ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nikon 17-55 f2.8 thoughts?

Anybody had any experience with this lense? I've been thinking of buying one second hand for a while now and was wondering if its worth the £££.
I'm currently using a 18-105 as my walk about lense and want something better in low light and sharper.

Thanks in advance, Jack.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I was in the same position not so long ago and went for the 24-70 f2.8 over the 17-55

Yeah the 24-70 gets great reviews and its something I've considered. Only thing putting me off is the range on DX.
What made you go for the 24-70 in the end? Do you find it wide enough on DX?

Ultra Red Megane 175
One of the lads I shoot with (mainly motorsport) swears by his 17-55. He's taken some blindingly good stuff with it. Very fast and sharp as s**t.

Black Clio Mk3
I have a 24-70 and its amazing! Love the lens and good for wide angle shoots.

I currently have a 24-120 for sale on ebay.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
I have a 24-70 Sigma f2.8 and its fine on a DX body, super sharp and practically lives on my camera.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I love both of my f2.8's (70-200 as well) but if I need to go wider than 24mm I have my Sigma 10-20mm
Or in extreme cases or "just for fun" I'll use my Nikon 10.5mm f2.8 fisheye (fantastic little lens and a good one can be got cheap on eBay) ;)

The 10-20mm isn't or won't be as good as the Nikon 17-55 f2.8 but it does what I want it to do when it's called upon :)

When I pay off my latest purchase I'll look into a higher quality wide lens, whatever that will be i've no idea

It seems there is a lot of love for the 24-70 and im not surprised, I've never heard a bad word said about it. If I ever go full frame it would be the first lens i would buy! I just think for my shooting needs a wider DX lens will suit me best.
Tigger, the idea of having the 24-70 and a wide angle lens is a good idea and its certainly got me thinking.
I just like the idea of having the 17-55 and just leaving it on my camera and not having to worry about missing the moment.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I know what you mean, I was debating with myself for a few weeks over the same dilemma lol :eek:

Then I picked up a 2nd body ;) what body are you rolling with?

I'm currently using a D5000, its a pretty good little camera although its not great at high iso which has got me wanting some fast glass.
I use my 35 1.8 a lot because I love the images it produces and its amazing in low light so I'm hoping the 17-55 will give me similar results with a bit more flexibility.

I hope to upgrade in the near future to either the D7000 or the D300s replacement.

I also want to invest in some quality glass because as we all know 2.8 glass will always produce great images no matter what body its attached too. :D

I don't have any experience with the 17-35 but im guessing it would make a great wide angle lens on either the D700 or D3.

The 17-55 is DX only unless you shoot in DX mode which is not ideal on a FX camera? I take it your using D700/D3 Tigger?

I've finally bought a 17-55, can't wait for it to arrive. I'll write up a mini review/first impressions when I get it. Thanks again everyone for helping me make a decision:D.

"Navy" N17 TWO
No I have 2 D90's but I'd like to upgrade my Wide lens before going FF - it's deciding which one that's mind boggling me! :D

14-24?

You already have the 24-70 and 70-200 so you may aswell complete the set. You know you wanna ;)

"Navy" N17 TWO
True - never even thought of that actually lol

Won't be until after I pay off the other 2 gems anyway :)

That's meant to be a great lens. I was about to buy one before I went full frame. Pretty sure it's the equivalent to the 24-70mm in terms of quality etc