ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Not sure which lowering springs to purchase

Renault Clio 1.4
Hi guys,

I'm confused about which lowering springs to buy and fit on my 02 clio 1.4. I understand that coilovers are better, but i can barely afford £60 let alone £600.

Therefore which lowering springs should i buy?

I want to drop it by about 40-50mm, this is because i often need to have people and other weight in the front and back of the car and i don't want the tyres to chaffe. I also want to keep some of the ride comfort as i live in a rural area where roads are not great.
I also have a restricted budget of less than £100 so which ones should i get?

Also...do you guys let your insurance company know that you've upgraded the suspension?

Cheers in advance

First an foremost, Tell you're insurance about EVERY modification you do, otherwise you insurance is void.

If you are tight on money, I'd say save it and spend it on fuel, service, tax etc. You're not going to get anything good for £60, It'll make the ride much worse probably. Only springs I would recommend are Eibach Sportlines, but they are still ~£140.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
if you cant afford to declare your mods to your insurance company then you cant afford to mod your car.

Renault Clio 1.4
Ok cheers for the feedback, allthough as i only spent £750 on the car is there any point in declaring them as my insurance will be sky high as it is, and i won't make a claim even if i crash because the cost of repairing the car would be less than the increase in my renewal due to maing a claim

Milltek'd clio 182
Ok cheers for the feedback, allthough as i only spent £750 on the car is there any point in declaring them as my insurance will be sky high as it is, and i won't make a claim even if i crash because the cost of repairing the car would be less than the increase in my renewal due to maing a claim

totally up to you fella, i was considering not declaring some certain things, but when you have a car that you have spent thousands on then it is wise considering decalring them mods as you wont have any come back. if i was in your situation then im sorry people, i probably wouldnt bother, i hate insurance companies an it doesnt matter what you declare any more, insurers will always niggle out some where or rather. But hey who am i to judge. good luck tho anyway mate,

Renault Clio 1.4
Cheers one in a million, good to see someone can see my point of view, all be it a slightly farfetched one.
So eibach springs the way to go?

Renault Clio 1.4
Fair point Jon, but surely you can see where i'm coming from when i'm only on £30 EMA cos i'm still in full time education and i simply want a car that i can look at and feel a bit of pride in it.
Not trying to make an arguement just wanted some opinions

I'm still in full time education as well. (Well just finished) But I have a job, pay for my insurance, modifications, petrol, tax, servicing etc etc etc.

There's no excuse at all IMO. If you cant afford to declare your modifications, you probably cant even afford to put fuel in your car. Give it a good clean and take some pride in it that way. Make it respectable and a good example, It'll go a lot further than having no insurance and a s**t ride.

Milltek'd clio 182
lol i love this site, purely because everyone takes life so seriously, yeah it makes our insurance sky high, but what doesnt make our insurances sky high? i dont think its people like us that make that big difference, half the time i think they add on and subtract what they like. yeah i declared all me mods on my motor, but then you get these old folks that cant see a thing when driving, hardly pay a penny for insurance, yet they see so many crashes but never cause them lol. i could go on all day, an all i can narrow it down to is its all just a big con. end...

Artic 182FF
If you can't afford the insurance why bother with mods. totally agree with jon

What he said. It has taken me 12 years of driving, building up NCB, working on a career, so eventually i could afford to drive a decent motor. These things take time.

My first car was a £260 Austin Metro that didnt even have a stereo when i got it. My insurance was £700, and that was in 1998. Do you think i liked that?? I was just happy to have some wheels. :)

RS6 C7
shouldnt be too much to declare them really but dont bother with springs its a waste of time & money!, Keep checking ebay for used coilovers, i saw a set of fk ones almost new go about 3 weeks ago and only fetched 130 i think

Clio 1.2+ Laguna 2.0
im in the same position, im in full time education and love my clio! but thing is, not declaring is cheating, its fraudulent, and who really wants to start their motoring life like that! i take pride in my car by buyig small mods that make the difference, i dont need to declare the moulding that ive colour coded with spray paint nor the dashboard plastic trims that ive sprayed!

Take pride in your Clio, but LEGALLY!!

Thankss

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
why not just save for a bit longer and get some raceland coilovers, theyre only about 160 and theyre alright for the money you spend!!

then you can go for the exact height you like!!

Westy. MX5
At your age you should be spending what money you have on birds, booze and generally having a good time. Spending it on your 1st. car is a waste, it's not going to improve it's value ( More like devalue it) and I doubt you'll be doing track days yet. Wait a few years till you have a good job and a car worth modyfying. As for extra insurance costs the above posts are trying to keep you out of trouble. Just look after what you have now, time to play later.