: Dull finish

MK3 Clio DCI 86
I'm a detailing newbie,and was wondering if I could get some help with my really dull black gold 182.
Just purchased some Poorboys black hole and poorboys nattys blue paste wax for my new BG 182 and whenever I've finished the wash it's always dull looking, doesn't really have a shine. Well it kinda does but it doesn't look like I've polished/waxed it.

- Rinse with watering can (I have no hose/pressure washer)
- Wash with washmitt using Autoglym shampoo
- Rinse again
- Poorboy's black hole. Applied via foam applicator, left to haze and buffed with microfibre
- Nattys. Same as above.
- Get depressed as it looks no different than doing a normal wash with shampoo only.

Now I know the wax is doing it's job ok as the beading is lovely :eek: so I know it's there but it looks so dull and lifeless. Do you think I need to start claying my car ? or is the paintwork so knackered it needs a DA polish ? :S

Cheers guys.

Inferno 225 cup
Even if you think the paintwork is knackered it would still need a going over with a clay bar and lube to remove any futher contaminants imbedded in the paint work before the DA stage.

BG Normally comes up quite wel.

MK3 Clio DCI 86
The car probably needs a polish mate. There is nothing abrasive in Poorboys iirc, so you aren't polishing the car, just glazing.

Definitely give it a clay beforehand.

Right, i'll definitely give it a good claying, thanks chaps.
Are you saying I should use something like AG SRP as that contains abrasives ? then poorboys BH ?

Thanks for the help.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Personally I'd use the following steps:

Rinse
Wash
Dry
Tardis/ some form of tar remover
Iron x/ some form of iron remover
Clay (plenty of lube)
Rinse
Auto finesse rejouvinate
Black hole
Wax
Stand back and Admire

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
put abit of elbo grease into that aswell mate :)

+ when washing, it helps to do 2BM ( 2 bucket method ) this prevents any more damage to the paint work from not dragging s**t across it again

Not a 320d
Id use SRp over rejuvinate

SRP isnt massivly abrasive but it does get rid of light marring and cleans very well. Id only use a glaze if the paintwork wasnt that bad and just needed some gloss.

MK3 Clio DCI 86
Thanks for the help everyone, it probably does need a good coat of AG SRP and some claying, i'll get some ordered!! I want a really glossy finish so using poorboys BH after SRP is safe ?

God damn detailing always drains my wallet lol :(

The front bumper has been resprayed, but it's a decent job. Rest of the car is fine though :)

Cheers!

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
halfords is your shop for AG SRP and clay :) probably quicker and cheaper to pop in than ordered. might stil be 3 for 2 aswell

Not a 320d
Thanks for the help everyone, it probably does need a good coat of AG SRP and some claying, i'll get some ordered!! I want a really glossy finish so using poorboys BH after SRP is safe ?

God damn detailing always drains my wallet lol :(

The front bumper has been resprayed, but it's a decent job. Rest of the car is fine though :)

Cheers!

Safe, but pointless IMO, top SRP with a wax - no need to glaze IMO. AG HD wax is a good start, up from there is my personal favorite, Zymol Carbon.

MK3 Clio DCI 86
Safe, but pointless IMO, top SRP with a wax - no need to glaze IMO. AG HD wax is a good start, up from there is my personal favorite, Zymol Carbon.

Cheers mate, you've been a star. Can't believe I've wasted money on PB BH lol.

Not a 320d
Well use it as well then. BH is great, im not saying you cant use BH over SRP but if you have the time and already have the product then go for it. SRP will remove that grubby layer of marring and brighten the paint up a bit. Nothing amazing, but youll certainly notice the difference. Go over SRP with BH you may as well. Then apply a wax.