ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nokia N8...to keep or not

ex Clio 172 owner :(
Hi all,

I haven't been on this forum for a few years but came on today as I know there are a few geeks who might help.

Had an N95 8gb for 3 years. Love it. I use it for texting (very quick and simple), music ( 4gb enough for my needs), watching converted dvds on the rest of the 8gb, Nokia maps/tom tom, Sportstracker for running, half decent camera. Emails etc. Rubbish browser.

Anyway been chewing over Nokia N8 or Desire HD. Opted for N8 as T-mobile are doing me a good deal for loyalty (free phone, unlimited texts/3gb data/900mins for £20.50/month). Pretty decent. Have it here now. It's fairly quick, browsing is pretty good but that's me coming from N95. The rest of it is just more like a polished N95 8gb, same features pretty much just better internet experience and better camera. I like the size of the phone though as it's not as big as some other smartphones.

The down side is I do like most feel Nokia are slowing dying and I'm going to be stuck with it for two years. The N8 does everything I want in fairness but I feel over two years I'll lose the support other makers like HTC offer their customers, never mind 3rd party companies.

Texting on the N8 is fiddly - I don't like touch screens and hate hard key qwertys like the DesireZ, I briefly had an N900 but couldn't get away with the non portrait alphanumeric keypad.

I'll have to pay more for the DHD so do I keep the N8 or hand it back and get the DHD or just bide my time longer with my N95 which I appreciate my now to be honest as texting is so easy.

Does the DHD do a portrait alphanumeric keypad? I only see it being used in qwerty portrait or landscape in reviews.

Sorry for the long ramble.

Cheers.

:S

SLK 350
Does the DHD have an alphanumeric keyboard?

Yes, either predictive or non-predictive. If you turn it landscape you get the QWERTY pad. That said there's 6/7 good keyboards on the market (Swiftkey (my fav), Swype, Better Keyboard, et al). I'd do the swap personally, can recommend the DHD. Gingerbread should be coming shortly and HTC are always quick with updates. Nokia are dead in the water, unless their new OS manages to capture some imagination.

ex Clio 172 owner :(
cheers, already packed the N8 back up. It's a decent phone to be fair. Maybe not the fastest but decent all the same. Just dying support I feel.

Clio 172mk2
well i used my mates desire hd and thats not for me, its size just puts me off buying one. im actually considerin samsung galaxy s over iphone, sure many wud disagree with me on that one