ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Odd rear View Mirror LED phenomenon

2004 ph2 172
Has anyone else noticed this?

I started to notice a phenomenon that occurs when watching LED lights in my rear-view mirror.

Things like Traffic lights, the reflected image of some signs and twattish AUDI lights that are LED-based appear to scan up and down, or Bounce (depending on what revs I'm at).

With this being Sweden and sidelights being a legal requirement if your car is moving, I get to see quite a lot of it.

I reckon it's because the LED's are technically strobing, and my mirror is vibrating a little. The effect doesn't occurr in the wing-mirrors at all - They're stuck on a wee bit better. ;)

Just thought it was interesting ... in the same way that it's interesting that the glue on envelopes fluoresces when you open them in the dark. :approve:

.. and I take no responsibility for what happens when you try accelerating away from Audis with your eyes glued on the rear-view mirror - and hit the car in front of you ;)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Noticed a similar thing on TopGear. Looks like the lights are flashing slowly. Guess it's to do with the LED and the camera's frequencies.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
LOL I notice this as well. Don't really understand how it happens but it makes me do a double take every time. Looks odd.

clio 200
Now you say. I have noticed this especially on top gear. Looks like the rear lights are flashing

2004 ph2 172
I'm fairly sure that some LED controllers effectively power them with high frequency currents that are too fast for us to see... and that the frame rate of video cameras (or the vibration frequency of my RV mirror) are slightly different, causing it all to peak or strobe at different rates. I've hunted the web for it though, and can't find any info...

There's something about the LED's on the front of Audis that makes me think "Wanker" whenever I see them. ..... and when they come up behind me and appear to be bouncing around like a chav-tastic vertical "knightrider" mod, I just end up thinking "Annoying Wanker" .... and then I realise I'm in my own little world again, and should probably STFU. :dapprove:

GTD, Lupo
Do you mean like this?

Led lights do pulse a little to regulate intensity. Shutter speed can match and pick it up like above.

Last edited by a moderator:
  2004 ph2 172
Aye... that's the one when it comes to cameras, but look at them when you've got a barely noticable vibration in your rear-view mirror and they sods appear to be bouncing. It's hilarious seeing a speed limit sign in your mirror with it's LED-lit outer red ring and LED numbers bounding up and down with increasing urgency as you accelerate away from it. :D

GTD, Lupo
Think thats just due to small vibrations. I have a led alarm clock in my room and if i roll my Rs with my tongue the LEDs jump all over the place.