ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Okay to work under car with an axle stand on each corner?

I've been told that this is not good practice, but if using heavyweight axle stands all over, I can't see how its any worse than relying on a pair of wheels not rolling away.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
i wouldnt do it unless i had some very good axle stands, if the pins are weak im guessing it could collapse

VX220 Turbo
they'd do the job easily just got to make sure there's no chance of the car sliding forwards and backwards.

cant see why it's a problem it's not much worse than working on a car with 2 stands under the front which i guess is the heaviest part. just make sure it's on good ground and they're decent quality ones.

i've seen busses held up 7ft up in the air on axle stands before although i didnt risk going anywhere near it

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
jack it up and stick a spare wheel under the wheels thats what i did to change my gearbox lol.

Could't you wedge a big log under the sills or something so that if the axle stand did fail it would only drop onto the log rather than you. Obviously it would f**k the sill up but thats better than been squashed.

RRS, 172, ST3, VTS
yeh when i worked for volvo we always used to put the buses up on 6 foot axle stands. its fine as long as u dont do it on a hill or something stupid like that, also check that all 4 feet on the axle stands are on the ground, sometimes then u jack up one side to put it on the axle stand when its on a axle stand on the other side it does abit wonky, if u know what i mean.

as long as u dont do it on a hill or something stupid like that, also check that all 4 feet on the axle stands are on the ground, sometimes then u jack up one side to put it on the axle stand when its on a axle stand on the other side it does abit wonky, if u know what i mean.

Great points. Maybe the major reason that its not recommended is because it gives a false sense of security.

If its on even a small incline, I can imagine more pressure on some axles than others, especially if the axle height is set by by preset pins instead of analogue adjustment.

If on a flat plane and the proper mounting points are used however, I can see this as being a practically safe solution to bringing the vehicle half a metre up without spending £100s.

Megane 230 R26
If I have to go under mine I pop down the local fire station, lift it up on the jack and put RTA stabilisation blocks under the sills in case the jack fails... Perk of the job I guess ;)

they're perfectly safe providing they're decent stands, on solid level ground and are positioned properly. just be careful if you need to be thumping things (eg. undoing hub nuts, etc) as that could upset things if you're not sensible

106 GTi
As others have said most depends how much aggression you plan to use on parts when working under it. Leave a jack or jacks under there to if you can place them where they won't get in the way.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Could't you wedge a big log under the sills or something so that if the axle stand did fail it would only drop onto the log rather than you. Obviously it would f**k the sill up but thats better than been squashed.
Yep. Trees ftw!

172, Tiguan
Moved into this section as could prove useful in future (and its certainly better than an image section!)

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
the biggest problem that i find with axel stands is;

a. getting them in the correct points (which ties in with b.) i normally go from the front of the chasis rails for the front and the jacking point on the rear for the rears.

b. the car being equal front and rear (hight) and the car nose diving as there is no wieght at the back. so i always put the back up first, then do the front about 1 notch higher.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
i had my track car in the air on 4 stands for a year and did alsorts to it, never had a problem.