ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil advice and recommendations here

Flooky

ClioSport Club Member
  172 CUP, D23 Navara
Bit of advice really.. A friend has 6 litres of Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5W/40 (ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4.

Even though Castrol say this is Diesel oil, is it also suitable for a 172 Cup? as I believe (A3) is petrol and (B3) for diesel?

I would look at buying from you guys next time but he is offering me this for free so I would not want to turn it down!

Cheers, Lee

182 Cup, Octavia VRS Tdi
Probably a bit overkill for a road car but it is a good oil. The Motul 8100 5w-40 would be more suited for road use and is a fully synthetic.

Also consider Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL 5w-40

Take a look in the members section of our website for the best prices

Cheers
Simon

Filters, we stock Purolator, good filters.

Would the Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL 5w-40 suite a 2005 182 with panel filter and cat back exhaust? I see you have a good offer on that at the minute?

Yes, it's fine, unless you track it on a regular basis as it will break down fairly quickly with track use. You're better off using something like Pro S then as it won't need to be changed as often and works out just as cheap in the end.

Cheers

Tim

DMS

A thirsty 172
Which oil would you recommend the most for a low comp 172 turbo?
I've got some Motul 300v 5w40 to put in it when I do an oil change at the weekend but it's worth knowing for next time.
I need something that breaks down as little as possible at high temperatures because I seem to use quite a lot of oil when I use Castrol / Total / Carlube stuff.

Last edited:
  Maybe a 172 Cup..
Oil and gearbox oil for the following please:

Phase 1 172,2000 'x' few mods , exhaust, filter and remap.
Fast road use only.
116k miles.

Cheers in advance, Kev......

ps. can you recommend oil for wifes car as well.

Golf 1.8 T. 2001 'Y' remapped to 205bhp.
Road use only.
100k miles.
Currently using Quantum Synta Gold (now Platinum I think)

Last edited:
Which oil would you recommend the most for a low comp 172 turbo?
I've got some Motul 300v 5w40 to put in it when I do an oil change at the weekend but it's worth knowing for next time.
I need something that breaks down as little as possible at high temperatures because I seem to use quite a lot of oil when I use Castrol / Total / Carlube stuff.

300V is pretty much as good as oil gets and will be a better oil than the others you mention. Not sure what Castrol you mean, but the only ones I'd use in a 172 are the Edge TD5w-40 and Edge Sport 0w-40. Some Total oils are ok, but Carlube are pretty basic, average at best. 300V is a much better oil than even the castrol edge, so you should get less usage

Oil and gearbox oil for the following please:

Phase 1 172,2000 'x' few mods , exhaust, filter and remap.
Fast road use only.
116k miles.

Cheers in advance, Kev......

ps. can you recommend oil for wifes car as well.

Golf 1.8 T. 2001 'Y' remapped to 205bhp.
Road use only.
100k miles.
Currently using Quantum Synta Gold (now Platinum I think)

I'd use a 5w-40 in both of them

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Gulf Formula G, Fuchs Supersyn and Mobil Synt S are good, cheaper alternatives.

DMS

A thirsty 172
300V is pretty much as good as oil gets and will be a better oil than the others you mention. Not sure what Castrol you mean, but the only ones I'd use in a 172 are the Edge TD5w-40 and Edge Sport 0w-40. Some Total oils are ok, but Carlube are pretty basic, average at best. 300V is a much better oil than even the castrol edge, so you should get less usage

Been using GTD Magnatec 5w40 the last 2 oil changes I've done because it's all the auto factors had in stock at the time.
So do you think the 300v will last longer in the car due to not breaking down as much? Obviously my engine gets very hot and seems to use quite a lot of oil when it's driven hard. I want to prevent or at least minimise this so that I don't have to keep topping it up every 5 minutes.

Apparently 0w40 is TOO thin?

The 0w-40 isn't too thin, it's only thinner than a 5w-40 when it's cold. When it's hot it's the same viscosity.

When you say it's using a lot, how much do you mean (a litre per 1000 miles is annoying but acceptable)? The 300v should be better than the Magnatec as the Magnatec is a pretty basic synthetic, right at the bottom of the scale and and the 300V is at the top.

Cheers

Tim

DMS

A thirsty 172
It's using about half a litre every 2-3 weeks. I do roughly 150 miles a week on average. It doesn't seem to use any when driven gently, just when I'm on the boost all the time :eek:

182 Cup, Octavia VRS Tdi
Yes, it's fine, unless you track it on a regular basis as it will break down fairly quickly with track use. You're better off using something like Pro S then as it won't need to be changed as often and works out just as cheap in the end.

Cheers

Tim

Thanks Tim! Its the wifes car so I am sure it will be fine.

Fabia VRS Special Ed
I keep trying your website mate using my details, every time it comes back as a Campus Sport :(

My car is:

Make: Renault
Model: Clio
Year: 2001/2002 (51)
Engine size/type: 1.2 16v
Mileage: 81k

Used for around town 99% of the time.

Don't want to spend a lot of money but want something that will enhance performence.

Cheers
Liam

Hi Liam

I would use a 5w-40 synthetic and you will find those through the link below.

Out of those, the best ones are the Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Gulf Formula G, Fuchs Supersyn and Mobil Synt S are good, cheaper alternatives. They won't increase performance, but will give better protection.

Cheers

Tim

Looking for 182
Hi all,

Any help is appreciated on this one. I need to know what oil I should use (brand and type) and also if I change the oil type (ie. start using 5w40 instead of 0w40) do I need to do an oil change?

My car
Renaultsport
Clio 182 (with cup packs)
2004 (04 Plate)
2.0 Petrol
No mods
52k miles

My use
Road use only. I drive 36 miles commute every day which is a mix between country roads and town driving, and I drive every day at weekends between 50-100 miles at a guess.

Current oil
Max oil temp, no idea, it never goes above halfway on the gauge on the dash.
Current oil used - Previous owner tells me it currently has Mobil 1 0W40.

Thanks

Th eMobil 1 0w-40 is fine if you aare happy with it, although have a look at the 5w-40 in my previous post as there are some good choices there

Looking for 182
Th eMobil 1 0w-40 is fine if you aare happy with it, although have a look at the 5w-40 in my previous post as there are some good choices there

Thank you. I don't know whether I am happy with the oil or not, I don't know enough to be able to judge an oil unfortunately.

I'll just go with what I already have I think.

Cheers

Clio 172 ph1 with ITB's
Oil and box oil advice for the following please:

Phase 1 172, 2000 Jenvey Itb's, full exhaust system and an omex 600 mapped to suit
Fast road use only.
108k miles.

Cheers
Cat

CLIO PH1 172
My car
Renaultsport
Clio 172 ph1
2.0 Petrol
No mods
94k miles

My use
Road use only. do about 600 miles a month ?

thanks

I would use a 5w-40 synthetic and you will find those through the link below.

Out of those, the best ones are the Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Gulf Formula G, Fuchs Supersyn and Mobil Synt S are good, cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim

172 cup
hello, i've just been reading through your thread and still not sure what gearbox oil to get for my 172 cup?

it has done 120k now so abit high really. i've seen you recommend
75w 90 and 75w 80. whats the difference between the 2? and which would you recommend for my high milege 172 cup?

many thanks Rolando

Black Clio GT
2009 clio gt
1600 128hp
only engine mod is a panel filter.

renault say service evey two years or 20k but as i drive it pretty hard i change the oil every 6 months.

guessing just any old 5w40 fully synthetic with an oe filter is ok?? or is there a particlar one you would used as its gets some regular abuse. any advise for gear box oil too as cold starts/driving when cold is a bit jerky at times. any further advice with with your choice would also be helpfull.

cheers.

It just comes down to how good an oil you want. If you want the best protection, have a look at the top end ester based oils, or if you want a good, cheaper option, there are the mid range synthetics.

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Gulf Formula G, Fuchs Supersyn and Mobil Synt S are good, cheaper alternatives.

The gearbox takes a MTF, and as it gets driven hard, go for the Redline MTL, Amsoil MTF or Fuchs Sintofluid 75w-90.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-670-75w-80-75w-85-mtfs.aspx

Cheers

Tim

Clio 172
Hey oilman

I have had a pm from you before with the info i needed regarding oil for my 172 but i have deleted it by mistake so sorry for asking the same questions if i do.

I am about to put my car in for a service its at 58k and i am wondering how much of each oil i will need to buy.

I know that engine oil is 5w 40 and i changed this in march but i cant remember how much i bought from you guys but do know i went for the fuchs supersyn. Do you think i should change it again? and also how much would i need?

With regards to gearbox oil i am not sure whether its 75w 90, 75w 80 or 75w 85 and i am also not sure how much i would need either because i will be getting braided hoses put on so i assume the system will need flushed out?

Brake fluid after doing a search i think i will need around 2 litres but i am not a 100% certain so could you tell me for sure what i will need and how much?

Thanks again and sorry if i have asked questons that have been answered but i just want to make sure i get everything as i will be putting it into a local garage so want to have the right oil to give them so they just dont stick any old s**t in.

Thanks
steven

Hi Steven

The engine oil will be fine after just a few months.

You*need an MTF for the gearbox and I would go with the Redline MTL, Amsoil MTF or Fuchs Sintofluid. The Millers EP 75w-80 is a good cheaper alternative

3 litres should cover it.

It's up to you for the brake fluid, if you want the best, go for something like the Motul RBF600, Millers 300 Plus, or Fuchs Pro Race, otherwise the Castrol Response, Motul DOT5.1 or one of the DOT4. Two litres will be more than enough.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-450-brake-fluid.aspx

Cheers

Tim

Clio 172
Hi Steven

The engine oil will be fine after just a few months.

You*need an MTF for the gearbox and I would go with the Redline MTL, Amsoil MTF or Fuchs Sintofluid. The Millers EP 75w-80 is a good cheaper alternative

3 litres should cover it.

It's up to you for the brake fluid, if you want the best, go for something like the Motul RBF600, Millers 300 Plus, or Fuchs Pro Race, otherwise the Castrol Response, Motul DOT5.1 or one of the DOT4. Two litres will be more than enough.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-450-brake-fluid.aspx

Cheers

Tim

Thanks mate

Just ordered 5 litres of the millers ep and 2 litres of the castrol response super dot 4.

Felt a bit of a tight ass going for the millers but it seemed like good value for 5 litres.

Thanks again for the advice;)
steven

Personally I wouldn't use it, it's pretty basic stuff.

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Gulf Formula G, Fuchs Supersyn and Mobil Synt S are good, cheaper alternatives. They are all better oils than the Carlube stuff.

Here you go, from the Fuchs description

Fuchs Titan Supersyn is a high performance, year round, Fully Synthetic SAE 5W/40 fuel economy engine oil.

For normally aspirated and turbocharged car and van petrol and diesel engines. Miscible with all mineral oil and synthetic based engine oils.

No flushing is therefore necessary.

ACEA A3, B3, B4
API SM/CF

BMW Special Approval
Porsche Special Approval
VW 505 00 and 502 00
Mercedes-Benz 229.3
Registered with MG Rover