ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nikon D40 or Canon 350d

6/468 17poo
Ok i want to learn photography been looking at these 2 cameras and would like to know if for the extra money is the canon worth it?

Im used to compact cameras made by canon so kind of understand the interface would people stick with canon?

ive seen the D40 with lens for around £225 which seems mega cheap?

Ryan

Knowing very little about photography, but learning slowly; I'd say go for the D40, then at least that leaves you an extra £100 or so to play with on putting towards another lens, or some accessories.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Shouting out what brand you own ftw.

All I can say is try and handle both. Buying new the Nikon system is the cheapest to begin with.

I'd go for a 400D from the Canon eBay refurb store.

400D + a 50mm f/1.8 that can Auto Focus ftw.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Canon-Outlet
agreed, much better option.

d40 seems to be a bit of a white elephant regarding what lenses you can buy from what i have been hearing, no issues with canon cameras regarding this though.

My 350d has done me very wel over the last couple of years, more than good enough for a first DSLR camera if you can stretch to the 400d.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
I haven't tried a D40 but i do own a 350d and would suggest you try the Nikon first.
Although i do love my 350 it's showing its age against modern stuff. Screen is tiny and doesn't feel the best quality.

koi

Audi S1
Sainsburys had the 350d for £200 last time I was in, worth a trip to see if the deal is still on for this price

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
my gripe with the d40 is you cant auto bracket on the exposures, you have to change it manually. Apart from that seems a decent entry level DSLR

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
the sony cameras are brilliant. Lacking a few lenses at the moment but they are coming. Very good alternative to the "major" brands