ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

oh blinkin' flip!!!!!

dan's cast offs.
decided to tart up under the bonnet while i was doing cam belt on my car, looked at the belt that was already fitted and looked reasonably new but thought might as well change it anyway as the cam cover was coming off to get coated and i wanted to check what cams are in as it's a bit too grunty to be totally standard.

anyway all went well, back together last night, pulled it out of the garage and went for a quick spin and lo and behold lost low down grunt!!

bit of head scratching for five minutes to make sure i hadn't done anything daft and then it dawned on me, locked the crank and cam pulleys up before i stripped it down and at the time i remembered pulling the plugs from the end of the head, looking at the end of the cams and even thinking to myself..."hmmm, they are a bit out of line" D'OH!!!!

dozy git of the week award to me:banghead:

dan's cast offs.
not the end of the world, just drives like a standard one now, low down isn't bad really it's just not as gutsy as it used to be mid range and up. the only thing is i would love to know exactly what the cams were timed to so i could get them timed as they were.

time for a diy advanced timing tool...goes off to look for some bits of old angle iron!!

dan's cast offs.
inlet cam was set advanced before i stripped it down but forgot to check by how much. it's now set up with standard cam timing.

dan's cast offs.
but that would involve buying two new cam end caps, sod that!! lock crank, slacken cam pulley bolt and then stand there for twenty minutes trying to work out how to measure how much i turn the cam by...

as they say...

images

dan's cast offs.

sorry, i could of been a bit clearer.

Slackening the pulley without locking the other end will just spin the cam well out.

Bad idea.

will be locking the cam first, give me an excuse to make something to lock it with that can then be used to measure any changes, spend ages making it, spend loads on it and then discover someone already makes something for doing it!!

dan's cast offs.
not that i know of, but it wouldn't take long to knock one up, few mates near me with cnc/milling machines and i'm not in a panic to get it re set.

dan's cast offs.
think there is a thread on here with both horse shoes on and someone even worked out the angles on them?

You'll probably find if was actually someone who had done the belt incorrectly and the cams were out just by error. Vikki's new one she had was that far out I used a group N tool to lock it all up. IMO felt flat as f**k before hand.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Yes where did the op goto? looks a simple enough thing to knock up but what do I know ;)

172, Tiguan
The group N angles have been posted before, you'll have to do a decent search though I guess.

Proper group N retards the exhaust cam slightly as well, I think it's 4 degrees. Inlet is about 7, but don't quote me on that, I'm not 100% sure.

This assumes you've got standard cams as well.

dan's cast offs.
Yes where did the op goto? looks a simple enough thing to knock up but what do I know ;)

been tidying the living room, yeah i know how to live it up!!

that was the thread i was thinking of, will look at getting something made up over the next couple of weeks. got an idea for something to fit into both cam openings with a hole in the centre for a lever to fit in and key into the end of the cam so you can dial each cam to whatever you want it set to. just need to work out how big the outer would need to be so it could be marked in single degree increments that could be seen easily.

hope that makes sense, if it doesn't i know what i mean anyway.

dan's cast offs.
look busy;)

do a bit of blasting and polishing, some carb rebuilds and look after a few cars and bikes for people i know. try not to be too busy though so i can play with my own stuff but got far to many projects on the go at the moment!!

dan's cast offs.
far to busy at the moment though and not enough money:( was meant to be out doing 200 miles round wales today on the bike but was bloody skint:banghead: