ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

oil changing help needed

G51 BEN
my oil light occasionally comes on, and shows that i need a service. but then if i turn my car off for 10 mins it goes off and may not come back on again for a long time.

i think this has happened three times in the 6 months ive owned it. (the oil would have been checked/changed when it was bought)

anyway i decided to check my oil, but it didnt seem to be sticking to the dipstick very well with it being warm, so i couldnt get an accurate reading...

but the question i have is:

can i top it up?
or does it really need to be drained and filled back up?
if it needs to be drained, is there a guide?

sorry if its a daft question guys...

Static Low
take a reading when the engine is cold champ.

can just top it up & depending on miles u might need a full blown oil change. i think

G51 BEN
mileage is 44k, but i dont think it was changed too long ago.

i know that before i got it, it had lights and levels, so i am presuming it will have been done then?

il check it tomorrow morning before i go anywhere...

G51 BEN
no i know its not obv.

it did it a few weeks after i first got it, then when i turned my engine off and on again, it went off and showed 'oil ok'

i am presuming there is a problem with the sensor or something, but its still making me wonder

Better off just doing an oil change. Its not that difficult to do yourself.

5l drum of oil - £15-25
Oil filter - £5
Sump plug and washer kit - £3-4

Always feels alot better after an oil change

Ph2 172
I never rely on the dash 'oil ok'.

As mentioned, check the dipstick when the engine is cold to be really sure. and make sure your on level ground to be accurate. If you know it needs a service, then a full oil change would be best.

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
Its not a daft question pal, we all start somewhere, I've just struggled to change my windscreen wipers lol.

Yeah it can be topped up, but I'd recommend a full oil change then you know you're using good oil and the same stuff.

albi 197
Learn from my mistake, this was exactly what my car was doing before the oil pressure dropped while i was driving and 2 of my conrods broke, along with the crank. £2500 it cost me for everything in the end (few other bits needed doing so i figured i'd do it all in one go).

Now I check the oil every week without fail and always keep 1L in the car just in case.

G51 BEN
iv topped the oil up with the help from a next door neighbour.. he said to me "to be honest, i wouldnt even drive to the end of my road with it that low. heres half a litre, now go to halfords and get some more"

so thats what i did haha

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
iv topped the oil up with the help from a next door neighbour.. he said to me "to be honest, i wouldnt even drive to the end of my road with it that low. heres half a litre, now go to halfords and get some more"

so thats what i did haha

That was close! :eek:

Takes a few seconds to check. I do mine at least once a month - normally one morning before setting off for work.

D.

Renaultsport Clio 172 Cup
im guessing all clio sump plugs are the same so its either 8 or 9mm (just did a change and wouldnt you guess it, somebody has "borrowed" my set). renault oil filter and sump plug washer only £1.20 more than after market, £42 for oil but that's for a 172 Cup (5W40 FS).

Evo 8 MR
You see now Ben when you buy your car from a dealer and they say it's just been fully serviced they actually mean it's not been serviced in bloody ages so by reading this thread your car is no different, get a proper oil change done asap, for your car's sake.

This is the sort of thing you shouldn't skimp on.