ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No power at fuel pump or coilpack

Itb'd 182
Hi everyone ive had quite alot of problems trying to get my f4r engine non sport to start , it cranks fine but on ignition the fuel pump wont prime , i tested to see if i can get 12v at the fuel pump and coil pack and it doesnt seem to be getting power at either , so im putting it down to either a faulty rear interior loom or a broken relay ? which relay runs the fuel pump and coilpack ? cheers

Megane dci 130
Fuel pump and coil share the same feed. The fuel pump relay is one of the little black ones behind the passenger headlight.

Itb'd 182
i just went out and tried a few other relays still no voltage at either , is there any other fuses or anything else that could be causing this ?
thanks

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Firstly, and if you've not already done so, it wouldn't hurt to press the inertia switch (Red rubber thing on the passenger turret) just incase it has accidentally been tripped. It'll make an audible "Click" if you press it and it has tripped. This is a safety device that cuts the earth lines to these circuits in the event of an accident killing the engine and fuel pump circuits.

IIRC the main control relay(s) switching circuit is always powered on the 172 and the ECM switches the earth on and off. In that case its possibly/proberbly not the relay itself that is at fault but the ECM controlled switched earth that turns it on and off. Firstly, make yourself up a 'jumper' cable out of a short length of wire and two spade connectors and simply bridge the two pins on the relays circuit side (that'll be the two bigger pins on the relay with thicker wire on the underside of the relay board if you're not sure) and see if the car starts.

If it does you've found and proved the problem however its far from fixed and do not use the jumper as a permanent solution as the pump and coil pack will be continuously powered and run the battery flat... not to mention it will be a fire risk if you use a small gauge wire!

Now you need to work out why the relay isn't switching on/off - With a volt meter check that one side of the switch side has a permanent or ignition controlled +12v. If it does you will need to check the wiring between the relay board and the ECM Multiplug that is supposed to control the earth to ensure it is continuous as it is possibly damaged (or the ECM has developed a fault). If it doesn't have a +12v then you should check all fuses in the car and engine bay before then checking the power lines for wiring faults to.

Mick

Itb'd 182
hi mick , ill give this a go tonight after work , mines a ph2 and doesnt have the inertia switch thanks for the info

Itb'd 182
right ive tried bridging the the two relay terminals this did not make the car start , i check all the fuses inside the car and in the engine bay these are all fine , ive checked all earths and the majority of the wiring , so im putting this down to a bad engine loom ? im guessing where all the relays sit in the engine bay is damaged ?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Possible but in my experience, unlikely unless there are obvious signs of damage or you've done some recent work that has involved the swapping of engine looms (Renault likes to keep people on their toes by "modifying" loom specs and pin-outs from time to time).

Pics? Are you sure you bridged the correct relay? The first is for the low speed fan, the second is for the fuel pump operation and the third (which is out there on its own) is the main power switch for the various sensors required to run the engine and it is this relay that you should bridge first. You may also need to bridge the relay for the fuel pump to IF there's a fault with the controlling side wiring; switched earths and perm +12v lines.

Mick

02 RenaultSport Clio
Did this get sorted? I am having exactly the same issue - no supply voltage on the contact side of the relay. Coil side is working fine. There is voltage to the other 2 relays though. Very frustrating.

dci 105hp & rs172
hi mates

I have a similar problem, I have a clio 172, the engine runs fine but will not start.

Has fuel, pump is okay, but no energy in the coil cables / plugs.

crankshaft sensor is new.

What else can it be?