ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ok, Whats Gamespy Comrade????

Please don't post if your going to take the piss, I am not a geek (well not much ;)) but am a self confessed Noob when it comes to most things especially PC's since 1994. Now by all means try and test me pre 1994 and I will pwn your sorry ass but given most of you weren't alive back then you will struggle ;)

OK down to business:

Tonight (and this afternoon) I downloaded Crysis from Steam:D All legal and above board. Forgive me for rambling but whats to stop me from sharing my Steam password with all et al and them too downloading Crysis????

Anyway.....

It made me download and install Punkbuster - WTF??? and Gamespy Comrade which I am yet to register and sign up for yada yada????????????

Anyone shed anylight on what this is??

Ta as always - High 5 and kisses

A red missile
Punkbuster stops people from using cheats in online games, basically it stops cheaters from using mods on games to gain advantage.

Hadn't heard of gamespy comrade but had a quick look and it seems to be an instant messaging type thing for gamers, looks a load of arse to me but try taking a look.

Last edited:

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
GameSpy was an old prgrame used for playing games online. Before all this matchmaking b****cks come about.

whats to stop me from sharing my Steam password with all et al and them too downloading Crysis????

Nothing but, you'll likely get banned from Steam unless you're all very careful and don't log in at the same time. Don't do it. Valve are fantastic developers, and they've created a fantastic content delivery system that many devs are now also using. Keep the money going into the PC games market, otherwise sooner or later all games will be held back because they'll all be multi-plats designed to run on the lowest system until the 'next-gen' (yawn) console comes out.

Valve/Steam will always get my money whenever possible. They deserve it. Fact.

In this case, Crytek also deserve every penny. Hats off to them for creating a truly amazing PC engine. They've even got it running on the consoles now by all accounts! :)

As always thanks guys

Roy I have no intention of defrauding Steam Just couldn't believe they would allow such an obvious loophole for those who do wish to defraud them.

Unless your into RTS though most games if not all action games bar Crysis just seem to be multiplats, some of which ran fine on the consoles yet take a truly hulking pc to get even a poor frame rate from - am thinking GTA4 and Saints Row 2.

On the other hand you do have titles like Fallout 3 and Farcry 2 which run fine on a moderatly powefull pc and even better on a hulker!

Clio 197
Nothing but, you'll likely get banned from Steam unless you're all very careful and don't log in at the same time. Don't do it. Valve are fantastic developers, and they've created a fantastic content delivery system that many devs are now also using. Keep the money going into the PC games market, otherwise sooner or later all games will be held back because they'll all be multi-plats designed to run on the lowest system until the 'next-gen' (yawn) console comes out.

Valve/Steam will always get my money whenever possible. They deserve it. Fact.

In this case, Crytek also deserve every penny. Hats off to them for creating a truly amazing PC engine. They've even got it running on the consoles now by all accounts! :)

Just wait until their login servers go down for a few days and all the games you have paid for become nothing more than a waste of hard drive space because the failed login has disabled offline play mode ;)

Clio 197
As always thanks guys

Roy I have no intention of defrauding Steam Just couldn't believe they would allow such an obvious loophole for those who do wish to defraud them.

Unless your into RTS though most games if not all action games bar Crysis just seem to be multiplats, some of which ran fine on the consoles yet take a truly hulking pc to get even a poor frame rate from - am thinking GTA4 and Saints Row 2.

On the other hand you do have titles like Fallout 3 and Farcry 2 which run fine on a moderatly powefull pc and even better on a hulker!

It's no more of a loophole than getting a NOCD patch for any other game, but it is a hell of a lot better than that, as soon as someone logs on it logs anyone else using that account off, unless you want to remain in offline mode permanently ;).