ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oh! I’ve Just Driven A Cup!

Oh dear!...my 6 week old 172 is in having its air-con sorted out (it works a little bit, some days) and they need it for 48 hours...in the mean time they have given me a nice blue Cup with 1500 miles on it to play with.

"The cars 80 kilos lighter Sir so is a bit nippier" the salesman said.....

Yeah whatever because bloody hell this is one totally differnt vehicle! and Im left wishing like heck I hadnt chosen a new 172!...do 172s have a lead lined interior?...80 kilos?...more like 180 kilos!

Pick up is WAAAAY quicker and more aggressive the car feels much faster and response from the fast pedal is immediately felt...

Damn damn damn!!!...I picked the wrong car to buy!

~Wheelspins off in a huff~ :(

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Really, I didnt notice as much as a difference as that.. maybe I should arrange another test drive of the Cup ?

When I test drove it the first time, I certainly thought it handled a bit better but powerwise I thought it to be the same.

Clio v6

Was it that much faster ?

or was you chewing Bubble Gum ;) ( bit of a greyarea that one LOL )

Lee

BMW M2C

I drove someone elses 172 most the weekend and that felt totally different to mine in some ways. Its Renault and there inconsistent build that makes them feel so different.

I also drove y0z2as Cup a fair bit (100 miles or so) a few weeks ago and cant see what Cup owners are going on about. The differences arent that big.

Ive lined up with a few 172s going up Kesselschen and found that the Ragnotti pulls away cleanly from them. That would be uphill from about 100km/hr to 180km/hr or so.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by dash on 08 December 2003
or was you chewing Bubble Gum ;) ( bit of a greyarea that one LOL )

LOL @ dash.

Ye.. that stuff can put on a whole different perspective.

Well its one area that isnt grey!..( :sleep: ) maybe I just have a slow 172 but me thinks this cup flies in comparison...even the noise is way more tasty!..it must have a different ECU right?!

anyway they can take their time fixing the A/C...this car is much more fun to drive!

Yeah, great arent they!? What the 172 should have been all along. I heard a rumour that the CUPS have maybe been getting the 182 engine tweaks aswell at the factory.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by D-CUP on 08 December 2003

I heard a rumour that the CUPS have maybe been getting the 182 engine tweaks aswell at the factory.
You heard wrong then...

Driven my brothers cup plenty of times, feels no different at all to my mk2 cliosport, you more than likely have a dud mk2 cliosport, as I have beaten a few mk2s lately.

As said on this post, a lot depends on if you have a dud 172 or not. For example, here in Dusseldorf the other day, I raced a silver mk2 172 sport and totally walloped it ( about 4 car lengths in front by 180kph , or limiter in 4th ) and I must say I was shocked, so now I believe that there are big differences between mk2 172s ( given there is virtually none between my brothers cup and my mk2 ). By the way performance does increase noticably after you have about 20 - 30,000 kms on the tachometer, below this performance does seem sluggish by comparison, so your mk2 will be faster a year or so from now.

Bye Bye

Quote: Originally posted by canfordcliffs on 08 December 2003

Oh dear!...my 6 week old 172 is in having its air-con sorted out (it works a little bit, some days) and they need it for 48 hours...in the mean time they have given me a nice blue Cup with 1500 miles on it to play with.

"The cars 80 kilos lighter Sir so is a bit nippier" the salesman said.....

Yeah whatever because bloody hell this is one totally differnt vehicle! and Im left wishing like heck I hadnt chosen a new 172!...do 172s have a lead lined interior?...80 kilos?...more like 180 kilos!

Pick up is WAAAAY quicker and more aggressive the car feels much faster and response from the fast pedal is immediately felt...

Damn damn damn!!!...I picked the wrong car to buy!

~Wheelspins off in a huff~ :(

AAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEN!

I have dabbled with a few 172s and cups and i have found the cups to be more of a challenge....my opinion is finalised

Your clio is 6 weeks old... how many miles has it done? Its probably not proparly loosened up yet - give it more time!

Before I bought my 172, I drove both cars, to be honest the cup felt a bit livelier, not much, but a bit. I think its because the noise levels are higher. Ive had all manner of sports car and a few tenths of a second in a straight line is s*d all. If you’re worried about speed buy something like my last car, a 3.0 Mitsubishi GTO.

Mine only has 750 miles on it and its getting faster every time I drive it, my advise is open it up and use the revs. Sounds like theres something wrong with yours cos mine fly’s, torque steers like a bit*h.

Oh and I didn’t buy the cup cos the interior was just plain boring, each to their own.

it must be the fact that all of them, whether they are 172s or Cups can be so different, we have a Mk1 172 and a Cup, and the 172 holds its own against a fair few others, so it isnt a "slow" one, but the Cup was always faster, much more instant pick up, as CanfordCliffs says!

My Cup has comparative instant pick up and feels really sharp when I put my foot down. Quite different from my 306 Rallye that only seemed to come alive when it hit 4 - 5000 rev power band, though the stats for the 306 Rallye are still impressive ( 0 - 60 in 6.9 seconds compared to 6.5 with the Cup ) . The Cup feels so much faster and pulls and pulls and pulls all the way to the red line in every gear. Bear in mind my Rallye used to keep up with standard 172s with ease. I think we are coming to a conclusion here :)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Rallye-King on 08 December 2003

My Cup has comparative instant pick up and feels really sharp when I put my foot down. Quite different from my 306 Rallye that only seemed to come alive when it hit 4 - 5000 rev power band, though the stats for the 306 Rallye are still impressive ( 0 - 60 in 6.9 seconds compared to 6.5 with the Cup ) . The Cup feels so much faster and pulls and pulls and pulls all the way to the red line in every gear. Bear in mind my Rallye used to keep up with standard 172s with ease. I think we are coming to a conclusion here :)
Been out in my old 306 Rallye tonight actually...

First time in months now and its currently kicking out 173bhp @ wheels, so is a quick car!

However, when I took him out for a blast in mine he immediately said the Clio "feels" much quicker, but in reality they are probably pretty similar.

Anyone want to let me have a go in their Cup? Cuppy? Youre local arent you? Ill do you a swap for a go in my mk1!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 09 December 2003

Anyone want to let me have a go in their Cup? Cuppy? Youre local arent you? Ill do you a swap for a go in my mk1!
I was actually gonna suggest this on Saturday...

15k miles is the benchmark for a fully loosened engine.

my last car was a GTR33 Skyline, and to be honest it only felt very marginally quicker than the Cup, if any. probably because of the size and weight of it.

most people cant distinguish a second or so in straight line speed, between one car or another. you need to go from something say 6.5 o-60 to 4.5 to really notice it.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by malcup on 09 December 2003

15k miles is the benchmark for a fully loosened engine.
Yeah, mines only on about 4.5k miles from new, hence still tight as fook and I cant wait to get more miles on there to loosen it up...

only on 3000 myself and would like to get miles on it too, might need to drive down to hillpower soon and kill 2 birds with one stone;)

Ryhs Ive lost your number but you are more than welcome to have a blast in mine as long as youll give it back when youve finished. As youll want one that Im sure of.

Hill Power Mk1 or not youll want a mondial blue baby!;)

CTR EK9 turbo

Dare i say i really like the look of the CUPS in fact id admit they look the best of the bunch. Id love a go in one. Just to compare also.

A friend had a Pulsar and removed the A/C, he said that made a big difference......

I may go and get a test toast in one somewhere. Just to see what all the fuss is about. . . . . in my opinion, is the best of the 172s. If theyd been available at the time of me buying my mk.1 id have bought a CUP....