ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Odd brake pedal travel issue

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
So I changed my discs and pads today.

Firstly I learnt that I shouldn't work on the car tired when I pumped the brakes to undo the front disc grub screws, forgetting I'd already taken the rears off. Fortunately the pistons wound back in OK, and off we went.

Bleeding was an utter pain, OSR and NSF had one hell of an airlock, but this was solved in the end (bleeding with rear level sensor fully activated and ignition on - whether that did it or it was just coincidence, I do not know), over a litre of fluid later and all four corners were bled.

Front pads and discs done, all assembled then for a drive.

I noticed that the pedal lacked feel, and had a lot more travel than usual. However if I pump them up, I get a pedal that feels OK, but as soon as I release and pump again, it's back to how it was.

My first thought was that the pistons on the rear calipers perhaps didn't go back in OK and weren't sealing properly, but there is no evidence of leaking, and given that all four corners were reported as OK (I was pumping, a mate was opening/closing the bleed nipples.), I'm not sure what else to consider?

Is it possible this is just a result of the new brakes needing bedding in - as ridiculous as it sounds, I've never had new discs and pads before - I've simply never kept a car long enough!

Things do seem to be improving, although I guess that could just be bite improving as they bed in - one thing I've noticed is that the problem seems a lot better if I leave the handbrake on a couple of notches.

Any thoughts?

Titanium 182
It sounds like you've still got air in the system, does the pedal go rock solid when you pump it up with the engine and ignition off? I'd try re bleeding the whole system in order N/S/R then O/S/R then N/S/F then O/S/F I would usually pump the pedal at least 20 times on each corner (more if you have air coming out) topping up the level after each one also check the pedal after each one and bleed the hole system with the ignition off hope that helps

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Yes, pedal goes solid if I pump with ignition off. I guess ill try bleeding again but it'll have to be with an ezbleed as I have no helper tomorrow.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
The issue turned out to be a mixture of the new pads not being bed in yet, and a little bit of air in the system. They improved greatly over the weekend, then were a bit better after bleeding yesterday.