ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nikkor 50mm f1.4

Golf GTD Mk7
Currently i've got a D40 with nikkor 18-200 VR lense. The main reason for buying this was for motorsport work (couldn't afford the 70-300mm at the time), but i'm not getting enough time for this use. The main time i'm using the camera now is for family/friend occassions (weddings/birthdays etc), but i'm finding it very limiting, especially indoors. I doesn't acquire enough light even at f3.5. I realise the body itself is probably a hinderance, but I can't justify upgrading at the moment.

Plan is to sell this lens, and get the nikkor 50mm 1.4 AF-S as they are similar in price, but with it being a much faster lens, it should make indoor shots much better and consistent. Well that's the theory anyway??

Anyone got any experience with this lens? what's the range like? Limitations?

Any help much appreciated.

I'm a canon user :evil: however...

Just as a potential heads up, I think that your D40 has a crop factor of x1.5 (my 450D is x1.6) which can make 50mm an awkward length for indoor shooting. I understand it's a more useful focal length on full frame but given the choice I'd rather swap my prime 50f1.8 for a fast 35mm prime knowing what I know now.

That said, why not leave your 18-200 set at 50mm for a while and see how you get on with the range and if you find it limiting? (I find myself running all over the room and getting right into corners at times when its busy/cramped lol).

Just a thought, and I can't comment on any of the Nikkon technicalities. But I'd imagine the 1.4 is spot on for portrait work and events!

RB 182
I have to agree with Wick. I'm also a Canon man so can't comment on the Nikon gear, but found my 50 1.8 too limiting in the home, i'd look into a 35mm prime too.

Golf GTD Mk7
Hadn't thought about it like that, but the main drive for the change is due to lighting issues. I assumed that the 1.4 will take in more light, giving better shots in low/s**t lighting? The 18-200 is at f4.8 at 50mm.

I'm open to other suggestions lens wise, but i'm only looking at around £300 or a direct swap for this lens. Ideally I need a "fast" lens.

Definitely agree with the speed factor, my kit lens is 5.6 at 50mm vs my 50mm prime at 1.8. They are not even comparable so I'd imaging the 1.4 will be in another league.

It's got to the stage now where I wouldn't dream of using my kit lens in anything but broad daylight without a tripod if I wanted half decent snaps, despite the focal length limitations. Sure some of the Nikkon users and photo gurus will be able to give a far better insight than myself though.

Golf GTD Mk7
Other option might be the 24-120mm f4.0 lens. If I can get one for a decent price second hand. It would give a little more options for shooting, but i'm not sure if it would be fast enough and i'd be in the same boat

I've got the 50mm 1.4, good lens although quite soft at 1.4.

The main issue for you is 50mm on a cropped sensor is a really odd focal length as a prime. Depends what you want to use it for.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
The 35mm f/1.8 AF-S is a very good shout and sounds about right for you. It's also around £170 so you could save up a bit and not have to sell your current lens.

I've got a 50mm f/1.8 AF-D on my D60 and it's very good at low light shooting. Ideally for indoor use at home or trying to get more than 2/3 people in a shot, 35mm would be a much better focal length. I only decided to get the 50mm because I wasn't planning on getting a lens (had a gift voucher to use and didn't want to spend too much extra) and thought it'd be a good learning tool to advance my skills, especially focusing (as it doesn't autofocus with lower Nikons).

Try 35mm and 50mm on your current lens and see which focal length you'd prefer. Look at the focal length on previous photos you've taken, that'll give a good indication of what you need.

Another vote here for 35mm, fifty is talked about a lot but unless you have fullframe it's a mild telephoto lens!

The Nikon 1.8 is very good, very fast and has it's own Flickr group if you wish to check some samples.

RS Megane DCi 175
The Nikon 35mm 1.8 is a good lens, ideal for what you're looking for - as mentioned above, the 35mm is better suited than a 50mm on a crop sensor.
There's also the 30mm Sigma which is getting better reviews than the 35mm Nikon, although considerably more expensive at approx £300. The only thing that lets the 35mm down, is the amount of CA at f1.8, quite considerable for a AF-S Nikon.

tomsteer

ClioSport Club Member
On my D80 I used a Sigma 30mm f1.4, Awesome lens, great for close quarters people etc etc, on my D3s I use the Nikon 50mm f1.4 (the older non HSM version) and its awesome.

Golf GTD Mk7
I hate looking at camera stuff, it makes me want to get out the CC. Which it looks like I may well do. I've been looking at d7000's :eek:

"Navy" N17 TWO
I got myself a 50mm 1.4 & sold my 50mm 1.8 on - I've yet to use it properly though other than a few test shots :eek: