ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nokia Lumia 800 Windows Phone 7.5

Hello Guys,

I have been playing around with a Nokia Lumia 800 WP7. So far its quite new and different to any Andorid or IOS5 device I have used. I am unsure if I like it, only tome will tell.

Any CS peeps have a Windows Phone? Any tips or App recomendations???

SD

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I think there's one guy on here that does, just hang around. He'll be on at some point.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Had a play with one the other day. The screen looks kinda funky but it was very thin on everything else.

275 Trophy
Been looking at these for my next phone as I've always been a Nokia fanboi. I've had mobiles longer than some on here have been alive. Seems that if you want to mess about with a million apps for different things, then this isn't the platform for you. If however you want just calls/text/internet/camera then it gets some good reviews. Camera isn't as good as it's rivals though, but that's not important to me. Battery is much more important and that isn't any worse than the rivals it would seem.

But 'It doesn't do this' and 'This bit isn't as good' and 'It has about 4 apps'

Is that forgivable now? Just buy an iPhone/Android and have it all from the start.

275 Trophy
All that extra stuff just doesn't do anything for me. How many people buy a iPhone 4/Galaxy S2 and then after a week or so never use all the extra stuff? The windows integration is something that appeals to me more than anything TBH. It's a new platform and will improve I'm sure, just as the others did. I've used Symbian OS for years, including Psion PDA's, so for Nokia to ditch it and switch to Windows mobile, they must have big plans for it.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
This phone has so much wasted potential, screen is awesome, but it just doesn't quite deliver the functionality it should. Also a Nokia fan for many many years, so I hoped this might be the one to turn them round. So close....

They're fighting a losing battle really.

They need an awesome phone and great apps to attract people. But you don't attract the devs without the sales. So you have no apps. So no sales.

I use all sorts of things on my phone that I'd miss if I switched. I presume there's Twitter/Facebook apps for it?

I like the design though the tiles thing is cool in concept.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
app support will come with time, remember when i first got my N8, app support was very limited, now ive yet to find an app that any of my mates use on android or iOS that i cant get for Symbian

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Need to replace my work phone really (so people can not bother to call that instead) might try to get used Lumia cheap and see what it's like properly rather than just playing

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
i have a lumia 800 its not a bad phone, not perfect but then what phone is perfect

275 Trophy
They're fighting a losing battle really.

They need an awesome phone and great apps to attract people. But you don't attract the devs without the sales. So you have no apps. So no sales.

I use all sorts of things on my phone that I'd miss if I switched. I presume there's Twitter/Facebook apps for it?

I like the design though the tiles thing is cool in concept.

Yes of course. It's not as basic as all that, and they're is a growing number of apps/games whatever. The devs are onboard it would seem.

I think its got potential.

I like the tiles and I think WP will be a big player. I have found plenty of Apps and the way the work is quite unique.

People should give them a try. The build quality of the Nokia is amazing.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
N800/N9/N900 hardware is lovely.

But so is the iPhone and that has a superior OS and Eco system.

N800/N9/N900 hardware is lovely.

But so is the iPhone and that has a superior OS and Eco system.

I feel IOS needs a massive revamp. You can not rest on your laurels with 'an aint broke so dont fix it attitude'. I for one am bored of IOS.

WP7 is a breath of fresh air

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
I'm using a Lumia 800 at the moment, and I actually really like it.

Windows Phone, like you say is a breath of fresh air, the GUI on iOS is as old as the hills now and bores me no end.

The live tiles are a nice feature as well.

If you can live without 59p apps then it's a brilliant OS. As let's be honest, the Marketplace on WP is a little limited at the moment in comparison to the App Store etc. < But with time it will no doubt expand.

BUT, as far as basic/normal functionality goes I've no complaints!

Last edited:
  DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
?Had another go with one today (customer let me have a play) and I have to be honest, I'm more impressed than I originally was. Actually a real contender, be very very exciting when WP8 upgrades are done

Rav4
I've bought a lumia 710, same spec nearly as the 800.

Galaxy Nexus S is back in my drawer and certainly won't be coming back out.

iOS is by far, the superior OS, I prefer W7 to Android.

Lumia 710 so far, is a good phone.

Just updated my 800 to the latest firmware 12072. Seems to have given it a boost in speed and the battery lasts over a full day with heavy use.

Really recommend this phone and OS

Rav4
Just updated my 800 to the latest firmware 12072. Seems to have given it a boost in speed and the battery lasts over a full day with heavy use.

How did you update the firmware? Directly through the phone, or via Zune? Thanks for the update

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member

How did you update the firmware? Directly through the phone, or via Zune? Thanks for the update

As above!

Having had a quick Google, the latest version is still:

Latest software release for Nokia Lumia 800 is SW 1600.2487.8107.12070 *

Although there are reports that 12072 is rolling out soon.

Zune is saying there aren't any updates yet either :(.

Rav4
Zune is giving me an error message, google says it's a facebook error but I don't have facebook, so don't see how that is. Thinking of re-formatting, but the backup tools aren't great, can't save SMS messages .......

80072EEF

:(

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Zune is giving me an error message, google says it's a facebook error but I don't have facebook, so don't see how that is. Thinking of re-formatting, but the backup tools aren't great, can't save SMS messages .......

80072EEF

:(

Despite how much I like the OS, the backup tools are awful.

There is absolutely no way of backing up your personal data without updating the phone as it takes a backup then, and then using that backup to restore the phone.

Pretty poor to be honest, and a big let down IMO.

Rav4
True. I never thought I would like a windows phone ever again, since the previous versions (piles of crap)

Anyhow, the backup tools are somewhat shocking.

I've done a backup using Zune and also using this tool > http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1379571

I reset the phone, but still getting the same error message on Zune when doing an update.

Not running a proxy.

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
True. I never thought I would like a windows phone ever again, since the previous versions (piles of crap)

Anyhow, the backup tools are somewhat shocking.

I've done a backup using Zune and also using this tool > http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1379571

I reset the phone, but still getting the same error message on Zune when doing an update.

Not running a proxy.

Same here!

Had an SPV C550 and that was absolutely shocking!

Thanks for the link to the backup tool. Will get that downloaded and back the phone up, as I have been meaning to for some time.

Theat is strange with regards to the error message. Although I have literally just tried to update mine and Zune is saying there isn't an update for it yet :(

Rav4
Ok, this is what I did, and recovered everything, including applications.

Full sync with Zune.

Used the W7 backup tool on the link above (need to ensure the phone developer tools are installed on the local workstation)

Did a reset of my phone.

Phone restarted as new.

Did a restore, via Zune.

Everything is back on my phone, including SMS and what's app messages.

Good stuff.

My goodness, no wonder IOS is superb, so easy and just works !

For me;

1) IOS
2) WP7
3) Android

Having said that, really loving WP7.

Ph 1 172
i had a lumia 800 from release date now and i have to say i hate it the battery life is terrible if you listen to music through the spotify app, sound quality is still not great from the update, app selection is f**king s**t. only saving grace for it from my mind is that they are selling on ebay for about £200 so that can fund me buying an iphone 4s again.

Update, the phone is starting to bore me now. Initially I loved this phone and in some respects I do i.e twitter an fb integration and the calender but as a complete phone. Not too sure now.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Update, the phone is starting to bore me now. Initially I loved this phone and in some respects I do i.e twitter an fb integration and the calender but as a complete phone. Not too sure now.

My girlfriends is awful. Its doing the screen freeze error when calling or receiving calls. This was known by Nokia and the update was meant to fix it, its made it worse if anything. Been sent away to see if it can be solved, so far an awful phone in my opinion.

Clio MK3 DCI
Lumia 800 is a great phone and Windows Phone 7.5 is a great operating system.

The bluetooth voice recognition works great with the parrot bluetooth in the clio.

Anyone who has battery life issues needs to install the update. My battery life was a little poor until the update. Works great now.

Overall this phone does everything I need along with all the apps I need for about 1/3 of the price of an iPhone 4s. Plus I dont have to use iTunes.