ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Now I need an alarm which works of key fob

The subject of alarms has been talked about a lot on this forum, I have searched thru the old posts and cannot find an answer.

I need an alarm that works off the existing Renault key fob. It does not have to be Thatcham 1 for insurance reasons as I am already insured with no alarm fitted. Is there a list of decent alarms that work off the existing key fob ? Any idea on costs ?

A Toad 850T does the job nicely. I have one of these - its also Cat 1. £279 fitted - ordered via toads websh*te.

Rich

Sextons are getting a quote for a Toad for me but I have also seen Sigma alarms being talked about, are these any good ? What sort of price will I be looking at do you think ?

350z & 16v Maxi

Alarms from Wolf are very well priced and can work off the Renault key, if any of you lot find out where you can get these from could you please let me know as i need to speak to them.

Just spoke to Sextons and they have the Toad upgrade model, 850T2, which is £250 but he said that he had to warn me that they have had problems with the reliability of these alarms ? This will work off the original key fob.

He then offered me another Toad seperate alarm which needs a new fob to activate it, this was the AI606 and that was £289.

Anybody know anything about these alarms and if these problems are justified ?

Any help would be great.

Just been on the phone to another place now and they have offered me a Meta M750/3 for £250, this will upgrade it to a Thatcham 1. Anybody know anything about these ?

If anybody has the Toad 850T then please could you let me know if you have had problems with it and if you rate it or not ?

Cheers.

I HAVE A SIGMA CAT 1 FITTED TO MY CLIO WHICH HAS BEEN NO PROBS AT ALL BUT IT DOESNT WORK WITH THE ORIGINAL KEY FOB AND IVE HAD REAL PROBS TRYING TO GET THE RENAULT ALARM/IMMOBILISER DEACTIVATED WHICH MEANS OTS A PAIN GETTING IN AND OUT WITH ALL THESE BUTTONS! BUT IT DOES STOP FAMILY USING IT AND I CHALLENGE ANY TEA LEAF TO DRIVE IT AWAY!

Hi Daipac,

Glad to see youve finally got ur motor, did you have any probs with SR4Cs?

Renault do an alarm for 300 smakers that runs on the original Key. Else if you want something really smart get the Clifford that Chavy had installed. Ask him if hes still able to get a deal on it, its a nice alarm and has auto window close on it.

Oh and if ur not worried about the Cat 1 bit 4 insurance you can get it to start the car from the key fob before you get into it. How smart

Hi Mav,

S4C.com were very very good indeed, no problems at all and the collection process went very smoothly indeed ! I love the car !

I dont know what to do about an alarm now, I dunno what to do. The price for the Toad seems to be the best as Renault have quoted me around £300 like you say.

I want the alarm to work off the original key fob, too many buttons otherwise, I dont think the Clifford allows this otherwise I would go with them.

desmondo, had you heard any problems before you bought yours ? Does it simply arm itself when you close the doors and disarm when you open them ? All this being done thru the standard Renault Key button ?

Yep its all done through the standard key fob blipper. When you blip the key to lock the car it arms - when you blip to unlock it unarms - its as simple as that. The only time it arms itself is when you blip the key to unlock the car and dont open any doors/boot/bonnet for 30 seconds - this also locks the doors again.

It has loads of features that I dont use - like disabling the interior sensors and the like - but to be honest it just does its job. Although Luckily Ive not had anyone test that out yet!!

Rich

That sounds good to me, I think I will go for that. I was tempted to go without an alarm but I think you have to have one in the present day.

There have been problems with not being able to find a place to put it in the 172 engine bay, any such problems ? Are all the wires hidden ?

Cheers for your help with this des.

Hi Dai,

I was a real stickler for the whole single keyfob way of life for the first month. Give it time and you may just not mind. I would prefer to have a cool alarm that takes an xtra second to undo than one that works of the original key, itsnt as funky and works with a max range of about 2 meters.

If you do go the single fob route though let me know how you get on, it would be good to see how the range and gadgets go.

Mav

Will do Mav, I will most likely be getting the Toad 850T. I just want a system that will do the job as desmondo has described, remote window closure would be good too but it is not essential for me. The alarm is for piece of mind more than anything as I am already insured without it.

Just one more quick question, what is actually involved in the installation of the alarm ? I would imagine that panels need to be removed inside the car and everything to run wires, I dunno why but that bothers me in a brand new car !

Ok, Toade had to take my dash off..and they mounted the siren next to my battery - check out the gallery pics as I think it shows it....

Some guys have the LED next to the gearstick - this is probably easier to do as opposed to the steering cowling...

ak

I think they took the dash of to mount a module somewhere underneath it - all I know is the passenger airbag looked like a bomb!

ak

350z & 16v Maxi

Honestly if you can get them go for Wolf, personally I think one of the best alarm system on the UK market. and cheep. It doesnt have the CAT 1 approval so is cheep as they dont spend money on getting it. That cost alarm companies an absolute fortune and that is what you pay for with Toad and the likes. These alarms have every feature and add on you could possibly imagine.

350z & 16v Maxi

Honestly if you can get them go for Wolf, personally I think one of the best alarm system on the UK market. and cheep. It doesnt have the CAT 1 approval so is cheep as they dont spend money on getting it. That cost alarm companies an absolute fortune and that is what you pay for with Toad and the likes. These alarms have every feature and add on you could possibly imagine.

Ford Fiesta

Renaults cat 1 gold shield s good. Beeps if any door/boot/bonnet left open when locking. And option for keypad to disarm system with no key. No siren visible or wires under bonnet and renault have installed it like it would be on standard cars led to left of gear knob etc. Cant see any of the system apart from this led. Not as much room on 172 but then again on UK 172s you cannot see the siren also?

ff 182

Daipac are you from Swansea well if so try Sextons if not try B&B Audio which are based in Cardiff they are wicked.

Smooth, I am from Swansea yes and I have had the quote for the Toad in Sextons, you know much about them ? Do they do a good job that you know of ?

ff 182

Daipac i had my Cat1 fitted in B&B Audio they are all round the same price for alarms but i would go back there if i needed anything else.

Sextons are good but its up to you.

Ps are u coming to meet and the cruise on the 28th of this month look at meetings section for more info.

Ps if u want the number for B&B Audio its 02920383698