ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Number plate has fallen off - legality?

RB 182
My front number plate fell off somewhere today whilst driving through the floods.

I live out in the sticks and the nearest place that could make any new ones up on the same day (Halfords) is 30 miles away from me, where I work.

I need to drive to work tomorrow and for rural roads the police patrol them a lot. If I get pulled can I say I know about it and I'm on way to get some new ones, or even buy some online today and have the receipt with me, or will neither of these stand against the law?

If not I'll just have to claim ignorance and hope they let me carry on driving into town and get some new ones.

On any other route I don't think it would matter as much but the police on this route have the eyes of hawks.

Cheers :)

dan's cast offs.
phone your local plod station today, explain what happened, tell them you are going to get a plate asap and ask them to log the call. all helps if you do get a pull and the copper is in a bit of a grumpy mood.

RB 182
Take the paperwork you need to get new plates with you so you can show you're on the way to buy a new one

Wouldn't that imply that I'm knowingly breaking the law though? The police around here don't seem to like anyone in any form of 'sporty' car. So I fear this wouldn't go down well, although I will have all the docs with me as regardless I will be getting one made up tomorrow.

phone your local plod station today, explain what happened, tell them you are going to get a plate asap and ask them to log the call. all helps if you do get a pull and the copper is in a bit of a grumpy mood.

I travel from Wales to England, and through 3 different towns/cities all with their own local station which is a pain. I suppose I could ring them all! Haha.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I think you're maybe being a bit paranoid about them! If you have all the paperwork and you're heading in the direction of the shop then ask them what the alternative would be. I think you'd have to fail the attitude test spectacularly to get fined. Worst case you'd get a producer and have to go to a mot station to prove you rectified the problem in a given time frame. I speak from experience!

RB 182
Yeah maybe so, it's just I've been pulled and fined on the same route when I had my 3/4 plate on so I may just be expecting the worst.

I suppose as you say, there is nothing else that can be done apart from me not driving the car at all until a replacement one arrived which would be a bit ott.

Cheers :)

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Aye thats a bit of a different scenario.I got pulled for French plates and got a producer. Make sure you have means to pay for the plate with you as well. You'll be reet so long as you don't jump out the car shouting "f**k you, you piggy b******s go catch real criminals". Don't do that.