ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil advice and recommendations here

I get asked many questions about oil so I thought a thread here for all oil related questions would be a good idea and build into a FAQ or reference point for others.

So, put your oil questions here but please give the following information if you would like a recommendation:

Make
Model
Year
Engine size/type

Any mods

Type of use (road/track)

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used)

What do you want a recommendation for? Engine, Gearbox etc?

I hope this will help and become a useful thread

Regards
Simon

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Renault
Clio
1.4 8v

No engine mods
Road use
Currently just swapped to 1ow40 but Renault say 15w40 :S

Id like a reccommendation for both the engine and gearbox please Simon

Thanks very much, should be a useful thread :)

John

For the Clio we would suggest either a 10w-40 semi synthetic or a 5w-40 full synthetic.

The 15w-40 is a basic mineral oil and is the minimum spec oil to be used.

Cheers

Simon.

Clio Williams 2
2.0 with a lot of tunning bits.
Track use
I run 10-60 Millers and its great 2 bar on track at 120 degrees and never seem to break down unlike other 10-40 which ran 1 bar or less on track at 125degrees and had to be changed ever time.

For gerbox oil I use Miller 75/90 and I'm impressed not as good as stock (compaired to my dci which has the same gearbox) when cold but smoother when warmed up

Also Clio diesel 65hp (the least powerful) I use standard 10-40 Renault oil chnage it ever 9k for normal use or ever few track days if I can. Much better with an extra oil chnage at 9k rarther than leaving till 18k and a few others have agreed with me.
Cars used on track a lot.

clio

modded approx 200bhp
road use
Done 18000 miles

is it worth changing the gearbox oil?

if yes what would you recommend?

Thanks
Mark

was 172 Cup now 197
172 cup - 2003
25,000 miles
No mods

was thinking about using Motul 300 V 5W40? Is it any good??

Also is there a particular filter you would recommend?

Thanks in advance

Tom :D

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
oilman said:
For the Clio we would suggest either a 10w-40 semi synthetic or a 5w-40 full synthetic.

The 15w-40 is a basic mineral oil and is the minimum spec oil to be used.

Cheers

Simon.

Cool, cheers, what brands should I use/avoid? Any ideas about the gearbox oil, its due a change now I reckon.

Lots of Alfas
Renault
Clio
1.2 8V

Standard engine on 80k miles

Road use, short and long journeys

Current oil changed every 8k miles using Duckhams fully synthetic 15W 40 as per haynes manual.

Recommendation for engine?

MarkM said:
clio

modded approx 200bhp
road use
Done 18000 miles

is it worth changing the gearbox oil?

if yes what would you recommend?

Thanks
Mark

Use a 5w-40 synthetic in the engine and I would upgrade the gearbox oil to a 75w-90 synthetic as you are running 200bhp.

Silkolene Pro S 5w-40
Silkolene Syn 5 75w-90

Cheers
Simon

Tommcc said:
172 cup - 2003
25,000 miles
No mods

was thinking about using Motul 300 V 5W40? Is it any good??

Also is there a particular filter you would recommend?

Thanks in advance

Tom :D

Probably a bit overkill for a road car but it is a good oil. The Motul 8100 5w-40 would be more suited for road use and is a fully synthetic.

Also consider Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL 5w-40

Take a look in the members section of our website for the best prices

Cheers
Simon

Filters, we stock Purolator, good filters.

davebem said:
Renault
Clio
1.2 8V

Standard engine on 80k miles

Road use, short and long journeys

Current oil changed every 8k miles using Duckhams fully synthetic 15W 40 as per haynes manual.

Recommendation for engine?

10w-40 or 5w-40 rather than 15w-40 for better cold start and lower wear when cold.

Cheers
Simon

edde said:
Clio Williams 2
2.0 with a lot of tunning bits.
Track use
I run 10-60 Millers and its great 2 bar on track at 120 degrees and never seem to break down unlike other 10-40 which ran 1 bar or less on track at 125degrees and had to be changed ever time.

For gerbox oil I use Miller 75/90 and I'm impressed not as good as stock (compaired to my dci which has the same gearbox) when cold but smoother when warmed up

Also Clio diesel 65hp (the least powerful) I use standard 10-40 Renault oil chnage it ever 9k for normal use or ever few track days if I can. Much better with an extra oil chnage at 9k rarther than leaving till 18k and a few others have agreed with me.
Cars used on track a lot.

I'm not sure if this is a request for a recommendation but my concern is the use of an sae 60 when you seem to be a track addict.

Low drag and maximum power at the wheels being the objective, an sae 60 is the wrong choice. I certainly would not go higher than a 10w-50 or 15w-50 but the best option would be an out and out race 5w-40 or 10w-40 to maximise the power.

I do agree that a fully synthetic (ester based) race 75w-90 is the way to go for the box for thermal stability and low viscous drag.

Cheers
Simon

Clio 172 ph2 + 990SM
Hey mate, can you recommend me some engine and gearbox oil?

Clio 172 ph2
2.0ltr (F4R)

Only mod at moment is IK, but very shortly going for ecu, manifold porting and decat.

Usage is fast road.

I think its probably got 10w40 atm :/

oh, and how much do i need?

Thanks!

Hi,

For the engine we recomend a good quality 5w-40 full synthetic all year round use, the semi synthetic is ok but really a cost option.

For the gearbox, a good 75w-90, again synthetic being the top option.

You will need 4.8ltr for the engine and I do not have the gearbox capacity listed.

Have a look at Silkolene and Motul.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk

Cheers

Guy.

193 mk2
oilman, which is better out of the motul 300 75w90 gearbox oil or the silkoline pro srg 75 ???

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
Make Renault
Model Clio
Year 1995
Engine size/type 1.8 RSI

Make Renault
Model Clio
Year 2003
Engine size/type 2.0 Cup

nothing, blown up!
wow wat a useful chap

clio
1.2 5dr grande 16v
kn induction.
looking to change motor oil

10w-40 semi synthetic, or as the top quality option a 5w-40 full synthetic.

Change a semi ever 5k or so and the fully up to 10k or so.

Cheers

Guy.

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
oilman said:
5w-40 full synthetic for both of them.

Brand wise, Silkolene and Motul are tops.

Cheers

Guy.

Ah, your back ;). Cheers for the advice my man. Need some in a few thousand miles, will check back.

Saxo VTS
Hey Oilman.

Make Renault
Model Clio
Year 1993
Engine size/type 1.8 16v

I currently use Comma Lite 10-40W SemiSynthetic and change the oil about every 3k since I've owned her. I was recommended the oil by a few people on Retro Renault so assume it's a good choice.

I do find that in traffic and after about 30 minutes of nomral driving the pressure reads quite low.

Also it sounds like a tractor for the first minute or so from cold.

Any recommendations?

Cheers.

FincH said:
Hey Oilman.

Make Renault
Model Clio
Year 1993
Engine size/type 1.8 16v

I currently use Comma Lite 10-40W SemiSynthetic and change the oil about every 3k since I've owned her. I was recommended the oil by a few people on Retro Renault so assume it's a good choice.

I do find that in traffic and after about 30 minutes of nomral driving the pressure reads quite low.

Also it sounds like a tractor for the first minute or so from cold.

Any recommendations?

Cheers.

Couple of things you can try.

The noise from cold is poor circulation, try using a 5w-40 fully synthetic as it will get round the engine quicker on start up.

The drop in pressure is the oil dropping out of grade and thinning if you like, again try a 5w-40 full synthetic as they are much more temp stable.

Cheers

Guy.

Black Mk2 172
Renault clio 172 mk2 03' model
19000k miles

Ive just bought some valvoline 5w-40 'syn power' for my engine oil change, just wondering if this is a decent oil to use?

We currently have an offer on, this is a good price.

If you want a group buy on the forum, let me know and I will see if I can start one.

Cheers

Guy.

Fiesta ST
Hope I'm not too late in getting some advice on oil Simon!

1995 Clio RT 1.4 8v (currently on 92k miles)

She's very noisy when first started, sounds like pistion slap imo, but a bit tappety as well however once warmed up she's fine.

Currently using Halfords Fully Synthetic 5w-40 oil in her. I have been told though that this is too thin? Is that correct? What oil would you recommend? Also, can I add some top-end treatment to quieten her down?

Many Thanks!!

Jim_RT said:
Hope I'm not too late in getting some advice on oil Simon!

1995 Clio RT 1.4 8v (currently on 92k miles)

She's very noisy when first started, sounds like pistion slap imo, but a bit tappety as well however once warmed up she's fine.

Currently using Halfords Fully Synthetic 5w-40 oil in her. I have been told though that this is too thin? Is that correct? What oil would you recommend? Also, can I add some top-end treatment to quieten her down?

Many Thanks!!

5w-40 is ideal grade for the car, its not too thin at all. Infact you should find it listed in the handbook.

The Halfords own is not a true synthetic but a hydrocracked mineral oil, just moving to a genuine synthetic should yield an improvement.

Have a look at the Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL 5w-40.

Cheers

Guy.

K20 EG Hatch
I have been using silkolene pro s 5w 40 fully synthetic in my 182, always bought it from you and never had any problems. This is still the best stuff to be using isn't it? The car is now on 28k and i have been changing it every 6k miles.

Valver
Oilman Im just about to change the oil on my valver, its done about 112,000 miles and hasn't had an oil change since about 96,000 :eek:

Anyway got some oil cheap from a mechanic mate, its 10w40 he said there probably wasn't much point putting 5w40 fully synt in, he suggested maybe for an engine of that age a slightly thicker oil might be better? Also he said if its had 10w40 put in all its life, no point changing to full synth now?

Sami said:
Oilman Im just about to change the oil on my valver, its done about 112,000 miles and hasn't had an oil change since about 96,000 :eek:

Anyway got some oil cheap from a mechanic mate, its 10w40 he said there probably wasn't much point putting 5w40 fully synt in, he suggested maybe for an engine of that age a slightly thicker oil might be better? Also he said if its had 10w40 put in all its life, no point changing to full synth now?

Its persoanl choice, the car will be ok on a semi synthetic but if it is driven hard then a fully synthetic would be a better bet.

There will be no issues switching from one base stock to another.

Cheers

Guy.