ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nimbus 197 Cup

Mini GP2
Having admired the hot Renault's for a number of years i knew it was a field where i would definitely enter it was just a case of waiting for the finances to improve and me finding my ideal spec car. I knew that from day 1 i had to have the Cup model purely because it features a revised spring/damper set up yet on the second hand market there is virtually no difference in price between a Cup and non Cup model (obviously this is comparing a similar mileage 197 of the same year as the Cup). The Cup is quite a rare model, Renault only built 432 for the UK market of which 79 where finished in my colour, Nimbus Silver (Glacier white and Racing Blue were the other 2 options, 266 and 87 of each were built). Mine does without the optional A/C and Recaro seats which i would have liked but this was a great example i just couldn't turn it down. A viewing was arranged on the 21st April, a quick test drive confirmed my decision. I wanted it and left a deposit that day. 4 days until collection, it was Christmas all over again........... but at my expense.

I collected the car on Friday (25th April) having handed over £6350 i could't help but think i had got an absolute bargain purely because the car was the cheapest 197 Cup in the country with over £600 spent on it in the last 4 months including the dreaded cambelt change. Collection day was a fairly dull process, picking the car up was exciting but the drive home in the pouring rain was fairly dull...... i don't think i managed to take the car past 4.5k rpm and when you have an additional 3000 rpm to play with it was a relatively boring drive.

Saturday loomed, dry day. Perfect. A spirited drive on a local seciton of A road and wow........ it felt absolutely fantastic. The steering, damping and initial turn in just feels sublime. You know exactly where the front end is and exactly what its doing. Coming from a 1.4 Fiat Punto to the Clio is just a revelation (which i did expect) but it really has left a big impression on me. The engine is so eager to rev and after 5k it pulls really hard right to the red line. The gearbox is a talking point amongst the Clio owners for it's reliability but mine feels absolutely spot on... precise and easy to find that next cog when you are really going for it. Lets hope it stays that way :)

Any criticisms..... nothing at the minute apart from i wish the pedals were positioned level with each other; the accelerator sits a couple of CM further back than the brake pedal so at the minute heel and toeing is a little tricky but i am gradually learning to just roll my foot across to blip the throttle on the down changes. The Punto required me to flick my heel across which once i got used to felt so natural but its a learning curve jumping into a new car and i can't wait to get to know the Clio better.

So anything planned for the car...... at the minute it feels great but the Falken's are looking a little low and once the summer is over they will be well and truly passed their best. Winter will see some AD08R's purchased (all round) in time for the spring. An induction kit is also on the cards and some other little trinkets, mainly OCD related. The front discs are lipped slightly so i think new front discs, pads and DOT51 fluid will be acquired at some point in the near future.

Pics below...

14042927233_93e1c19642_b.jpg

197 Cup
by Adam Melville, on Flickr

14019699782_36d7250fd0_b.jpg

Rivals

14042883113_3cc6fbd808_b.jpg

RenaultSport

13999743596_0dc5f3d59b_b.jpg

Rear

13999727026_49c66c5749_b.jpg

Group pose

14022823245_ff3dde20ea_b.jpg

Relations

14042799263_336d0aa015_b.jpg

Front

14019576002_9f592e7313_b.jpg

Arch

13999644696_084613bb37_b.jpg

Cup

14042752243_13e31a7190_b.jpg

Brembo

Mini GP2
The Recaro's would have been nice but I bought it purely on condition and service history. Loving it so far.

Great write up!, enjoyed reading it. You seem very enthusiastic which is a great thing! really liking the picture with all Three car's together, i bet there's been some good drives out ;)

Mini GP2
Great write up!, enjoyed reading it. You seem very enthusiastic which is a great thing! really liking the picture with all Three car's together, i bet there's been some good drives out ;)
Yes very enthusiastic, remember when the 197 was released and i was only in my 3rd year at secondary school but knew i had to have one so it feels good to finally own one at long last.

Been on a few local A roads etc... but heading to North Wales this Sunday with a couple of M3's and maybe an Integrale. Can't wait to see what the car can really do on a great road.

My cousin's bought that 182 that's pictured. It's a really good example he's loving it! We've been for a good few spirited drives already along the local B-Roads and what not, have to say my VXR just falls apart trying to keep up! forgot just how good these Renaultsport Clio's are.

Can't stop looking at the 197/200's now :D

Mini GP2
My cousin's bought that 182 that's pictured. It's a really good example he's loving it! We've been for a good few spirited drives already along the local B-Roads and what not, have to say my VXR just falls apart trying to keep up! forgot just how good these Renaultsport Clio's are.

Can't stop looking at the 197/200's now :D

I wrote the advert for that car; my mate didn't want to sell it really but he has just got himself a MK1 Focus RS so it had to go.

I spoke to Andy when he came to collect the tax disc, i am happy it's gone to a good home.