ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Non genuine engine mounts any good ?

172 cup
Need new engine mounts for the Clio are the ones from Gsf an the like any good or is it best to buy the genuine ones ?

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Entirely depends on how you drive. Even genuine ones won't stand up to anyone heavy with the controls. Hence why poly bushed dogbone mounts are so popular.

Normal changes with a sympathetic throttle foot eg. Rolling on and not stamping on the throttle and any mounts will be fine.

Heavy use and you need at least genuine and polybushed dog bone mount or better.

CLK 55
I was going to start a thread similar to this. I've just replaced all my mounts minus the front gearbox mount..with genuine items. and I'm still getting what feels like a lit of movement between gear changes, lower the gear worse the movement.. it still needs a fair amount of clutch control compared to most cars. my Mrs focus for example... it's there something I'm missing? I've tried shifting the mounts as far forward as possible like people say.. but nothing has changed... now considering modified ones... our should I change the 4th mount first? although it looks to be in good order.. sorry if I've hijacked the thread I can start a new one if need be..
cheers

CLK 55
well that's me told... what a waste of money.. do the others give a lot of vibrations of the cabin? am I best mixing and matching? If so what are the ones to use. box, engine, dog etc.. thanks

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
To add some useful information, the only way I stopped the gear stick slack / movement / exhaust/subframe noise was to add the vibra ones. They are amazing pieces of kit.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
well that's me told... what a waste of money.. do the others give a lot of vibrations of the cabin? am I best mixing and matching? If so what are the ones to use. box, engine, dog etc.. thanks
I get a little at idle, but they idle rough anyway. I have vibratechnics engine and gearbox mounts, and a polybushed dog mount.

CLK 55
I don't have much gear stick movement, nor any manifold noise. just a noticeable amount of clutch control needed through the gears..?

172 cup
Entirely depends on how you drive. Even genuine ones won't stand up to anyone heavy with the controls. Hence why poly bushed dogbone mounts are so popular.

Normal changes with a sympathetic throttle foot eg. Rolling on and not stamping on the throttle and any mounts will be fine.

Heavy use and you need at least genuine and polybushed dog bone mount or better.

Yeah I've got the dogbone mount my gearbox mount has gone an it was fine to drive before hand just wanted to no if the genuine ones where of a better quality than the ones from Gsf etc

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Non genuine won't be s**t if they are OE quality. I have a non Renault top gearbox mount. The mounts aren't s**t. Renault or not. The Renault ones seem to be better finished wether the rubber is significantly better only time will tell I have had zero trouble with mine. The genuine ones aren't that expensive for mounts really. I just needed one quickly. It's run a few tracks so far with two drivers so gets plenty of use. They just don't stand up to people that slam their cars through the gears. A couple of tenths a second saved per gear change is not worth killing your mounts over unless your competing and then you wouldn't run standard mounts anyway. I still run a standard dog bone mount on mine and it doesn't knock even on track.

All this mount abuse is probably why the gearboxes seem to have a reputation for letting go.

The top gearbox mount will move if you do the outer two nuts up to Renaults torque setting. I just used feel to do them up nice and tight without going nuts and it hasn't moved since.

Last edited:
  CLK 55
When you say 'clutch control' - what are your symptoms? You have to feather the clutch in to stop, what?
it's just to stop the excess movement and jerking at low speeds, around town etc..and the initial amount of movement when on and off the accelerator also in lower gears.
cheers