ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newport to Rhayader - Sunday 6th April - 200+ miles of tarmac.

Liquid Yellow R27
Quick update all....

Sadly due to a few mobility issues I'm facing for the next few months and pending hospital appointments, etc etc. :mad:
It's looking like I won't be able to take part in the meet.

There is no physical way my body would handle it at the moment, I was hoping to have the appointments well out of the way by now but as we all know, GP's and the NHS cannot do anything correctly nowadays so thanks to push backs, 13 months down the line it's got to the point where I am unable to function daily. 200 miles with me leading a pack is just going to cause an accident in my current condition.

I'm genuinely gutted as I was looking forward to the first good days driving since my motorcycle crash in January 2013 along with meeting some new faces and catching up with others.

If there's any members on here willing to step up and take the lead for the day then please drop me a PM
I've asked Sharky and Matt W but just in case they are unable to it would be great if someone could take over.

Cheers lads and sorry to dampen the mood.

Sorry to hear that mate, hope you get sorted.

Bug

Megane rs250
Filters I hope things get better for you soon and a speedy recovery
Dont worry about this meet mate you just concentrate on looking after yourself, im sure all the members would step up and lead the route so theres no worries on that side
If you feel up to coming along to the meet as a passenger im sure one of us could accommodate you mate so you dont feel like your missing your own meet

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Sorry to hear that mate, hope you get sorted.

Cheers chapperz, I've got my fingers crossed.

Filters I hope things get better for you soon and a speedy recovery
Dont worry about this meet mate you just concentrate on looking after yourself, im sure all the members would step up and lead the route so theres no worries on that side
If you feel up to coming along to the meet as a passenger im sure one of us could accommodate you mate so you dont feel like your missing your own meet

Thanks for the well wishes Bug.
I am hoping to come along to the initial meet as it's only a few miles from home, but staying realistic I think even a passenger ride for the day would do me more harm than good at the moment.

If i can leave the running of the day down to everyone else then that would be great though i would rather leave it in the hands of someone who i know won't get lost or get everyone a shed loads of tickets (hearing from biker friends that the local plod are already out in force every weekend with the camera vans)

Bug

Megane rs250
Cheers chapperz, I've got my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the well wishes Bug.
I am hoping to come along to the initial meet as it's only a few miles from home, but staying realistic I think even a passenger ride for the day would do me more harm than good at the moment.

If i can leave the running of the day down to everyone else then that would be great though i would rather leave it in the hands of someone who i know won't get lost or get everyone a shed loads of tickets (hearing from biker friends that the local plod are already out in force every weekend with the camera vans)

If you dont feel up to it mate dont force yourself for our sakes, there'll be plenty of meets in the future for you to arrange and attend
The route you've put up my mate who should be coming with me knows the route so I shouldnt get lost and some of the others lads off here know the area too so thats nothing for you to worry about mate
As for the plod, just like the last meet im gonna be near enough on the speed limit not worth the risk of points or causing an accident

Bug

Megane rs250
Haha im trying to force myself for my own sake bug. Getting cabin from being stuck indoors!

I can imagine mate, I feel like pulling my hair out when im off work for a few days ill, I know I wouldnt be able to handle being stuck in my house for months

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Filters, thanks for the mention and keeping us up to date.

As you know, I am quite familiar with the proposed route and very much looking forward to this. However, as much as it pains me, my availability has just been thrown into doubt :( I'm currently trying to contact a couple of mates of mine who might go along to 'lend a hand' on the day as they, too, are familiar with the route. Personally, my reasons have changed due to the fact that it looks like I'll be jumping on a plane and heading out to Germany for work. I'm currently trying to see if I can fly out on the Monday instead.

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
SharkyUK

Sounds a shame, but work before play buddy!
At least you'll have the throphy back soon.........schrick-cam playtime ;)

I think MattW knows a fair bit of the route (not sure if anyone else on here does) but any-others with knowledge of the route on board would be a bonus for all involved so thanks for being a gent and asking about! Much appreciated bud!

I know the routes up there relatively well courtesy of one-too-many weekend drives.
I don't mind lending a hand if anybody still fancies this.

If folk want to start a little more central in somewhere like Cardiff or Pontypridd though then that could work too.

Last edited:
May go for an early morning scout of the route myself one upcoming Sunday. :)
I've driven most of these roads over the years but mainly just to get from a to b rather than going out for a blast.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
I know the routes up there relatively well courtesy of one-too-many weekend drives.

If folk want to start a little more central in somewhere like Cardiff or Pontypridd though then that could work too.

Don't forget about us lads coming from the correct side of the bridge mate! ;)

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Please don't go moving the start point Mike, there are people coming from further a field than most of the Welsh lot.
Keep it as Newport, that way it's central for the majority and fair for all involved.

Don't worry Lawro I haven't forgotten about the English convoy.
Feel free to spread the word to the Bristol/Avon/somerset lads if you can.

Good to hear you're coming along again mate!

Please don't go moving the start point Mike, there are people coming from further a field than most of the Welsh lot.
Keep it as Newport, that way it's central for the majority and fair for all involved.

Don't worry Lawro I haven't forgotten about the English convoy.
Feel free to spread the word to the Bristol/Avon/somerset lads if you can.

Yeah your PM made sense. Starting point of Newport is logical. Tbh I don't want to change anything, I just don't want to lose what could be an awesome day out lol. I live pretty central anyway so I don't care where we start.
Providing the weather isn't a piece of s**t I might scout out the route beforehand.

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Added you chaps on to the list of likely suspects. If anyone else is planning on attending, please feel free to add yourselves to the list below.

1. sharkyuk - Maybe
2. grantynp3
3. 182Trophy
4. chapperzuk
5. Tonyd106
6. BigBarry172
7. hodgins
8. j44snb
9. tomSX
10. danGill
11. Coreycolewilkins
12. cub - no longer attending
13. bug
14. craig_b
15. clio-addidas
16. M4D Max
17. RyanJ
18. -Chris
19. MJRacing
20. Cooperate
21. Dano'
22. Lawro
23. Tree200
24. harp172
25. msremmert
26. ash'

Ktec built Turbo 133
Would there be space for a ktec built turbo twingo 133 ;) the car will need a shakedown before combe spring action day and i love these roads hahah

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Looking forward to this now, hope the weather is as nice as this weekend :p

The forecast for the 6th has been changing like forking mental recently!
I checked it a week ago on "accuweather" and it said it was sunny hot and dry.
Four days back it said "sunny spells", two days back "light showers"...and today..."Couple of thunderstorms."

Needless to say I'll be keeping a closer eye over the next week.
If there is going to be storm on the 6th it's not worth doing as it'll be too dangerous.

Clio 172 (Now 182)
lol I didn't realise you could tell the weather that far in advance haha.. Ill be gutted if there are storms! but true it will be quite dangerous particularly on some part of the route :/

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I'd like to join but and its a big but...

Newport is about 1/4 a tank away, and 216 miles is nearly a full tank of fuel. This would cost me me somewhere in the religion of £100 just in fuel lol...

Bug

Megane rs250

Newport is about 1/4 a tank away, and 216 miles is nearly a full tank of fuel. This would cost me me somewhere in the religion of £100 just in fuel lol...

I know what your saying mate, newport is a load of miles in the wrong direction for me we'll be repassing my house on the route so im still undecided on if not to go that way and just meet the lads in brecon

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Hey Jaff.... I totally understand it's a big cost for some...mostly all involved, but in reality when you compare it to say a track day meet, it's not that expensive at all. After all there's some members planning on coming from 100+ miles away.

You could perhaps find another member who wants to tag along, share a car and split the fuel costs for the day?
That way you'd still get to join in the fun just with a cheaper overall cost on the day.

Either way it would I'm sure you'd enjoy it, the costs would more than make up for the fun and the chance to meet a lot of new car loving people.

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Weather should be good its been fine all week in newport

How are you anyway buddy? Feeling better ?

Getting there slowly but surely bug!
Having physio on my knee and hip at the moment, been given plenty of exercises that are helping to get me more mobile, still sore as f**k but hopefully that should be easing soon. Still awaiting further tests/examinations on my foot wrist and shoulder though. Forking NHS :banghead:

I'm still feeling doubtful that I'll be taking part in the drive but I will be heading down for the initial meet!