ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nikon f1.4 lens

"Navy" N17 TWO
I'm on the lookout for a fast prime, thinking f1.4 will be sweet but haven't decided what focal length to choose :S

Help me decide folks have you any experience with these - better still pics? :)

The nominees are;

Nikon 50mm AF f1.4
Sigma EX DC HSM f1.4

I'll most likely make lots of use out of it at a wedding I'm doing later this year too

Trev

275 Trophy
Do you want f/1.4 for extra shallow DOF? I ask as that's the only reason I would want the 1.4 over the much cheaper f/1.8. If it's extra light gathering then just up the ISO a third of a stop, you won't really notice on a modern SLR.

"Navy" N17 TWO
It's those shallow DOF shots really, I have the "nifty fifty" which I might sell on maybe if I do step up (or down) to the f1.4 :)

I absolutely loved my Siggy 30mm f1.4 (it's for sale btw - Canon fit though!). By far and away my favourite lens. Easily my most used too.

It's more a general all-rounder though. If you're looking at doing any kind of portraiture then a fast 50 or maybe even a 80 might be better. Your DOF at 30mm, even at f1.4 isn't that shallow. It's speed was more for making more versatile in low light. The HSM/FTM focussing helped there too.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I see what you mean, need to have a bit more of a play with the 50mm I have maybe to make up my mind.....

"Navy" N17 TWO
Ha ha, was looking at a Sigma 30mm on the bay of E then randomly bid in the last few seconds on a Nikon 50mm last night....and won! :)

lol

See how you go with the 50mm and perhaps borrow a 30mm to give it a try.

I picked up a Sigma 30mm off ebay and I love it on my crop sensor - sometimes the shots are a little bit wide but you can always crop down (even though editing is cheating ;)). It just seems more natural to step towards something you want to take a picture of than back away so you can get everything you want in!

It worked really nicely at a children's party last weekend, got some cracking action shots on ISO400 that simply wouldn't have been possible on a 1.8 without bumping up to something like ISO1600, and 30mm helped give some surroundings/bokeh/setting to the pictures :)

"Navy" N17 TWO
That's what I have in the back of my mind - some action/candid shots with creamy bokeh to set them off :)

I've had the Sigma 30mm and a nikon 50mm on my Olympus E1 which has a higher crop than the Nikon, and the I felt for most things the sigma was too short, and tbh the nikon gives nicer bokeh IMO.