ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Non chat oui ?

RenaultSport cup172 TT309
Thinkin about loosing the cat on my cup. Are cats the problem they always were ? I remember when they first appeared in the early 90s killin of a lot of good motors.
Obviously cat technology has come on since then as has ignition/fueling managment but is the cat bottleneck still restricting performance enough to justify loosing it ?
If i went down this road would a remap make it more beneficial or will "opening up the hole" do the trick in itself ?

Any personal experiences appreachiated...

(do all late model clio IIs have no spare wheel well or just the 182s ?)
:S

Just the 182 doens't have a wheel well.
All cats reduce power by creatin back pressure so a decat does help.

On a 172 the cat is quite restrictive wheras a 182 cat is much better (200 cell vs 400 cell on the 172) but both with gain from a decat.

A remap is a good idea but with just a decat its not worth it. Get the manifold modieid and an induction kit/better air filter and a remp is a worthwhile idea and reasonably important IMO to ensure the engine is fueling correctly and maximum power etc is gained.

So they've gone to all that trouble just for the exhaust ? (flatening the boot floor)
I've heard lots mentioned of big power increase on a 172 by fitting the 182 manifold but now i've learnt that, i'd say that its the full exhaust system that you'd need for that extra 10bhp.not just the e/manifold
Does the 182 have twin pipes manifold back ?

Wonder what it'd cost for a new boot floor - lol lol

Cup ov Ste 53 said:
So they've gone to all that trouble just for the exhaust ? (flatening the boot floor)
I've heard lots mentioned of big power increase on a 172 by fitting the 182 manifold but now i've learnt that, i'd say that its the full exhaust system that you'd need for that extra 10bhp.not just the e/manifold
Does the 182 have twin pipes manifold back ?

Wonder what it'd cost for a new boot floor - lol lol
You can buy the 182 rear floor pan its basically a sheel of metal.

The 182 lost the spare wheel for a few reasons
1) Saved weight so performace was better
2) the twin exhaust like the V6 was cheap to make if there no rear wheel well.
3) Saved money as a wheel whilct only costing say £20 each over loads of cars is a huge saving.

Your right the wheel exhaust gives the 10hp but there are ways to get more power 182 manifold with a decat to mathc with an ITG/Viper induction kit and some intake manifold working plus a remap is the cheapest power upgrades you can realy do.

The cost to modify the manufacturing process for one model would have been huge,it would far outway any cost savings in spare wheels !
And surely two back boxes cost twice as much as one ?
I think maybe their far eatern friends put em on to it, the japs have been twin piping for years to kill off the backpressure.
I think its purely coincidence that the mid engined clio's outlets look similar.
I've never seen a 182 manifold. has it got a split throated outlet, pressuming that is that it is twin piped right to the rear silencers ?

Someone told me that there was a lot of tolerance in the casts from the factory (I/let man's) and quite bad overlap in some cases, so i might look into matching the two together and to the head.

You mentioned an induction kit ? not just a high flow element ? I thought induction kits just made a lot of noise so you thought you were going faster - lol lol

172 cup'd extreme
The 182 manifold is 4-2-1 a single pipe to the rear beam where its splits off to two back boxes, the 182 exhaust manifold can be fitted to a 172 and does increase performance, combined with a decat you would net a healthy gain but you have to think is 2-£300 worth 5-10bhp and 5-10 torques?
The inlet manifold match is an excellent way of giving more power, BenR is the guy to do it, he not only matches it but flow's it. when i had mine done i noticed a smoother power response.
Induction kits are really a grey area of noise loss of power and expense, it all depends on what you want to spend and if you belive the hype, an open code type filter will almost certainly loose you power as it is positioned next to the thermostat area, an enclosed filter such as a viper is the way to go also a foam airbox filter and re-location of the cold air feed to the fog lamp recess or the lower grill can provide you will similar breathing increases.
A remap will be essential to the above mods in order to provide enough air/fuel r-sport/group n rstuning are all worth while.

I am talking from experience as i have all the above mods and can recommend them