ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil – You get what you pay for!

Costs of synthetics vary considerably. The most expensive are the “Ester” types originally only used in jet engines. These cost 6 to 10 times more than high quality mineral oils.

The cheapest synthetics are not really synthetic at all, they are dug out of the ground and not manmade. These are in fact specially refined light viscosity mineral oils known as “hydrocracked” oils.

“Hydrocracked” oils have some advantages over their equivalent mineral oils, particularly in lower viscosity motor oils such as 5w-30 and 5w-40 and they cost about 1.5 times more than good quality mineral fractions. This is the “synthetic” which is always used in cheap oils that are labelled “synthetic”.

So, why are these special mineral oils called “synthetic”?

Well, it all came about from a legal battle that took place in the USA more than ten years ago. Sound reasons (including evidence from a Nobel Prize winning chemist) were disregarded and the final ruling was that certain mineral bases that had undergone extra chemical treatments could be called “synthetic”.

Needless to say, the marketing executives wet their knickers with pure delight! They realised that this meant, and still does, that the critical buzz-word “synthetic” could be printed on a can of cheap oil provided that the contents included some “hydrocracked” mineral oil, at a cost of quite literally a few pence.

So, the chemistry of “synthetics” is complex and so is the politics. The economics are very simple though.

If you like the look of a smart well-marketed can with “synthetic” printed on it, fair enough, it will not cost you a lot; and now you know why this is the case, it’s really only a highly processed mineral oil.

But, if you drive a high performance or modified car, and you intend to keep it for several years, and maybe do the odd “track day” or “1/4 mile”, then you need a genuine Ester/PAO (Poly Alpha Olefin) synthetic oil.

These oils cost more money to buy, because they cost a lot more money to make.

Very simply, you always get what you pay for, cheap oils contain cheap ingredients, what did you expect!

Renault Clio 1.5 DCI
Is Shell Helix Ultra a genuine Ester/PAO (Poly Alpha Olefin) synthetic oil ???

can you give some examples of which are high performance oils please mate, mine like a good drink of the stuff lol

Sure,

Silkolene Pro S 5w-40 = ester/pao
Motul 300v 5w-40 = ester/pao
Redline 5w-40 = ester/pao
Mobil 1 0w-40 = pao
Castrol Edge Sport 0w-40 = pao
Amsoil Synthetic = pao
Fuchs Supersyn 5w-40 = pao

Just to name a few.

Cheers

Guy.

Is Shell Helix Ultra a genuine Ester/PAO (Poly Alpha Olefin) synthetic oil ???

Niether... it is a hydrocracked mineral oil, in short the better half of a semi synthetic but in the true sense of the word it is not synthetic at all.

Cheers

Guy.

cup 182 mit stripes
OILMAN sold me Fuchs Silkolene . It says on the container ''Ester synthetic oil for high performance engines'' Clio loves it allmost as much as I love San Miguel.

RSC 182 Cup
So what's the easiest way to tell which oils are the "fake" synthetics (apart from guessing by the price)? It's very hard to find info on what goes into them.

I'm guessing Elf Excellium SM 5W40 is a fake synthetic going by the price?

Any chance of a more comprehensive list of common fakes?

As it says in the article, the real thing is far more expensive to make.

Price is the real difference.

There are some good ones mentioned above, not exhaustive but some to be going on with.

If your car is standard and used on the road, the real thing is better but not as necessary as when you modify or track the car.

Cheers
Simon

Fiesta ST3
mine has just had 5 litres of the finest Silkolene Pro S 5w-40
purchased from the oilman (opie)orderd 6 litres saturday and it arrived tuesday but with the litre bottle missing,quick phone call to a nice bloke called guy and all was sorted. anc tried to deliver it this morning but i was out so should get it in the morning:approve: filter and sump washer from the stealers as they use purflux filters..