ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nurburgring trip advice

Titanium 182
Bonjour

I am trying to plan a 4 day trip over to the "The Ring" next year for my 30th.

Obviously rather a few of you guys have been before so am really after some advise. What to see, use ferry or train from the UK, where to eat, costs etc

Any advice is welcome.

Obviously we will need

- Breathalyser kit.
- First aid kit.
- High vis for each passenger.
- Spare bulb kit.
- GB sticker.
- Light deflectors.
- Warner triangle

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Re: Nurburgring trip advise

If in rush, Train.
On budget or want to break up trip, boat

Traditional two food places that everyone goes to are Steak on stone at the Pistonklause and Pizza at Pinochios

I've been millions of times... I still dont have any of that kit! they sell the whole lot for £27 at the Tunnel though from memory.

oh... and this has been covered BILLIONS of times. So why start new thread?!?!? Use the Search Luke...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Get insured, 5K barrier bills are common, and 100K bills for other 3rd parties arent as uncommon as would be nice either.

Other than that, like Porkie said its been covered quite a few times on here TBH

Here is our most recent trip over there:
www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread....rackday-at-ring-1-trackday-at-spa)-Pics-Video

It includes a video of a 8/10ths lap in a good road spec clio 172 for inspiring you too.

I'd avoid the 10/10ths laps though, keep those for UK days where you wont end up 100K out of pocket, lol

172 ph1

train £90
petrol from newcastle there and back with 2 laps on the ring £220

it can be done really cheap just take it easy there and back is all id say as A. you dont want to get caught and fined and B. we found that in the whole trip we saw 2 police cars this year both in france so not worth it! just enjoy it basically its a class trip and one hell of a place...im still smiling away to myself from this years episode and that was a month ago now :)

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes

Yep, you can do it really cheaply or super expensively... like anything in life really!

Suzuki Jimny

I'm sat on the balcony at the hotel an der nordschleife as i'm typing this. My advice is to not attempt two things:

1. Lap in damp conditioms

2. XXL pizza at Pinocchios.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I'm sat on the balcony at the hotel an der nordschleife as i'm typing this. My advice is to not attempt two things:

We've only ever ordered the normal pizza and thats hard enough to finish.

Damp laps are great though, my mrs was having a really good time doing them on the first day we were over there recently, less traffic, slower pace, more time to learn the circuit, whats not to like?
Only a problem if you still try and hammer round in 8 or 9 mins.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

We insured with Keith Michaels PLC

Its 600 for the year, and then an additional 60 quid per day at the ring.

Thats in my mrs name (she is 26 clean license) with IIRC 4 years no claims, with all mods declared (RS2, uprated suspension etc) and with me as a named driver (aged 37, 3 points on license currently)

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy

If you want to spend a bit more, get the overnight hull to Rotterdam ferry. It's brilliant! Have a laugh on the boat, get a decent nights kip and then wake up refreshed for a few hours drive down to Germany. I'll never do it any other way again

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes

If you want to spend a bit more, get the overnight hull to Rotterdam ferry. It's brilliant! Have a laugh on the boat, get a decent nights kip and then wake up refreshed for a few hours drive down to Germany. I'll never do it any other way again

depends where you live.... Hulls futher than the Ring for us southern poofs ;)

I did 2 laps the day after it was closed due to snow covering the track! Was... fun! :eek:

Going again next weekend. Last time, I just got whatever I could (GB, headlamp deflectors, warning triangle and hi vis etc.) and just set off really.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

If in rush, Train.
On budget or want to break up trip, boat

Traditional two food places that everyone goes to are Steak on stone at the Pistonklause and Pizza at Pinochios

We usually go to the Pizzeria in Nurburg village attached to the Motorsport hotel (next to the M-division building) and everyone that's been there and Pinochios prefers the Nurburg one.

I would say decide on the level of accomodation you want based on the time of year and the number of you going. Camping is brilliant from late may onwards, but cold and probably wet if you go earlier, you also need a big group, a marquee and lots of equipment like barbeques and fridges or it's a miserable experience.

I'll be doing hotel and short stay with a small group next time, rather than the 6 days of camping with 20 of us, just for a change more than anything.

oh and I had all the legal requirements except for headlight deflectors last year, so I boshed a bit of electrical tape on there to make it look like I was making the effort.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy

depends where you live.... Hulls futher than the Ring for us southern poofs ;)

Yeah that's true mate, but if ya live in gods country (stoke) or further north, then hull is the best way. Party boat!

LOL. We thought that the standard pizza size at Pinocchios was the XXL one. How wrong we we.

This was the Regular size ones:

7856193752_e2069a6e6b_z.jpg

IMG_1606 by Jon Garrett, on Flickr

It was lovely as well, washed down with a few beers and it was spot on.

Want to go back SO badly :(

We usually go to the Pizzeria in Nurburg village attached to the Motorsport hotel (next to the M-division building) and everyone that's been there and Pinochios prefers the Nurburg one.

I would say decide on the level of accomodation you want based on the time of year and the number of you going. Camping is brilliant from late may onwards, but cold and probably wet if you go earlier, you also need a big group, a marquee and lots of equipment like barbeques and fridges or it's a miserable experience.

I'll be doing hotel and short stay with a small group next time, rather than the 6 days of camping with 20 of us, just for a change more than anything.

oh and I had all the legal requirements except for headlight deflectors last year, so I boshed a bit of electrical tape on there to make it look like I was making the effort.

We went to the motorsport one on the first night. We actually thought it was the same building, but we were wrong. I ended up having steak there, probably the best steak I've ever had. Not to mention we were there during DTM weekend, so there were epic cars driving past all the time, including diablos, corvettes, 1M's etc etc etc

7856226814_f9da5b4804_z.jpg

IMG_1226 by Jon Garrett, on Flickr

Breakdown recovery, you can buy when you purchase EuroTunnel

Spare parts (injector, plugs, leads, coils etc)

Basic tools

Air pump/pressure gauge

Cash/Card (Put bank marker on card)

Make sure you are insured to travel in the countries you are travelling, i,e France, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany (I have to declare this to my insurance company).

Emergency contact numbers for the Ring etc

Know your Road signs, so you know where the unlimited speed limits are (Autobahn).

The first Aid kit has to meet certain German regulations

Fire extinguisher mandatory for driving through Belgium

Driving through EU, look here http://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safety/going_abroad/index_en.htm

Last edited:
I think we paid £40 for 7 days breakdown cover with RAC.

Make sure you write down all your bank details and bank lost and stolen numbers just incase.

We didn't bother with the Fire extinguisher, as we were just driving though for a few hours here and there.

Wish I could afford to take the time off work! :( Bring me a bitburger and a pizza back?
I'll be thinking of you when I'm having mine :D didn't do much in the village when we went, everything was shut! Quite fancy one of those steaks though ^

Make sure you write down all your bank details and bank lost and stolen numbers just incase.

We didn't bother with the Fire extinguisher, as we were just driving though for a few hours here and there.

the RAC wanted a extra £100 due to my Clio being over 10 years old (by 2 months).

Suzuki Jimny
We had pistenklause steak yesterday. Was incredible as usual. Also there's a hot blonde waitress. Mmmm.

We stayed at two;
Sliders guesthouse, cheap, cheerful and Brendan who owns it has lots of stories to tell and lets you come and go as you please. He'll take you out in his mx5 if you ask nicely too ;) Only downside is, he's about 20mins from the 'ring entrance.
http://www.slidersguesthouse.com/

Blaue Ecke, Very very nice place, located in the centre of adenau (famous adenau bridge, on the ring) lots of shops, restaurants, they do a brilliant steak on a stone there, they're also just down the road from pinocchios.
http://www.blaueecke.de/start/

Also, have a look at these; http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/where_to_stay.php

Yeah, just take it easy and try to enjoy it. I was pretty worried the first lap I did, first time on the ring, someone else's car, only transport!

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Go for the experience, not to be a hero. Do a few laps and come off safely, then go and enjoy the surrounding areas and the atmosphere about the place

Audi A5

I take it that cover didn't cover you whilst you were on the ring?

Can you get cover for just on the ring?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
That's the Motorsport hotel Pizzeria in Nurburg. I miss it. I need to do a winter trip....

249993_10150617481410150_2841745_n.jpg