ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie from Le Mans

Clio 172 Ph1
Hi everyones!

My name is Alaric, and as mentioned i'm from France, near Le Mans.

I have a Ph1 172 since 2012 and now she have 225 000 Kms on the odo (approx 140 000 miles)

The car is actualy disasembled for a gearbox rebuild and i hope drive it very soon!

35949992213_55b2f03322_c.jpg

35924696534_38d4d74008_c.jpg

36619807141_4fe9caaca4_c.jpg

855878P1020340.jpg

I have also a 1.6 16V Ph1 "Sport" for everyday drive!

m4ma.jpg

tqmv.jpg

Because English is not my first language maybe i'll not be posting much but i'm reading a lot from your forum, this is by far more easy than Facebook group i think!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
That Ph1 looks very clean!

I've been to the Le Mans 24 Hour race for the past 7 years, great place!

Clio RS 172 2002
Love your Phase 1s. We only got 85 172 Phase 1s in Australia (and no other the of Phase 1) so they are pretty rare and are becoming more appreciated. :)

Clio 172 Ph1
I didn't know Renault export cars in Australia! Renault cars in general don't be very common in your country?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Nice pair!

In the several times that I have driven in France, I don't think I've seen a RenaultSport Clio on the road? Do the French not like their own produce? ?

Clio 172 Ph1
There are some but unfortunately, here peoples are more concern about economy than pleasure when it's come to cars...

This is why 70-80% are diesel and borings cars... But this is about to change because taxes on diesel are increasing a lot... Since 30 years, diesel was fiscally advantaged but this is the end of this era.

prix-gazole-projection-2022.png

People are now buying gasoline or hybrid cars (but still boring ! :D ) and i'm happy with that, i can't support anymore the black smoke and nasty odor of diesel engine...

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Your 172 looks lovely, as I'm sure you've noticed there's much appreciation for the mk1 clio still in the club. Welcome to cliosport[emoji1073]

Clio 172 Ph1
Hi guys!

The Clio 'll be back on the road this afternoon if everything is allright after two month of repairs!

in summary:

Gearbox rebuild with Ph3 diff reinforcement
Clutch Kit
Timing Kit
Dephaser Pulley
All oil seals
Seal of the oil pan
Accessory kit
Water pump
New steering pump support
Steering rack standard exchange
Powerflex black steering rack hard bush mount
Top suspention bushs and bearing
Clio 1.2l exhaust thermal screen
All the fluids and filters

The most tricky thing to do is the aux belt, what a crappy design... Must be ingenious to put in place...

07z7.jpg

22s0.jpg

d543.jpg

2d9g.jpg

umu1.jpg

3t7a.jpg

jxmj.jpg

mfbj.jpg

y2f6.jpg

v01v.jpg

3d6y.jpg

jgjz.jpg

t4r9.jpg

6w84.jpg

nzzz.jpg

u955.jpg

0525.jpg

1hvr.jpg

lxy7.jpg

c0o7.jpg

oxt9.jpg

ocuu.jpg

s59r.jpg

u0e7.jpg

crlz.jpg

e763.jpg

x0da.jpg

xsye.jpg

fkpy.jpg

b0i5.jpg

jvsu.jpg

nnu4.jpg

g1fd.jpg

ogdv.jpg

xe2q.jpg

nmka.jpg

ezxm.jpg

I'm so exited to drive it again!

Last edited:

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Brilliant update, just had a coffee whilst looking over your pictures.

Clio 172 Ph1
Thank you!

I hope going up to 300 000 kms without opening the engine.

Anyway, the Clio is back on the road! I drove it this morning a few kilometers to check everything, and it was all right!

I'll drive it further maybe this evening or tomorow.

mz37.jpg

bup1.jpg

dbfg.jpg

Clio 172 Ph1
All right, so i drove it maybe 700 Kms and everything is ok except one thing.

The second gear is very hard to pass when gearbox is cold... i mean, very hard. Shifting from first to second is always ok, but third to second this is another story...

After 15mn or so and getting hoter, the problem dissapear and it's ok. This is a very strange problem...I've never seen this before...

Anoying for a fresh rebuild gearbox...

Clio 172 Ph1
Hi folks.

The Clio keep doing all right exept the seconde gear hard to get in under certains conditions.

However that isn't keep me from going on local events with Renault Sport friends. :D

2sp2.jpg