ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Now TV - A detailed review

Haven't seen anything on the forum about this yet. So I've decided to purchase one and right a small review to help you all out. Sorry no pretty pictures yet.

The "Box"
This is a 720p ARM based media box. This box is actually subsidized from the Roku 2, with a cut down motherboard, has no USB/Ethernet chip. Roku also sell the exact same box as the Now TV one called Roku LT. This retails for £39.99 (400% more) however it allows full access to the Roku channel store.

What's in the box?
When you open the box you are welcomed by a quick setup guide. Under this is the Now TV box and the remote (batteries included). Below hides the HDMI cable and the power adaptor.

Hard to use?
No, not at all. Takes about 5 mins to set up including a patch it needs to do. I feel confident I could give this to my Grandma and she would be able to use it. The interface seems to 'flow' really nice.

Apps
One of the features of the Now TV box is the Roku Channel store. This allows you to download channels (more commonly known as apps) that developers have made. You can download apps such as Spotify, iPlayer, Demand 5, Vimeo and Flickr to name a few. The flickr app is brilliant!

Downsides
These only operate at 60Hz which can cause some issue with playback and brittish TV is all done in 50Hz. However, they actually use the same Broadcom chip that's in the Raspberry Pi, which operates at 50Hz so it may be possible in the future.

What would I like to see in the future?
It would be nice to have a BB10, iOS or Android remote control just like XBMC has to make it easier to navigate.

What's that, the small print says you need a Now TV account?
Sneaky ehh? According to Sky, you can only get a Now TV account by having a Sky Movies trial, which will then continue to take money out your account until you cancel. So their "A one off, £9.99 fee" message on the advert isn't strictly correct. But...

There is a way around giving them your card details. Fill out this form, then close the page when it asks for credit card details. You're now set to go.

Final Verdict
It's a shame that it doesn't support full 1080p HD, no YouTube, has no mobile remote control app and that the Roku channel store is limited (meaning no Netflix, but this will never be available unless someone hacks the box as it is the main competitor). However for £9.99 including a free HDMI cable, and shipping you can't turn it down at all. I would recommend it to anyone, especially if you want a cheap alternative to a Smart TV.

I will update this more once I've had more time to play. I hope this helps some of you out.

For those of you that have a Plex media server
You can actually use plex on this device, by sideloading it. Plenty of information of the net so I will not be explaining how to do this. More info: http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/av-d...inute-hack-10-wireless-plex-media-player.html

Last edited:
How timely;

I just signed up to the online only NOW TV - there is an app for iPad/iphone. I was hoping to stream to my AppleTv - especially as I feel like I have watched everything I want to on Netflix

However, airplay and hdmi output are not allowed! Meaning videos must be watched on a laptop/iPad or similar. Gutted

How timely;

I just signed up to the online only NOW TV - there is an app for iPad/iphone. I was hoping to stream to my AppleTv - especially as I feel like I have watched everything I want to on Netflix

However, airplay and hdmi output are not allowed! Meaning videos must be watched on a laptop/iPad or similar. Gutted

Buy one of the box's! Well cheap for what they are

Polo + Micra
yeah but paying £10 for a box that you can watch a couple of things on isn't exactly great is it.

i've just bought a wd play for £40 that sounds like a better option at least it has usb, 1080p, ethernet

yeah but paying £10 for a box that you can watch a couple of things on isn't exactly great is it.

i've just bought a wd play for £40 that sounds like a better option at least it has usb, 1080p, ethernet

I really think you should do more research before coming out with stuff like this.

Are you familiar with plex at all?

Polo + Micra
i can watch things on my wd play from my plex server.

what i'm getting at is that for £10 it's ok but is let down by a few things. i mean 1080p really should be standard.

i think spending a little extra would be my opinion and get something better.

Inferno 182 CUP
How do you get plex on this? - show me a video of it running as a plex client and I'll buy 2 right now!

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Had mine since they first come out when they were free. Been great.

I got mine on 6 months now TV for £15 a month, then £8 for 3 months then full price. It gets used all the time though so epic value for money.

Update

This is a really good update too! Since I wrote this the UI has changed, and is now a lot easier to navigate.

A YouTube app has now appeared too, which works with casting. So you can control the YouTube app from a laptop, tablet or mobile phone.

This really is the bargain of the century for £10!!!

Edit: The picture is pretty good too. Streaming Mighty Car Mods as we speak, really really clear picture to say it's 720p

I bought 2 of these after seeing this thread last year, best £20 I've spent in a long, long time.