ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil Pressure 16v

Hi Guys,

We recently changed the oil pump because the tappets were knocking a bit. We changed the pump with a genuine renault part(oil pump & filter), the correct oil (according to haynes 15w40). The pressure doesnt go above 0.1 on start or when it's warmed.. it moves a little when you rev it, maybe 1 bar max.

The oil readings before changing the pump were higher, although not great (as specified by haynes and reading what a lot of people have observed on here).. hence pump change. theres no knocking sound and the tappet sound has quietened.. so I assume all is well? maybe a duff sensor?

any ideas?

LY 182
if you take the oil cap off can you see it throwing oil about ie its pumping the oil to the top of the head?

couple of things you can do wrong fitting them,, the actual output of the pump where it joints to the block is just face fitting.. you dont want it leaking from there or obviously it will not make the pressure i tend to use a bit of lock and seal on it.

i've even seen it in the past if you dont prime the oil pump it will never suck the oil out of the sump initially.. only fix is take it back off fill the pump with oil and start again.

but id say your problem is either gauge or sensor

53 Clio's & counting
i would agree with that, also it wont make a huge difference to pressure try some thinner oil, i used 10w 40 in my old valver and noticed an increase in pressure

Hi,

thanks ditz. I will try that today.

Russ it had 10w 40 in there before, pressure was slightly higher by a notch so we thought maybe a different grade would solve the problem (obviously not!).

grrrrrrr will keep you updated.