ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

oil in inlet

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
well it'll be fun seeing those results! you should be up around 14bar
Even when the engine was supposedly 'healthy'... it has not ventured the proper side of 13 bar mate. I'll give you a buzz in the next day or so as I'd like to bring my car over to you soon. I've got a few days off work but I think you might be at the AutoSport Show... Feck, I can't wait to get the car to you and the new engine built mate! :D

"Navy" N17 TWO
Just to give myself a mini nightmare, what's it cost to have the engine rebuilt, and how long does that take?

"Navy" N17 TWO
Don't give yourself nightmares until you've had it properly checked out mate. You might not need to go so far as a complete rebuild. Fingers crossed!

The car is 10years old with 60k on it, so I hope it's got pretty healthy internals :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The car is 10years old with 60k on it, so I hope it's got pretty healthy internals :)

Ive seen them on 50k with terrible ring seal and completely coked up pistons and bearings showing real signs of wear, and likewise my mrs engine when it did the belt and I had to pull it apart was absolutely minty fresh inside, looked like it had only just come off the line practically, and that was on 140K!

IME prepeated short journeys where they dont get hot kill these engines, lots of miles done in long motorway journeys though for example dont really effect them at all.

I would wager ten days of 2 miles a day total to work and back just up the road will put more wear on than 2 journeys of 100 miles each for example, yet the first only adds 20 miles to the counter and the second adds 200.

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Just to give myself a mini nightmare, what's it cost to have the engine rebuilt, and how long does that take?

It really does depend what is required, if you just need a rering and some new stem seals etc, then its not a huge amount of work as it can be done with the engine block still in the car just by taking off the head and sump, but if the crank is marked for example then its engine and box out which is going to put the bill up.

clio 172 ph2
got a quote for £1200 for doing the valve seals. is that about right? belts included and head gasket kit. all genuine renault parts

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
got a quote for £1200 for doing the valve seals. is that about right? belts included and head gasket kit. all genuine renault parts

Sadly thats the right sort of ballpark yes, so I wouldnt be in a rush to do it until you have to given that your car is probably not worth much more than that.

Really you need to know what else is or isnt wrong with it too though, it might not just be that.

clio 172 ph2
Sadly thats the right sort of ballpark yes, so I wouldnt be in a rush to do it until you have to given that your car is probably not worth much more than that.

Really you need to know what else is or isnt wrong with it too though, it might not just be that.
is it bad for the engine when the oil is being sucked back in?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes it is.

But bear in mind how cheap a replacement engine is anyway secondhand it doesnt exactly mean you are risking something worth thousands.

"Navy" N17 TWO
This is way too technical for me now lol :eek:

Rang K-Tec today about another issue I had and mentioned this oil problem, he said he wouldn't worry too much as these engines can use oil, surely by all means monitor it.

Chip, I'll keep you in the loop as to how mine is doing in due-course but your info & advice is noted/taken on board. Cheers! :cheers:

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
so do you think im better buying a second hand 1?

I think you are better ignoring it for now TBH mate given the value of the car, if you are suffering badly with lack of performance or economy its not worth spending on if its just a road car.

172, Tiguan
I must admit, I wouldn't even consider having a rebuild (been there, done that..) just buy a known secondhand engine.

Lionel Richie

na that's a bit steep, we'd be around £850-£900 as a quick estimate (don't quote me!) including dephaser, all seals, oil and filter, head gasket, headbolts, valve stem seals, cambelt kit, aux kit etc etc

clio 172 ph2
UPDATE.................. had a comp. test done and all cylinders peak at 210 then settled just above 200. all exactly the same.
no further forward on this oil thing :-(.
what is the next step? valve seals??

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
UPDATE.................. had a comp. test done and all cylinders peak at 210 then settled just above 200. all exactly the same.
no further forward on this oil thing :-(.
what is the next step? valve seals??

If its got good compression like that (although not sure what you mean about peak and settle as its supposed to record the peak value in the first place) then its very likely its the stem seals as if its the rings then generally it effects compression results too.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Do all engines breath much oil? My car was fitted with an oil catch tank but the tank is only a tiny bit greasy and there no oil sat inside it.

clio 172 ph2
one more thing............... this problem only started after i tried to fit a 182 inlet to my 172 and created a vacumme problem. its all back the way it was before i touched it anyway.
just wondered if it would be because of this or purely coincidence?

clio 172 ph2
ANOTHER UPDATE! went on rollers on sat and car is putting out 165bhp it has a full exhaust and decat, pannel filter and fastchip remap so i would say car is defo down on power?? when on rollers the oil was pouring out back in big clouds of smoke! the guy says he does not think its valve seals because it only does it above 5000 rmp. he told be to check the part under inlet, i did and took pics.

bth_IMAG0171_zps1bc3f8c7.gif

bth_IMAG0173_zps15ccce3a.gif

clio 172 ph2
this is obv where the oil is getting drawn back in to engine. does this look like its the valve seals or could it be something else?

That looks normal to me. Plus the power figure is about right tbh.

I would be fitting a catch can so it can be monitered to see how much is passing through.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Not been keeping up with the thread so forgive me if its been covered but have you done a leakdown test yet or are you still just aimlessly guessing?

clio 172 ph2
and also, i think my sensors on the inlet manifold are becoming blocked with oil. what are the sensors called?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
if im going to fit an oil catch can, what 1 should i get i.e sizes of inlet/outlet holes and with or without breather filter?

Use a breather filter, anything half inch or so in diameter in and out should be fine, bigger the better but no point going bigger than the outlet on the engine in the first place.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Genuine renault, get them from adam, I would be surprised if a little bit of oil has killed them though TBH, check with an RS Tuner.

clio 172 ph2
Genuine renault, get them from adam, I would be surprised if a little bit of oil has killed them though TBH, check with an RS Tuner.

i have an rstuner. nothing showing. just thought i should change them because they have oil in them? does it not really affect them??