ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie!

Zetec s
HELLO people!!
I'm Tom and i just recntly signed up. Dont yet own a clio but i am seriously trying to scrape the cash together to get myself one. Quite fancy a 172 of some sort. Probably going to be looking at spending around £6000-7000 ish. Currently driving a Fiesta Zetec-s 1.6 but am looking for something with a bit more va va voom lol!!!

What are people general opinions on the 172's i.e running costs, faults (it is french after all) and what spec do u think i should expect to get for my money.

Cheers for the advice in advance guys!!

P.s nice forum

Tom.

Black Mk2 172
Hello im relativley new aswell , ive got a Mk 2 172 - great fun paid 7k for mine with 8k on the clock last august , running costs - good , faults - not had any yet touch wood.

Megane Mk4
Hello and welcome to CS..

Surprised you didnt look at the festa ST instead of the Clio Sport tbh but if your after one theres quite a few floating about up for grabs.

As you said, the clio isnt the best built car but, the drivability and fun you can have makes up for the rattles and creaks! ;)

Good luck in finding a decent deal matey :D

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Hello mate,and welcome to clio sport.

Iv'e got a Mk2 172 and i'm very happy with it,i think they are very good value for money for the performance you get, i was very surprised by how fast they accelarate and how they handle.

The only problems iv'e had with mine have been annoying rattles [most have them] and a missing headlamp washer ball.

Clio 172 mk2
Welcome to the forum

I've had my 172 for around 3 months now and I'm very happy with it....looks good, goes well and is cheap to insure...oh yeah, petrol consumption is good too!

I wouldn't worry about build quailty....that's soon forgotten about when your driving it:D

No more clio's for me!
Welcome mate, your making the right discussion!! lol

I've had my 172 since June, bought it from a lady owner who had it since new, it was 2001 51 plate with 36k on the clock and paid 6600 for it. Its been an absolute dream to own, great fun to drive and it looks the business!!! Good luck find your little minter....:)

Edit: Have a look on the cars for sale on the forum mate, some good examples for sale!!

Last edited:
  X-172 Cup
Welcome! Major Mechanical's are above average so don't worry about above average miles as long as there's FRSH.

Exhausts are poor so don't be afraid of buying one with an aftermarket zaust - the Renault ones are Crap & Expensive. The usual rattles from the interior as previously mentioned won't bother you while you are enjoying the performance.;)

WAY quicker than a Fiesta ST:
0-60 172 Cup = 6.7
0-60 Fiesta ST = 7.9 (LOL)

Golf R/Leon FR
welcome to the club, make sure you find a minter mate dont buy the first one you see make sure its in good condition!!
where bouts you from dude?

now then tom, i will let u have a spin of mine sometime when im off work. If u dont go out and buy one after 15 minutes driving it there is something wrong with u. lol.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Bought a 172 about 3 months ago,
Paid £6800 for it, 53 plate 18k miles, frsh, all the toys, climate, cruise, esp, xenons etc etc. Its an awesome car for the money, they really go well and handle excellently, the major mechanics of these cars are very good, Interior quality could be better (tho the mk2 ph2) is pretty good tbh. All 172's come with anti rattle its a small box in the middle of the dashboard press the Vol + button until rattling stops!!

Zorst can be a problem with these, Mine is still std and I will wait for it to go then have an aftermarket one fitted.

Anyway mate welcome and good luck on finding a car!

Megane Mk4
CrazyK said:
All 172's come with anti rattle its a small box in the middle of the dashboard press the Vol + button until rattling stops!!

pmsl..

You mean you know where it is too ?? :D ;)