ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie, first clio - 1.2 extreme. any subtle mod recommendations?

1.2 mk2 ph2
Macca_Smith

here is my new clio extreme, first car newbie. want modify the car subtly, any recommendations? cheers!

http://s1093.photobucket.com/albums/i428/Macca_Smith/?action=view&current=IMG_0032.jpg

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I would go for the usual mods, sport grille (about £45 pound from the dealers), some 16'' sport wheels (2nd hand bargains to be had) and probably an Eibach lowering kit ( around the £135 mark).

1.2 mk2 ph2
how much do they normally charge labour costs for fitting lowering kit? would you recommend getting the rear windows tinted, and if so what %? cheers

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Around the £80 mark for labour at a guess. I quite like tints on a light colour car, I would go for smoke not limo black.

1.2 mk2 ph2
thanks mate, yeah i wasnt planning on limo black tbh, smoke sounds nice. when lowering, do you know how much i can lower it by taking into account i have 17" wheels?

a low one
get a cheap set of coilovers not eibachs, £180 and fully adjustable to whatever ride height you want, new wheels 15" or 16", CC door handles, painted badges, exhaust system.

Lots of cheap mods you can do too

1.2 mk2 ph2
thanks gunner3011 what are some of the cheaper mods that you recommend? does anybody know how to remove the door handles in order to colour code them or do you buy new ones?

a low one
All depends on what you like but

De-wipered rear - £1.48 for the grommet
Stubby aerial - few quid of ebay
Silvervisions - £8 from Halfrauds
Sprayed badges/Bullets - £20

Plenty of things to do with very little money tbh

1.2 mk2 ph2
what coilovers would you recommend? do you have a clue how much labour costs are (roughly)? as i am new to this, im not sure how to remove badges/bullets. if you could explain how to remove them it will be a great help. cheers, Macca.

a low one
for your needs id say Rokkor coilovers off ebay. you can fit them yourself as there incredibly easy to do.

for badges get a flat head screwdriver to prise them off with a cloth underneath to protect the paintwork and the bullets come off witht he strips, open your door and slide them off

1.2 mk2 ph2
thanks but there are no rokkor coilovers on ebay! :( cheers for the other advice. when people go about colour coding badges/bullets do they take them to get done or are they easy enough to do yourself?

mk2 ph1 1.4 S
if you want subtle get a set of standard renault alloys..... dont have to be clio ones though ;)

as has been said cheap coilovers... ( email rokkor on ebay im sure they will be happy to help ) and get colour coding...

spraying is easy peasy....

1.2 mk2 ph2
hmm, as i am only 17 i jump in to things, when getting the clio i decided that i wanted wheels quick and decided on these ones. after looking at other clios i wish i had gone for something more subtle! as i have only just bought these i doubt i will make much money on them if i was to sell them now even though they are mint, i would probably upgrade in the future however! ok thanks, do you mean get colour coding for badges/door handles/bullets etc? what paint do you use, where do you get it, how much for and how do you go about doing it (is there a particular method)? cheers.

mk2 ph1 1.4 S
rokkors are on ebay search for clio coilovers and you will find them.. £186

paint you can get from halfrauds or ebay.... about £5 a tin id suggest 4 tins to be safe....

sand, primer, primer, sand, paint, paint, sand, lacquer, lacquer.... wait til fully cured ( about a week ) then polish to get a decent colour match... theres a rough guide for you ;)

1.2 mk2 ph2
Cheers mate do you think it will be easy to match up the arctic blue colour as it has small shiny pigment type things in it?

1.2 mk2 ph2
Thinking on whacking the wheels on the bay and putting cash towards a non aftermarket set perhaps some smaller ones this time haha!

1.2 mk2 ph2
hi everyone i got some good news! the chavtastic wheels are soon to be on the bay, once my original 15" dynamique wheels are refurbed fully i will see the back of them! i am getting them refurbed and then sprayed in gloss black with the centre diamonds in arctic blue to match the colour of my car. what do people think to these colours on my car? any recommendations of colours for the wheels if these wont look right? also im purchasing some new tyres for these, on them atm are 185/55/15 (standard i think) should i get a lower profile wheel baring in mind im only lowering it by 40 mm next week? cheers

1.2 mk2 ph2
Just a few pictures after i have got my car lowered on 60mm springs, got a few other little bits put on the car too (bullets, gear insert, badges back from sprayshack) and also cliosport sticker and tax disc holder.IMG_0098.jpgIMG_0102.jpgIMG_0103.jpgIMG_0094.jpgIMG_0096.jpgIMG_0101.jpgIMG_0093.jpgIMG_0099.jpgIMG_0097.jpgIMG_0100.jpgIMG_0104.jpgIMG_0095.jpg

still got the chavy wheels on, they dont look as bad as they did before, but these are just on until i get my standard ones back from refurb (satin black with arctic blue diamond)
these wont be on long either, just until i have enough money to buy some turini's (black).

1.2 mk2 ph2
cheers mate, im big fan of the colour too! is it easy, i want one because it does make such a difference, just havent got the pennies this month :/

Very easy, you take two pins out and the rest of the grill is just push fit. Wiggle it out carefully and pop the new one in. It makes a difference without looking like you've modified it because it fits so well.

I had to enlarge the hole in mine to take the bonnet alarm sensor but haven't seen that mentioned elsewhere, might be just me.

IMO ottoman blue is the best non-sport colour, especially when the bumpers are coded. But then, I would say that!

1.2 mk2 ph2
ah right cheers mate?

is mine ottoman blue or atctic blue can you tell? i thought mine was arctic blue?

Turbos.
Good move lowering it, but the Mk2 can't pull of 17s. Just looks like a rollerskate...

I appreciate when you're younger its all about getting attention, but i would defo be on the hunt for more subtle wheels.

MK3, RX450H.
Tints would look good. Dark smoked. NOT limo.
& definitely some different alloys. 16" as well.
Lowering springs, or even coilovers. Depends on how much you wanna spend.

1.2 mk2 ph2
Good move lowering it, but the Mk2 can't pull of 17s. Just looks like a rollerskate...

I appreciate when you're younger its all about getting attention, but i would defo be on the hunt for more subtle wheels.

yeah i agree, realised i made a mistake once i looked at how good everybody elses car looked on here! dont worry they are going soon, my standard 15" ones are coming home soon after refurb. they will go back on for a while until i have enough money for some black turinis. gonna sell these 17" ones and then the standard ones and use the cash to get some turinis! just finding some though :/!

1.2 mk2 ph2
Tints would look good. Dark smoked. NOT limo.
& definitely some different alloys. 16" as well.
Lowering springs, or even coilovers. Depends on how much you wanna spend.

i like the tints how they are tbh, i think they look good! yes i know the wheels look s**t, getting the standard 15" ones back on soon after refurb, these will stay on for a while then when i raise enough cash i want some black turinis! i think they will look good with this, i think black goes really well with this colour! i have black badges and bullets too so i think it will look decent