ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OIL in 172!!!

Golf R32 & 172 CUP

What oil do i need for my 172? its very low need to top it up tonight but not sure what i need!

Would appreciate any help

Pete

Elise/VX220/R26

anything synthetic will do, Im sure some people will be more fussy than I am about it but I just bought some valvoline fully synthetic

Ive heard that fully synthetic is too thin?

I would appreciate the opinion of anyone more knowledgeable than me though.

The Offical line from Renault, as stated in an internal document that was Re-issued to all UK dealers is that ONLY 5W40 Fully Synthetic oil was to be used in any of the Renault Sport cars.. ie Clio, Megane, V6

The document did not specify the make of oil, only the weight/grade..

Yes Fully synthetic Magnatec is fine.. 5W40.. Not the 10W40 Semi Magnatec tho...

Skoda Fabia vRS

there is no such thing as a fully synthetic Magnatec !!!

it does not exist

use a 5W-40 fully synthetic such as Carlube Triple R, Silkolene Pro S, Total Quartz 9000, Shell Helix Ultra

basically if its a 5W-40 its gonna be fully synthetic, use that....

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

yep 5/40 and esso or elf do one as well as thats what oil renault use. ill get a name for it and a part number

Skoda Fabia vRS

where did you get that from ???

i didnt know Mobil 1 in a 5W-40 was available in this country ?....only in the US

BMW 330d :)

I got the proper 5w 40 elf fully synthetic oil for my 172 cup from my dealer as it was at the halfway point after 6000 miles. It was only around £6 for 1litre too which i thought was quite reasonable.

Skoda Fabia vRS

ahhh it must be a new one then, ive been off work for 2 weeks ill bet we have got some in, or getting it soon

Ford Fiesta

Quote: Originally posted by Frasers Cup on 12 September 2004

I got the proper 5w 40 elf fully synthetic oil for my 172 cup from my dealer as it was at the halfway point after 6000 miles. It was only around £6 for 1litre too which i thought was quite reasonable.

£6?! try the contact I posted above in the other thread, sure much cheaper than that.

Golf R32 & 172 CUP

ok it was 0w 40 mobil 1 - thats what my service book said thot 5w 40 i only topped it up anyways didnt do a full change

Just a small point here.

"Synthetic oil is too thin" is a myth. Its the viscosity that determines the thickness of an oil, not the type. The type determines its lubricating qualities.

From worst to best

Mineral Oils

Hydrockacked/Modified mineral Oils

True Synthetics

By the way the recommended viscosity for your car is 5w-40, the quality is your choice!

Cheers

Simon

Skoda Fabia vRS

Quote: Originally posted by PJVTS on 13 September 2004

ok it was 0w 40 mobil 1 - thats what my service book said thot 5w 40 i only topped it up anyways didnt do a full change
should be perfectly fine mate

0w-40 is unecessary as to pass 0w it needs to pour at -35 degC.

5w-40 has to pour at -30 degC.

It will work fine but always best to stick to manufacturers recommendations so I would try to use 5w-40 if possible.

Cheers

Simon