ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil in spark plugs :-(

Hi, I changed my plugs a while ago, and I noticed some oil in there, I am thinking that this is not good no, the car runs OK tho, what should i do about it?? My mate who changed them for me told me what it might be but for the life of me cant remember what he said...

Its the rocker cover gasket that is leaking... dont worry about it.. its porb the most common but harmless fault to occur on nearly all 16v/ williams.

Mine does it. As long as the oil aint getting into the cylinder I dont give a monkeys

phew, thats the blighter he was on about. I dont think its that hard a job to fix is it? the part/s are about £20-30 i think. how do you get the oil out tho? rag etc?

the rocker gasket cost bout £3 and is piss easy to fit jus undo the 8 bolts in the head and take it off, then take off the old gasket and place the new on down!

for the plugs take em all out wipe and wirebrush em all and then clean all the area near the plugs and the threads! Use something that wont leave any fluff!

Alex

ahh, cheers, no fluff eh, was thinking of putting the pet hamster down there to lick it out but might not now.

Where can I get the rocker gasket from? dont wanna get ripped off if you say its £3

lol! use the cats tail!

i got mine from halfords they normally av em in stock!

Try not to bitz of the old gasket in the head!

Well, I am not mechanically minded to be brutally honest, but this seems a simple enough job even for a f**kwit like me. I will go down there this weekend maybe

Quote: Originally posted by Essex_Lad on 30 April 2003

the rocker gasket cost bout £3 and is piss easy to fit jus undo the 8 bolts in the head and take it off, then take off the old gasket and place the new on down!

for the plugs take em all out wipe and wirebrush em all and then clean all the area near the plugs and the threads! Use something that wont leave any fluff!

Alex

Dont wire brush/clean/sand etc the plugs, they dont like to be. Most modern plugs are self cleaning and burn off any deposits during normal running, plus you can damage them.

Anybody tried instant gasket, the red/orange variety, i use it on the cam carriers and cam cover and they dont leak at all.......far better than that peice of paper.

Ive used instant gasket, both the red and orange stuff - the orange stuff is better than the red. But I find Blue Hylomar (made by Hammerite) to be the best gasket stuff you can get.

Ive been looking to do this myself, though I cant decide if its my bad pouring of oil around the cap or the gasket thatc causing oil to enter my spark plug wells.

The gaskets for the 16v/Willy/Megane 1.8/2.0 F7P/R cost about £5-8, depending on where you go. Might as well get the best quality ones, as no matter how easy the job is Id rather not have to do it again soon!

Theres too much other crap around (mainly from when that spark plug flew out of my engine) to tell. It doesnt seem that clean to me though.

But the good news is that the repair to my head, which I thought had locked one of the spark plugs in, is actually OK (bar the fouling of the top of the cylinder chamber by the insert) and means that I shouldnt need a new head in time after all. My ignition system is now delivering an even spark too.

balls......;)

Anyway, you should remember really as if you spilt it, it would involve swearing and profuse cleaning.

Yellow = Undo all eight bolts on rocker cover
Blue = Undo two bolts and take off acelerator cable if necessary
Green = Take out spark plug leads or take off leads holder

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=1051730085__Gasket.jpghttp://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=1051730085__Gasket.jpg

Ur looking for one of these around the edge of the Rocker head! take out the old one and put in a new one or put on that orange/red stuff the other r talking bout!
http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=1051729625__oil-gasket

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Essex_Lad on 30 April 2003

lol! use the cats tail!

i got mine from halfords they normally av em in stock!
you got a cats tail from halfords.. gawd.. they sell everything there nowadays..

clio williams, Ph1 172

Just realised that theyve been talkin about different engines. 1 a valver and 1 an RT. Its gonna be a harder job on the valver aint it? Dont you need more gaskets?

clio williams, Ph1 172

just seems wird how it runs down into the plug holes. Mine does it too. Makes it faster ;) hehe. Or is it just that I cant be arsed to change the gasket :confused:

hehe, yeah thats what i got when I changed my plugs, thought id buggered the engine for about 10 miles while it came out the exhaust!

valver jus has a plastic cover on top and proberly a bigger gasket!

how often should u change the oil coz i aint done it since i bought it on 90k and now ive done up to 95k?

Willy2

i thought the valver gasket was two pieces, also do you have to tighten up the bolts to a specific torque? mine is leaking from the rear of the engine and falling on to the exhaust maifold, so there is a nice burnt oil smell when you give the car a thrashing, saw some smoke the other day, only when you stop the oil leaks tho. Came out of the scoop, scared me a bit, thought i caned the engine, was flying round the M25 tho

tighten it in a spiral sequence, and there is a torque, but its not essential, jsut dont overtighten them.

you sure?

its a bit taxing, lots of bolts!

maybe if they had a lampshade handy they could bodge it!

Willy2

BenR how do know if you overtighten? did u like the pics of the rocker cover i sent u? I am planning on doing this over the weekend just dont want to mess it up

u knwo when u overtighten it coz the bolt head will come off!

jus tighten it til the is a fair resistance or until u start strainin!

tighten em in stages otherwise ull leaks!

how much would it actually cost to get a mechanic to do it?