ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

O Connector for Earth Wire

Punto/Clio GTT
anyone got a link to where i can buy a large O connecter to go on the end of my earth cable for my amp? i want it running to a seatbelt mount but instead of wrapping bare wire around the bolt i want to put the wire into a connecter then slot the O onto the bolt and bolt it down, but i dunno the name for it.

also what amp fuse should i use for the live cable? 30? 60?

cheers

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I think you will get the O-ring from a trade/DIY place like screwfix.

For the fuse what wattage does your amp do? RMS that is.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I think you will need a 50 AMP fuse, I am no electrician though. My working out is 500w / 12v = 41.6 amps.

Polo + Micra
what size is your earth cable? and how big do you need the hole?

also your fuse should match your cable size (the fuse protects the cable and not the amp)

Punto/Clio GTT
i just hooked something up on the fly as i just wanted to test it was all working ok, which it was, so i was using some speaker cable for the earth, so im just gonna keep that i think, its semi thick stuff, 8 gauge i think.

i bought one of these http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-swr1223d.html in a custom enclosure (needs carpeting)

and one of these http://www.motorspeed.com/Fli-1000m...-Amp-For-Powering-Su/cat/1/sub/3/product/3740

got them both for £70 which i think was alright

just gotta find someway of mounting my amp now as my sub enclosure barely fits in, nearly touching my parcel shelf. and on one side of the sub is my battery, so think im gonna have to mount it on the other side unless i move the speaker terminals and drill new holes, which i dont really wanna do

also, is there a guide somewhere on how to tune your system? as atm, my sub sounded good, but my front speakers were distorting. i tried messing with the headunit but cant find any balance/front/rear stuff in the menu's?

Last edited:
  Polo + Micra
i doubt very much it's 8 gauge if its speaker cable

it should be the same size as your positive cable

Polo + Micra
also if that's the exact model you have your going to have issues

as the amp and sub are not a good match

A.N. Other
what size is your earth cable? and how big do you need the hole?

also your fuse should match your cable size (the fuse protects the cable and not the amp)
That is incorrect advice.

The power cable must be rated higher than the amplifier requires, but the fuse should be matched as close to the amp's maximum requirement.
In this case, the fuse then protects both cable & amplifier together.

To the OP - you won't have 8AWG speaker cable, it'd be about 8mm[SUP]2[/SUP]. CSA - which would be huge...

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
That is incorrect advice.

The power cable must be rated higher than the amplifier requires, but the fuse should be matched as close to the amp's maximum requirement.
In this case, the fuse then protects both cable & amplifier together.

To the OP - you won't have 8AWG speaker cable, it'd be about 8mm[SUP]2[/SUP]. CSA - which would be huge...

Apparently he is an electrician according to his profile anyway...

I have just wired an amp into my brothers van, I believe we used 9 gauge cable, which is almost as thick as 8 gauge.

Punto/Clio GTT
oh right, no idea where i got 8gauge from then haha

can you shed some light on why the sub would encounter problems with amp?

its a dual 2ohm sub, so am i right in thinking it would run only at 250rms? or would it run the full 500rms at 2ohms?

im a complete novice and no idea what any of that means btw

Polo + Micra
i didn't give bad advice at all

the fuse is there to protect the cable and that's it. the fuse is not anywhere near fast enough to protect any amp

he didn't ask for power cable size as he already has this and was looking for a fuse for it.

also 8 awg is basically 10mm2 and not really that big

yeah dual 2 ohm is going to give you either 1 or 4 ohms. so yeah only 250wRMS out of the amp

Punto/Clio GTT
so would be best to get a new amp eventually thats 500rms 4ohm? or am i right in thinking its better to go for a slightly more powerful amp and turn it down slightly?

any cheap amp reccomendations? just single channel

Polo + Micra
yeah it might be an idea to look for an amp that is able to take a 1 ohm load with an output above 750wRMS

depends on what you call cheap tbh

caraudiosecurity
do ex-demo amps so have a browse there for a deal

Polo + Micra
lol i paid £500 second hand for my jl amp many moons ago :clown:

yeah you can set the gain lower so it doesn't output quite so much

most speakers will take more than their rated power as long as it's a clean signal.

just be careful with your current amp and not ask too much from it at 4 ohms as it wont be the bit that dies.

Punto/Clio GTT
jesus, haha

alright.

next question.

on the back of the amp, i got;

a switch that says bass boost and 3 settings (its on the left setting atm but i dunno what the settings are as they are scratched off, except middle one which says 13db (i think))

a dial SUBSONIC 16hz-80hz (currently set at 1/4 turn)

a dial PHASE 0 degrees - 180 degrees which is set to 0 degrees (off)

a dial LPF 25hz - 250hz (currently set at 1/4 turn)

a dial GAIN MIN - MAX (currently set at a 1/4 turn)

what should i set these at? i have no idea what ANY of them mean.

Polo + Micra
do you know what the port tuning frequency is of your box? as the subsonic should be set just below that

phase should be set so it sounds best i.e in phase with the rest of the speakers

LPF. a good place to start is always 80Hz and go from there

Gain. it's the one that needs to be right.

for gain what i do (might be right might be wrong) is

temporary disconnect sub

get a song you like to listen to but needs to be loud (i.e not quite compared to other songs at same volume on head unit)

set head unit up how you like it to sound(imho as flat as possible with a hpf on the speakers) then turn it up until the speakers start to distort then turn it down 2 (i.e from 24 down to 22)

then reconnect sub with the amp set with above settings but gain on min

then turn head unit on and turn it up to where you had it after you turned it down 2

then SLOWLY turn up the gain until the sub starts to distort then nudge the gain down until it goes and then a little more

and that is a basic way of how to set it up imho

Punto/Clio GTT
awesome, cheers mate

and no idea of port tuning frequency. its a custom made box made to alpine spec

lastly, box needs carpeting. would i just buy the stuff on a roll and glue it with spray adhesive or is there another glue thats better?

Polo + Micra
ah well it could be anything then lol

the carpet it just for looks so whatever to glue it on with what ever works