ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Not Another 330CI.

BMW E46 330ci Sport
I sold my Clio 182 last August and went back to driving my first car. A 51 plate Green 1.25 Fiesta Freestyle. After 3 months of driving the Green machine I couldn't take it anymore and needed a car I could be proud of. I've always had the e46 330 itch and browsing the classifieds day after day only made it worse.

I saw this car listed on autotrader on Saturday after getting home from the gym. Drove to Leicister from London to view it and it was sitting on my drive the next day. It has 107000 miles on it and engine still feels nice and tight.
media8.jpg

img0980bh.jpg

img0978cn.jpg

img0977gh.jpg

It's a face lift 03 plate 330ci Sport Auto. My first auto and, whilst it can be a bit slow my pressing on, I am getting along with it so far. The ability to just leave it in D and cruise is something I'm enjoying thoroughly after only ever owning manuals. Options on the car include Harmon/Kardon sound upgrade, CD changer, Full memory seats, Bluetooth phone connection and Xenon's Would of loved heated seats but finding an example I liked with this option seemed impossible and I haven't missed having them yet.

The sound of the car is infectious and my MPG (18mpg average) is paying for it at the moment. My commute is all town roads and traffic though.

After having the car a few days I got a coolant warning light on. I checked the level which was indeed low so I topped it up. The next day after getting to work I looked back at the car and noticed steam coming out the front grill. Upon lifting the hood I was greeted with coolant bubbling out the expansion tank. I then did a bit of research and familiarized myself with the process of bleeding the coolant system. 48 hours after of filling, bleeding, driving, cooling and repeating the system seemed full and free of air. 3 weeks later and the level has remained constant.

Other things I have done so far:
  • New discs and pads all round and brake bleed.
  • Removed and capped off the headlight washer motor as the telescopic arms were leaking. I didn't fancy removing the headlights just yet. I might address this problem in the future. (£4 part from B&Q)
  • Bought a new H/K amp off ebay (£25) and fitted as old one was hissing very badly.
  • Bought a post 02 BMW Business headunit (£85) plus Fruity Cables Iphone cable lead (£20) off ebay and fitted. Cable plugs into back of headunit and activates AUX mode. Very simple way to get iPhone playing though car.
  • Changed indicator stalk (£25) as old ones cancel bit wouldn't return into housing so I had a clicking every time I turned wheel back to center This involved removing airbag(poo inducing) and steering wheel. Bought spare off ebay.
  • Cleaned the car thoroughly as best as I could (not a detailer) 3 times inside and out. Almost got rid of all the dog hair, dog sick and glitter glue from the inside.
Things still to do.
  • Replace interior carbon trim bits that are worn. Mainly the drivers door pull which is very scratched and worn and gear selector surround.
  • Get boot storage net. Boot is very big and things like shopping move around alot.
  • Replace rear parcel shelf H/K speaker covers as dog breath seems to have tarnished these.
  • In the future look at the bits of the suspension that can wear such as bushes and arms as I get a noise at certain speeds. Noise occurs only below 30mph and gets worse after breaking and even worse turning at the same time. This isn't a major issue at the moment and will be doing lots of research before getting this job done.
  • The alloys are quiet a mess with chips. Also suffering from quiet a bit of paint peeling on the inside of alloys. I think they can be refurbed. Have no experience of this though so I have no idea what this would cost.
  • A small spot of rust/bobbled paint on the rear panel just below where the boot lid closes, near the rubber sill. Not of the rear bumper. This looks like its there from someone dropping something onto the car putting something into the boot.
  • Other minor scratches in the paint but only small.
  • New number plates.
  • Cup and coin holder from ebay.
The car is very different to the Clio and feels like a nice upgrade. I do really miss the 182 and would love to drive one again.

Last edited:
Lovely mate, welcome to the 330Ci Auto club ;)

Looks great, I really wanted a black one! Just a note on the carbon effect, its quite common for it to be damaged on the drivers side grab due to holding onto it with keys in your hand (I do it!) Not keen on the shark fin, and needs some fresh plates other than that, I love it!

BMW E46 330ci Sport
Lovely mate, welcome to the 330Ci Auto club ;)

Looks great, I really wanted a black one! Just a note on the carbon effect, its quite common for it to be damaged on the drivers side grab due to holding onto it with keys in your hand (I do it!) Not keen on the shark fin, and needs some fresh plates other than that, I love it!

Thanks! A great club to be in.
I have my eye on a few bits on ebay for the carbon trim. Won't be spending loads. Only if I get a good deal.
The shark fin is fitted due to the bluetooth connection apparently. It acts as a signal booster for the phone accourding to some internet sites. It was fitted from the factory and I quiet like the look of it:eek:.

BMW E46 330ci Sport
Bloody hell, seems steep! I don't like the matt chrome on it either, doesn't go with anything else in the cabin. Everything's black in there!

BMW E46 330ci Sport
Bloody hell, seems steep! I don't like the matt chrome on it either, doesn't go with anything else in the cabin. Everything's black in there!

Yeah, is a bit pricey. I think it looks a bit better then the standard leather piece. But then there's nothing wrong with the standard leather one so I'd just be spending 70 odd pounds for fun. My mates e92 coupe has a similar selector but also has aluminium dash inserts so works better. Will have to think about it.

Never above 25mpg
Nice, bit of work to do but will be all the better for it! Must've been one of the first facelifted coupes!

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
What's the iPhone cable thingy? I need to get my AUX socket activated on my X5. Listening to CD's isn't cutting the mustard for me.

BMW E46 330ci Sport
I still love the look of these and was very close to getting a 330 'vert before plumping for the Zed. Good choice.
Thanks. There's something about the E46 coupe shape I love and had to own one. I do like the look of the convertables with the roof down. I thought I'd go for the coupe though, for the added stiffness. I did look at the z4 at one point but were a bit to expensive for me.

Nice, bit of work to do but will be all the better for it! Must've been one of the first face lifted coupes!
The drivers door pull is really bad so will be doing this at some point. Not sure whether to try sourcing original parts or just have my current ones painted. I really like what you have done with your interior.
The manufacturing date of the car is 05/2003. Literally must of been one of the first face lifts.

What's the iPhone cable thingy? I need to get my AUX socket activated on my X5. Listening to CD's isn't cutting the mustard for me.
I purchased this Head unit from eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251220435340?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
And this cable from eBay also: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300853466458?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
The guide for the cable says your head unit must be a post 2002 CD Business with a mode button on the left to work. My car came with a cassette Business head unit which had the mode button but I had already purchased the CD player so I didn't test whether this worked. Very simple install. Take out head unit, plug cable in the right pins. Route cable(in the interior picture of my car you can see my storage compartment open. This is where I routed the cable to. I might move it to where the arm rest is though if I can be bothered.). Refit the headunit. Now when MODE button is pressed an AUX mode comes up as well as CD, Changer and radio. The cable can also charge the phone if you have a 12v iphone USB charger as the cable has a USB port. Sadly none of the controls work to control the iPhone so song skipping must still be done via the phone. Still a nice simply solution.

Leon Cupra 300
Nice car. My 330ci Sport was a facelift on an 03 too. So like yours one of the very first.

Just be careful with capping off headlight washers. They're needed for the MOT as you have xenons. They may or may not check them.

Both mine were leaking on my 335d which had to be replaced at £60 a side! Luckily it's a DIY job.

BMW E46 330ci Sport
Hi guys, quick update.

It seems I have a problem where, when sitting in heavy traffic for any long period of time, the car starts to overheat. Now so far I have been lucky and caught site of the temp needle heading to the red in time to shut the car off. It seems as soon as I get on a bit of open road and air flowing to the front of the car the temp returns to normal and all is well again.

I know that at the age and mileage my car has(108000), the coolant system is maybe getting a bit long in the tooth and could do with certain components being renewed. But I think I may have found a problem. The M54 E46 330i auto in perticular has a two fan system. A mechanical fan between the radiator and the engine, bolted to the water pump, which is turned with the aux belt. And an electric fan which sits in front of the radiator and should operate briefly when starting the car, when the A/C is turned on and to aid in cooling the coolant in certain situations. Such as when Idling in traffic.

Whilst the mechanical fan may be old it seems to be working fine. The electrical fan on the other hand I'm not so sure about. I turned the car on, with the A/C, and the fan showed no signs of life at all. I have checked the fuse which is fine and also the voltage which seems to be there. I tried to move the fan by hand but it seems to be stuck and seized solid. Now my understanding of electric motors is that it should be free to be spun by hand. If anyone on the forum (especially those with an auto e46) could check or confirm my thoughts that the fan should in fact be able to be spun freely by hand that would be a huge help.

I know this is a clio forum and my problem is with a BMW and I'm not a paid member here but this is the most friendly and helpful forum I have been on. Thanks in advance!